collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Realistic Expectations  (Read 113405 times)

Offline Three Spires Villa

Re: Realistic Expectations
« Reply #540 on: February 23, 2021, 07:57:21 AM »
Bit melodramatic, we've won 3 of the last 7 which is roughly in line with what Everton have done and better than Spurs and Liverpool.

Or to put in another way, 3 of the last 10, which doesn't sound quite so rosy, is just slightly better than relegation form, and is 16th in the form table.

10 games since December 28th. We were shut down in that period of time for 2 weeks due to Covid so our schedule was even more compressed. 4 of those games against the current top 4, another against Chelsea. We played well in that span of time and more recently look knackered which is hardly surprising.

Which makes aDeans late subs and sticking with the same players from game 1 bar injury, seems odd to me

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #541 on: March 07, 2021, 09:06:45 AM »
can someone tell me if M City win the league cup and another top 4 team win the FA cup how many spots does it come down to in the premier league for a Europa place

I’m still living in hope only I think we might have blown it on Wednesday night against Sheffield United
Maybe we’ll look back at that game the same way as we do the Stoke City game many moons ago

Offline Luke8

« Reply #542 on: March 07, 2021, 10:07:53 AM »
I *think* it’s two spots for the Europa League and one for that new Europa Conference thing. So I believe the lowest it could come down to in the league is 7th, if the cups are won by clubs that are already qualified for Europe.

The only thing that might make it drop to 8th is if, say, Liverpool win the Champions League and finish outside the top four.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #543 on: March 07, 2021, 10:20:56 AM »
We are fifteen points and five wins better off than we were after the same number of games last season and still a lot to play for. That’s progress no matter how you look at it. I think the problem lately is the central midfield have been fine defending and anchoring the middle of the park but going forward the spare midfielder and two wide men are inconsistent with end product - and effort - in Barkley’s case. No matter how we finish this season I think the board will only try and rectify this in the summer. Wesley should be back soon and I know we haven’t seen the best of him but he was just starting to find some form when he was crippled by that dirty Burnley b&@s(a/d.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #544 on: March 07, 2021, 10:35:06 AM »
40 points with 12 games to go is great. Now let's see if the season fizzles out or if we make a push for top 7 and possibly Europe. No matter what happens it's miles better than last year.

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
« Reply #545 on: March 07, 2021, 10:47:08 AM »
Agreed. We will never know how much difference that covid break made - gloss has gone since then.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #546 on: March 07, 2021, 10:50:51 AM »
It's the owners expectations that excite me. They are born winners and in the long term, will not settle for second best. After a 200m plus investment, I guess they are pleased with progress to date but after more investment will demand a top four position next season.

The current squad and all staff have to individually prove they are top four material or they are gone. We have the nucleus of a top team, ambitious owners with money in a depressed market and a current squad who have to prove their future worth.

With that in mind, our players and management still have a lot to play for this season or the door beckons.

Ruthless but necessary for any successful club. Exciting times ahead.  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 11:05:39 AM by Baldy »

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #547 on: March 07, 2021, 11:00:20 AM »
It's the owners expectations that excite me. They are born winners and in the long term, will not settle for second best. After a 200m plus investment, I guess they are pleased with progress to date but after more investment will demand a top four position next season.

The current squad and all staff have to prove they are top four material or they are gone. We have the nucleus of a top team, ambitious owners with money in a depressed market and a current squad who have to prove their future worth.

With that in mind, our players and management still have a lot to play for this season or the door beckons.

Ruthless but necessary for any successful club. Exciting times ahead.  :)

well put Agree with all that

Offline ez

« Reply #548 on: March 07, 2021, 03:13:52 PM »
I have to admit I worry for Dean Smith next season. He's not been a top flight manager for long and next season he's expected to deliver champions league qualification. I hope he can do it as I'd hate to see him binned after all the good he's done for us.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #549 on: March 07, 2021, 03:22:23 PM »
Midtable championship to top 10 in the Premier league within two years is without a doubt fantastic progression. Put aside recent frustrations and the nagging doubt of missed opportunities and just view it as the total turnaround that it is from afar.

We've gone from looking the poorer side in 85% of our games last season to more than holding our own. Next seasons progression would be looking to push the edges of the top 6. With the money being pumped in it has to be year on year progression, so from top 10 has to be top 6-8. Smith has made a rod for his own back moving from 17th to top half in one jump, I hope he lives up to the challenge.

Offline garyellis

« Reply #550 on: March 07, 2021, 03:25:26 PM »
What’s the minimum net investment needed to give us a real shot at top 4 next season?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #551 on: March 07, 2021, 03:27:48 PM »
What’s the minimum net investment needed to give us a real shot at top 4 next season?

Top quality right winger, another good striker in the squad and also some smart business at full back as it obviously dips whenever a first choice gets injured.

Can't really see us signing that well to be in serious contention for top 4, 6th or 7th perhaps.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #552 on: March 07, 2021, 03:33:48 PM »
It depends on whether Luiz, Nakamba and Sanson can improve a bit next season. If they can we'd probably be looking at an upgrade on McGinn, a winger and another striker, then a couple of squad defenders. 

Offline JuanMartinez

« Reply #553 on: March 07, 2021, 03:35:54 PM »
Back up In both FB positions, 1 x winger upgrade and a CF pushing Ollie and we will be cooking on gas.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #554 on: March 07, 2021, 03:38:29 PM »
It depends on whether Luiz, Nakamba and Sanson can improve a bit next season. If they can we'd probably be looking at an upgrade on McGinn, a winger and another striker, then a couple of squad defenders. 

I'm o.k with central midfield options. Sanson and Ramsey coming on nicely and will play far more next season. Perhaps look at that mid season but we've got far more pressing areas to improve during the summer.

Back to realistic expectations....finishing above Liverpool remains possible given what I've been watching from them this afternoon. They're in a proper tragic slump.

This stays as it is and we beat Newcastle and we'll be above them with a game in hand still.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal