collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:33:36 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:33:23 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:31:35 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Gareth
[Today at 09:31:25 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by dave.woodhall
[Today at 09:25:33 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:21:03 AM]

Lucas Digne - Signed by VillaTim
[Today at 09:18:49 AM]

Champions League Contention by rob_bridge
[Today at 09:13:41 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Realistic Expectations  (Read 113775 times)

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: Realistic Expectations
« Reply #510 on: July 28, 2020, 08:35:51 AM »
Interesting too that Leicester's form on resumption was pretty dire - in fact they've looked ordinary ever since we beat them in the Cup.

That’ll be the influence of Brendan Tactical Genius Rogers.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #511 on: July 28, 2020, 08:39:05 AM »
They even managed to lose to Norwich.

Offline Hairbandinho

« Reply #512 on: July 28, 2020, 08:39:14 AM »
16th? Newcastle will soon overtake us once the Saudi thing gets confirmed. I think Leeds will be ok with Bielsa. Albion, Brighton, maybe WHAM may be in the relegation mix with us.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #513 on: July 28, 2020, 08:40:59 AM »
Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Leicester, Wolves (for now), maybe Everton and Newcastle (if the sale goes through) should be fairly safe.

Everyone else starts the season knowing that they could be in a relegation battle.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #514 on: July 28, 2020, 08:44:01 AM »
I'll take anything above 17th in year one!

Me too. Actually, I'll take 17th. It's a massive leap from the Championship to the Premier League and our squad at the moment is nowhere near ready to challenge some of the other lower Premier League teams. Staying up - without having to go through any last game dramas to do so - would be my realistic expectation. With some great games along the way

Last game dramas? what was I thinking?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #515 on: July 28, 2020, 08:53:18 AM »
I’d expect an improvement over this season. Can’t see us going down. Despite what Purslow said last year about wanting to challenge at the top, I reckon top 10 is a realistic target in the second season back. Not saying we’ll do it, just that it should be our target. I think a lot depends now on Grealish staying or going. Assuming he does leave for around 70-75 mill- that’s 3 quality players in for that money. From his and Smith’s comments I reckon they’ve agreed he can go if someone stumps up and he wants to go to wherever it may be. Love it if he stays though. If we can resolve that question early, we’ll be better placed to strengthen in other positions and hopefully be settled relatively by the start of the season. I don’t want it dragging on for weeks. Either get it done early, or rule it out. Fk getting dragged into some protracted haggle with Utd or whoever, which is what presumably they will try and do. Hopefully if they’ve agreed he can go, there will be a clear price tag and timeframe attached to it. May be done already for all we know.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #516 on: February 21, 2021, 08:58:46 PM »
Worth digging this up again because I think one or two us are getting a little carried away with where we should be. Created by the start we had, some of the results and individual performances. But at the start of the season, if someone had a crystal ball and told us that having finished 4th bottom on the last day of the previous campaign, after 23 games we'd be sitting above Tottenham, Arsenal and Wolves, 4 points back of Everton and the champions Liverpool, the latter with 2 games in hand, not one of us would have believed it.

Irrespective of the past few games where we have been a bit up and down and squeezed in something like 7 games in 25 days we have had a superb season with 15 still to go where in all likelihood we will finish just around where we are now. Finishing in the top 10 would have beyond most of us interms of our realistic expectaions at the start of this season.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #517 on: February 21, 2021, 09:01:32 PM »
Mid table mediocrity will do me just fine this season, thank you very much!

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #518 on: February 21, 2021, 09:06:29 PM »
Season we've had would be disappointing to drop out of top 10 now.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #519 on: February 21, 2021, 09:11:25 PM »
Worth digging this up again because I think one or two us are getting a little carried away with where we should be. Created by the start we had, some of the results and individual performances. But at the start of the season, if someone had a crystal ball and told us that having finished 4th bottom on the last day of the previous campaign, after 23 games we'd be sitting above Tottenham, Arsenal and Wolves, 4 points back of Everton and the champions Liverpool, the latter with 2 games in hand, not one of us would have believed it.

Irrespective of the past few games where we have been a bit up and down and squeezed in something like 7 games in 25 days we have had a superb season with 15 still to go where in all likelihood we will finish just around where we are now. Finishing in the top 10 would have beyond most of us interms of our realistic expectaions at the start of this season.

All fair points, but it's just so dispiriting seeing us enter into another period where the football is dire after such a good start to the season. From feeling we can beat anybody on our day to wondering where the next win is coming from.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #520 on: February 21, 2021, 09:12:10 PM »
Dirty Leeds next weekend.

Offline 260475

« Reply #521 on: February 21, 2021, 09:13:31 PM »
Top 10 (per my Ladbrokes venture pre season) is acceptable, great even.

Much better season than I really expected, Martinez definitely has made the difference.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #522 on: February 21, 2021, 09:25:54 PM »
A top 6-10 finish would be amazing progress. We’ve got to continue to strengthen and develop the squad.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #523 on: February 21, 2021, 09:26:51 PM »

All fair points, but it's just so dispiriting seeing us enter into another period where the football is dire after such a good start to the season. From feeling we can beat anybody on our day to wondering where the next win is coming from.

True but relative to other sides around us and vying for those same spots we are not much different in terms of form. Of the sides I mentioned Everton have been marginally better, Liverpool and Spurs terrible, Wolves have recently improved and Arsenal are massively average. Even Chelsea just at the top of those teams had to fire their manager to get back to any form. So yes of course it’s been a struggle of late and like everyone I hope Jack is back quickly and we can get back to a bit of the brilliant football we were once playing. But even if we don’t the general form we’ve showed in the past couple of months will get us to around 56/57 points which last season was good enough for around 8th I believe.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #524 on: February 21, 2021, 09:34:49 PM »
January and Feb's form of 10 points from 9 games would see us finish on 52 points, which last year would have seen us end the season in 11th. We should be perfectly capable of winning the next 4 games, even without Jack, but I also wouldn't be shocked if we didn't win any of them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal