collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Realistic Expectations  (Read 112434 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Realistic Expectations
« Reply #810 on: August 11, 2021, 03:49:33 PM »
I don’t agree that DM has been our worst area over the last season or so. I think our worst area has been in the final third of the pitch, particularly so when Grealish wasn’t playing. Trezeguet, AEG and Traore very frequently lost possession cheaply so that the opposition were able to come back at us and threaten. And of course, the less said about Barkley the better.

I believe the acquisition of Buendia and Bailey will go a long way to solving that problem. I’m also hopeful that Traore will step up this season.

You think that in the season we put 7 past Liverpool and only 7 teams in the division scored more than us, despite us finishing 11th, our attack was the problem?!

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #811 on: August 11, 2021, 03:49:55 PM »
I don’t agree that DM has been our worst area over the last season or so. I think our worst area has been in the final third of the pitch, particularly so when Grealish wasn’t playing. Trezeguet, AEG and Traore very frequently lost possession cheaply so that the opposition were able to come back at us and threaten. And of course, the less said about Barkley the better.

I believe the acquisition of Buendia and Bailey will go a long way to solving that problem. I’m also hopeful that Traore will step up this season.

who knows what to expect with him?

Just expect the unexpected

Online malckennedy

« Reply #812 on: August 11, 2021, 03:55:55 PM »

You think that in the season we put 7 past Liverpool and only 7 teams in the division scored more than us, despite us finishing 11th, our attack was the problem?!

Yes. That’s why I posted it.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #813 on: August 11, 2021, 03:57:05 PM »
Phil McNulty on the beeb has us down for 8th. I think I'd take it now.

Bloody hell mate, you'll be advocating 3-5-2 next.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #814 on: August 11, 2021, 04:10:34 PM »
When we were good we were very good, other times bang average

Online malckennedy

« Reply #815 on: August 11, 2021, 04:17:20 PM »

Eight teams scored more goals than us and Arsenal scored the same number. Only six teams conceded fewer than us and Brighton conceded the same number. For what it’s worth.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #816 on: August 11, 2021, 04:29:27 PM »
We just didn't allocate the goals in the most efficient way!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #817 on: August 11, 2021, 04:43:32 PM »
I have gone for 8th-12th and I think FourFourTwo magazine tipped us for something similar.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #818 on: August 11, 2021, 04:43:43 PM »

Eight teams scored more goals than us and Arsenal scored the same number. Only six teams conceded fewer than us and Brighton conceded the same number. For what it’s worth.

Our defence and attack were generally decent and, as your numbers show, would normally have been enough for us to be 3-4 places higher in the league. What let us down was game management and control, if teams got a foothold in midfield we struggled to break things up and put them on the back foot again. That's why so many people want a midfielder who can dominate that part of the pitch for us.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #819 on: August 11, 2021, 04:45:12 PM »

We looked wide open in midfield at times last season, with opposition players being able to carry the ball for long distances without being challenged.  Although we have improved a lot in the area, we still looked vulnerable defending set pieces at times last season, so could do with a physical presence in there.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #820 on: August 11, 2021, 04:50:16 PM »
Last week when I thought we weeks reinvest the ratboy cash quickly in 2/3 quality players I thought top 6 was realistic. Today, I would take 8th. We are those 2/3 away from that top 6 challenge. I hope we get a couple more in, but fear we won't.

Offline frank black

« Reply #821 on: August 11, 2021, 04:55:37 PM »
Last week when I thought we weeks reinvest the ratboy cash quickly in 2/3 quality players I thought top 6 was realistic. Today, I would take 8th. We are those 2/3 away from that top 6 challenge. I hope we get a couple more in, but fear we won't.

There’s maybe going to be some deadline day business, because we are probably being held to ransom right now. There’s bound to be everyone  wanting a slice of the Grealish pie (and who can blame them)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #822 on: August 11, 2021, 05:08:28 PM »

I agree we need a couple in and should be targeting 6-8 if we do.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #823 on: August 11, 2021, 06:07:27 PM »
Even if we do get two or three more in, that's a turnover of more than half the team. They'll take months to get into the groove with each other.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #824 on: August 11, 2021, 06:11:17 PM »
It sounded to me from Purslow's message that we're done in the transfer market. Which would be disappointing as we've "replaced" Judas with three players but have we improved? I'm a bit worried and would be happy with 11th again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal