collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Season Tickets 2019/20  (Read 169470 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Season Tickets 2019/20
« Reply #420 on: June 25, 2019, 06:39:50 PM »
I thought they were only adding about 5k to the capacity, most of the cost is putting a roof on. At least I think that's what was in the article I read a few weeks back.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #421 on: June 25, 2019, 07:04:46 PM »
Why 3 seasons? Why not 5? 2? 10?

Last season there was 16,000 match day tickets available for home support  per game and as has been the case in every season before, no fundamental need for a season ticket, as supply exists in good quantities.

Now there are 8,000, including players tickets, Lion Clubs, competition winners and the like. Less than 150,000 available match tickets over the season as opposed to 304,000.

That hugely increases the need for a season ticket, increases demand that for the first time perhaps ever, Villa Park will not meet.

What would any big company do with their product? Twiddle their thumbs and see how it goes apparently, while making sure there's only 2 children in the shop at any given time.

Surely, surely, this is exactly what Edens and Sawiris hoped would happen when they took over, that demand would stress supply almost immediately? I can't think they're not licking their lips at this situation.

Online Joe S

• GM : 09.05.2024
« Reply #422 on: June 25, 2019, 07:28:51 PM »
I do enjoy all this optimism and I thank God we're in a position to talk like so.

However, is anyone else struggling to read this narrative of "let's go for it and spend X on this new stand" and then in transfer thread read "we should never spend X on a league Y player" ?

Hopefully things will progress in the right way on both fronts.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #423 on: June 25, 2019, 07:41:28 PM »
I thought it was just me who hated the North Stand.
I would like to think that the planning is going on now so at least we are Prepared.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #424 on: June 25, 2019, 07:46:15 PM »
I do enjoy all this optimism and I thank God we're in a position to talk like so.

However, is anyone else struggling to read this narrative of "let's go for it and spend X on this new stand" and then in transfer thread read "we should never spend X on a league Y player" ?

I believe that we should have a modern ground befitting of our historical standing, and spend the going rate for players of quality. Isn't it a Villa invention, such profligacy in the name of football?

Online Joe S

• GM : 09.05.2024
« Reply #425 on: June 25, 2019, 08:06:00 PM »

I believe that we should have a modern ground befitting of our historical standing, and spend the going rate for players of quality. Isn't it a Villa invention, such profligacy in the name of football?

Yes, I personally agree.

I was just remarking on the sometimes disconnect that appears on here. Go to the transfer thread, many on there are stuck quoting transfer fees that no longer exist...that was more my point.

Some seem happy for owners to spend trillions on the right sleeve colour, new badge, and hopefully better place to play, but seem offended when today's going rate gets mentioned for player X.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #426 on: June 25, 2019, 11:03:14 PM »
I thought it was just me who hated the North Stand.
I would like to think that the planning is going on now so at least we are Prepared.
Correct answer on both fronts! North Stand rebuild and Prepared back on our badge please

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #427 on: June 25, 2019, 11:05:34 PM »
I wouldn't mind sticking something like the old Trinity Road lion gable on any potential new stand. Something to make it stand out rather than just another lego stand like the Witton Lane.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #428 on: June 26, 2019, 12:04:21 AM »
I thought they were only adding about 5k to the capacity, most of the cost is putting a roof on. At least I think that's what was in the article I read a few weeks back.

New plans submitted I believe. The original 5k also involved selling the other stadium next door and has been aborted about 3 times.

The whole ground is getting a re-furb, they're putting another tier on and a roof. Theres a snazzy video floating about on YouTube with the design and build cycle.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 12:05:52 AM by Ads »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #429 on: June 26, 2019, 12:16:28 AM »
How is the atmosphere at the Camp Nou for run of the mill games, does anyone know? Given their dominance of the Spanish league, it doesn't appear to impinge on their results too much. Might be a different thing for us though. The noise and atmosphere generated by British football crowds is commonly cited as unique by foreign players playing here. The best thing O'Neill did at Villa was putting home support behind the goal at the North Stand end. As has been said, Villa Park three quarters full can be a sad place, I'd hate to see that effect multiplied. If we did expand, filling in some corners to contain the atmosphere and maybe leaving higher tiers closed for unpopular fixtures might help, I guess.

Offline Kimaster1976

« Reply #430 on: June 26, 2019, 07:26:50 AM »
The smart thing to have done would have been to arrange some kind of deal with the future rebuilt Alexander Stadium so we move in there for a year starting 2022 while Villa Park gets 2 new stands built and everything in and around the stadium is sorted properly rather than a rush job or just bits and pieces at a time.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #431 on: June 26, 2019, 08:27:47 AM »
Does anyone have any experience of the relocation day? I only want to move one seat to the left, one of the three of us couldn’t renew and his ticket was in the middle. How busy does it get, is there any benefit in getting there half an hour early?

Online thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #432 on: June 26, 2019, 08:32:17 AM »
Let’s reinstate the old Witton End; dirt bank, terracing, Bovril kiosk and all.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #433 on: June 26, 2019, 09:13:30 AM »
The smart thing to have done would have been to arrange some kind of deal with the future rebuilt Alexander Stadium so we move in there for a year starting 2022 while Villa Park gets 2 new stands built and everything in and around the stadium is sorted properly rather than a rush job or just bits and pieces at a time.
I dislike the Witton stand as much as anyone and the concourses are an absolute joke.  But I'm not sure how we can rebuild it any bigger when we are restricted by the road and houses behind it?

For me the long term vision should to be a horse shoe Trinity, North, Witton facing the mighty Holte (yes a larger single tier would be nice, but it's not a priority given the rest of the ground).  I know some don't like corners filled in but if we want capacity maximised I don't see how we can avoid it.  As for air flow for the pitch, whilst it would restrict it the majority of modern stadia around the world have the corners filled in and seem to manage.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #434 on: June 26, 2019, 11:20:47 AM »
I dislike the Witton stand as much as anyone and the concourses are an absolute joke.  But I'm not sure how we can rebuild it any bigger when we are restricted by the road and houses behind it?

For me the long term vision should to be a horse shoe Trinity, North, Witton facing the mighty Holte (yes a larger single tier would be nice, but it's not a priority given the rest of the ground).  I know some don't like corners filled in but if we want capacity maximised I don't see how we can avoid it.  As for air flow for the pitch, whilst it would restrict it the majority of modern stadia around the world have the corners filled in and seem to manage.

I think a properly designed Witton Lane stand could probably have an additional 1500-2000 seats without too much difficulty.  Thanks to the cheapskate way Ellis went about building it in the first place, the front row of the stand could be move forward by 2-3 metres, and then designed together with an overhanging second tier you could probably get quite a few more rows in the current footprint.  I'm sure it could be designed with a better roof using modern materials as well to help with the right to light issues, so potentially the seating area could go a bit higher.

Any significant increase in overall capacity would though mean having more of a horseshoe design.  If we did all of this you could probably get to a comfortable capacity in the mid 50k range, which I think would be about right in the long-term.  As to when we do it, that will always be a risk.  I would say, however, that despite what figures they report, clubs like Arsenal and Man City are not filling their grounds every week so I don't think we should beat ourselves up about having empty seats at some games - a properly designed stadium could help with the atmosphere anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal