collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Realistic Expectations  (Read 112451 times)

Offline Broadlee

Re: Realistic Expectations
« Reply #795 on: August 11, 2021, 12:15:41 PM »
With the investments and the start we had last season, if we can sustain that level then it has to be 5 down to 8 for me - if its only one or two place progression then I will be disappointed. The team at the moment cannot be judged too much because of the absentees, and we cannot assess how the new players will gel, but I am optimistic given some of the comments I have read about Bailey, Buendia. Ings is a player I have admired and equally pi***d me off because he always played well against us... he should hit the ground running and i can see the link up with Ollie working and very mobile / fluid between them. Ashley has surprised me from what i have seen and we do know his capabilities.

So with a couple of additions, it failure if we stay mid table and below and success if we are anywhere from 8 upwards, i would like to see us in Europe and how Dean can cope with that progression also.
Have a good season guys its nearly here

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #796 on: August 11, 2021, 12:32:18 PM »
A positive goal difference for the second year running. 65+ goals for. That would mean we have played entertaining football, finish top 8 and can attract decent players as we move forward. With the squad we have I see that as achievable.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #797 on: August 11, 2021, 12:40:36 PM »
Do wonder if having Joe in the team might've been part of the cause of us falling off when he's not been there. You know, he was a really good player and it's totally understandable that any non-galacticos team would become overly dependent on someone like Joe. There's maybe a psychological aspect to it. It also meant that, purely though common sense, we played a system to suit our one world class player rather than the squad as a whole.

Gut feeling is that we're going to be just fine without Joe, although the same might not be true the other way round.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #798 on: August 11, 2021, 12:47:17 PM »
I genuinely think that if we managed to get hold of a badass DM enforcer - the next N'Golo Kante - we'd easily be in the hunt for European football this year. 

Our back 5 is as good as anyone else's in the division, with the possible exception of Man City and Liverpool, and our front three will do some serious damage.  If we got someone who could hold the centre of the park on their own, in order to free two other AMs up, we'd be a match for anyone.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #799 on: August 11, 2021, 01:01:09 PM »
I genuinely think that if we managed to get hold of a badass DM enforcer - the next N'Golo Kante - we'd easily be in the hunt for European football this year. 

Our back 5 is as good as anyone else's in the division, with the possible exception of Man City and Liverpool, and our front three will do some serious damage.  If we got someone who could hold the centre of the park on their own, in order to free two other AMs up, we'd be a match for anyone.

Totally agree with this. I think we’re a little weaker than last years team with Grealish playing, and a fair bit stronger than last years team without Grealish. So without fixing CM we’re on course for something like last year, about 10-12th I’d say.

But it feels like we’re one major signing away from really lifting this level significantly, up to top 6 type of side. It’s really strange that we haven’t sorted this, as I think it’s clearly our worst area and was last year too.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #800 on: August 11, 2021, 01:02:21 PM »
Tifo do some brilliant podcasts, with excellent reorters like Seb Stafford Bloor.  Unfortunately now they are linked with the Athletic they tend to bring Gregg Evans in, which I think dumbs down the analysis they usually provide.  Even so, a decent watch / listen of post Grealish Villa:

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #801 on: August 11, 2021, 01:05:40 PM »
I think a 4-4-2 relying on a strike partnership, the creative talents of Anwar El Ghazi and Nakamba to be the new Kanté looks bottom half as all hell.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #802 on: August 11, 2021, 01:14:24 PM »
Tifo do some brilliant podcasts, with excellent reorters like Seb Stafford Bloor.  Unfortunately now they are linked with the Athletic they tend to bring Gregg Evans in, which I think dumbs down the analysis they usually provide.  Even so, a decent watch / listen of post Grealish Villa:

The presenter could've done with a script. And Greg(g) Evans has Spock ears. That is all.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #803 on: August 11, 2021, 01:27:10 PM »

Totally agree with this. I think we’re a little weaker than last years team with Grealish playing, and a fair bit stronger than last years team without Grealish. So without fixing CM we’re on course for something like last year, about 10-12th I’d say.

But it feels like we’re one major signing away from really lifting this level significantly, up to top 6 type of side. It’s really strange that we haven’t sorted this, as I think it’s clearly our worst area and was last year too.

Echo this.

A top draw DM will bring us into the top 6, but without one I fear we will drop a couple of places. It is a pivotal moment and I hope the club seize the opportunity.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #804 on: August 11, 2021, 01:43:25 PM »

Echo this.

A top draw DM will bring us into the top 6, but without one I fear we will drop a couple of places. It is a pivotal moment and I hope the club seize the opportunity.

Top draw DMs don't grow on trees. Are we even in the market for one?

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #805 on: August 11, 2021, 02:54:09 PM »
Arsenal and Spurs have actually strengthened so surpassing them will be especially tough. Gil and Romero will make Spurs better, while White, though overpriced, will definitely stop the Arse leaking so much.

Arsenal's problem is they still have loads of underachieving senior pros all doing little. Last season we beat them home and away with likes of Willian, Auba, Lacazette and Xhaka all starting so same will likely play again as they haven't signed anyone yet in final third and they're incredibly going to give Xhaka a new 4 year deal!

Spurs hinges on whether Kane stays or not. He goes and we have a big chance of finishing above them for what seems like first time since 1998. They haven't replaced Bale either and Son was pretty poor from Feb onwards so their attack is actually much weaker currently than last season so can see them having a slow start to the season and London press getting into a panic. Romero at the back is a very good defender though, someone Mourinho really needed when he was there.

Sorry Soccer, I usually nod along to all of your posts but I'm not having this! Between 1998 and 2009 we finished ahead of Spurs almost every season. Don't let the decade of doom hide the better times.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #806 on: August 11, 2021, 03:03:09 PM »

After losing out talisman, I have to think anything top half would be a great achievement this season.

It's very hard to predict how the new signings will settle and how fast of course, but fingers crossed it's sooner rather than later obviously

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #807 on: August 11, 2021, 03:21:57 PM »
Phil McNulty on the beeb has us down for 8th. I think I'd take it now.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #808 on: August 11, 2021, 03:26:07 PM »
I think a 4-4-2 relying on a strike partnership, the creative talents of Anwar El Ghazi and Nakamba to be the new Kanté looks bottom half as all hell.

Although I don't think it will stay that way for long and there are are legitimate reasons for it, I expect we will start the first few games with Nakamba and El Ghazi both in the starting line up.

Caught a discussion about us on Talk Sport earlier where they said we would likely finish in the same position as last season. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 04:34:20 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline malckennedy

« Reply #809 on: August 11, 2021, 03:40:50 PM »
I don’t agree that DM has been our worst area over the last season or so. I think our worst area has been in the final third of the pitch, particularly so when Grealish wasn’t playing. Trezeguet, AEG and Traore very frequently lost possession cheaply so that the opposition were able to come back at us and threaten. And of course, the less said about Barkley the better.

I believe the acquisition of Buendia and Bailey will go a long way to solving that problem. I’m also hopeful that Traore will step up this season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal