collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Realistic Expectations  (Read 112420 times)

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
Re: Realistic Expectations
« Reply #420 on: August 12, 2019, 06:46:56 AM »
Yes, it’s a learning curve, but Smith came straight out and said he’d be looking at his decisions and the player’s decisions and what was done wrong and needs to be better.  You’re only in trouble when you stop doing that, so I am positive,

I’d rather start against the European Championship runners-up and learn something real than start with easier fixtures that build false confidence.  Let’s face it, we could have played several teams with that set-up and won, but it wouldn’t have helped us like today.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 08:36:08 AM by Dogtanian »

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #421 on: August 12, 2019, 07:08:35 AM »
I just think we had a difficult game to kick off from. Did alright for an hour

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #422 on: August 12, 2019, 07:54:21 AM »
Players will have to adjust to the pace and pressure of the premiership very quickly
The what? ;-)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #423 on: August 12, 2019, 11:05:32 AM »
I watched highlights of Leicester Wolves and they look a level above us right now.
Every game is tough in this league.
My expectations have lowered after the weekend as i have watched more PL football  than for a long time.

Good point for Wolves considering they played largely the same 11 in Armenia on Thursday.

We play them just after a europa game in November so hope for a few injuries if they make it that far. They don't have a huge amount of depth.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #424 on: August 12, 2019, 11:41:11 AM »
Surely got to finish above Newcastle btw. Dosen't seem Jonelithon played much better than Wesley so think scoring goals will be massive issue for them.

People disappointed we lost to a Spurs team without likes of Son and Dele Alli, would've been more disappointed losing at home to Arsenal playing Chambers, Willock and Reiss Nelson. Can only imagine cdbullyweefan having to dust his Rothmans yearbook out and seeing who these odd names playing for Arsenal were. (wink)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #425 on: August 12, 2019, 11:56:03 AM »
Newcastle were an absolute comedy shambles at times.  Bruce sent on a sub, who seemingly had no clue where he was supposed to be playing, and spent a few minutes running around like a puppy chasing a balloon until he finally got told where he was meant to be. 

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #426 on: August 12, 2019, 12:54:45 PM »
This a season for finding which players are up to it and who will be found wanting. As long as we get through the season without serious concerns of relegation I will be happy because we have owners with serious money backing us and they will not be content for too long with making up the numbers.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #427 on: August 12, 2019, 03:22:00 PM »
I'm not overly concerned with what I saw at the weekend.  We won't play teams as good as Spurs that often and some of the other teams were somewhere between nothing special and rather poor - e.g. Bournemouth, Watford, Palace, Everton, Southampton, Newcastle, even Arsenal.  We played some good stuff at times and carved Spurs open once or twice first half. 

We've still got some good players to come in as well, and it may need a little time for them to fully settle and gel. 

Trezeguet needs to improve his decision making and finishing rapidly though, two very poor and weak attempts from two very clear chances, one of which he could have squared to Wesley who was wide open.   By contrast McGinn's finish was very composed, with the little dummy to commit the defender before slotting in.  We need more of that at the sharp end. 

I also think our owners will be happy with consolidation this PL this season, since it's a bit of a bonus even being there so soon, and I think as long as we stay up  that they will then look to invest a second season's TV money in some heavy hitters.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #428 on: August 17, 2019, 05:35:49 PM »
Just had a look at last years table.

Reality is we were always going to lose plenty of games this season so completely different to way last two seasons have gone. Already unsettling a few fans.

Last season Spurs finished 3rd losing 13 games but that was anamoly due to them only drawing twice.

Wolves in 7th lost 13 and Leicester and West Ham lost 16 games. They finished 9th and 10th respectively.

Burnley lost 20 games. They were 15th and 6 points above relegation which was more or less my prediction for us 10 days ago.

Reality is the top teams are so strong now most teams in this league will lost nearly half their games. 20 defeats is the limit going by last season's table if you want to stay up.

From a distance seems there's this idea likes of Watford, Brighton, Burnley etc are rubbish but I fear they won't look so bad when playing us as they've all been at this level for 3-4 years so know what it takes at key points, we don't.

Burnley played very well at Arsenal today so that will be another tough one in a few weeks when we play them at VP.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #429 on: August 17, 2019, 05:38:30 PM »
Just had a look at last years table.

Reality is we were always going to lose plenty of games this season so completely different to way last two seasons have gone. Already unsettling a few fans.

Last season Spurs finished 3rd losing 13 games but that was anamoly due to them only drawing twice.

Wolves in 7th lost 13 and Leicester and West Ham lost 16 games. They finished 9th and 10th respectively.

Burnley lost 20 games. They were 15th and 6 points above relegation which was more or less my prediction for us 10 days ago.

Reality is the top teams are so strong now most teams in this league will lost nearly half their games. 20 defeats is the limit going by last season's table if you want to stay up.

From a distance seems there's this idea likes of Watford, Brighton, Burnley etc are rubbish but I fear they won't look so bad when playing us as they've all been at this level for 3-4 years so know what it takes at key points, we don't.

Burnley played very well at Arsenal today so that will be another tough one in a few weeks when we play them at VP.

So, who are you expecting us to beat?

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #430 on: August 17, 2019, 06:04:03 PM »
We can get draws in those games, I'm not saying they're all going to be like today but they will be tough.

Actually key game for me is away to Palace in two weeks. Looking at their squad I don't see many goals at all, it is still very Zaha dependant.

Will watch Sheffield United-Palace tomorrow and see what they look like but can see them being really dragged into relegation so the result we get there will be key. If we can go to Selhurst and pinch a win that should be the lift off we need.

Offline levico

« Reply #431 on: August 17, 2019, 06:07:34 PM »
Desperately looking for games we might sneak points out of.
This is all depressingly familiar.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #432 on: August 17, 2019, 09:30:21 PM »
Pre season optimism is already waning .....as I stated  on another thread I will be relieved if we can achieve 17th but if we struggle against Bournemouth, Palace and Burnley then it's going to be an almighty struggle ... I want to be positive but I don't think we have enough goals in us to win many games
Hope I proved wrong

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #433 on: August 17, 2019, 09:44:47 PM »
I’ll have a bit of 17th please. With a side order of a 7 point cushion plus superior goal difference to help my heart condition.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #434 on: August 17, 2019, 09:45:58 PM »
As gutting as it is and I appreciate the diminishing confidence levels but we cannot let two defeats be an indicator of what is a long season. We will improve. We did today save a couple of crazy incidents. BELIEVE

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal