collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Realistic Expectations  (Read 113422 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Realistic Expectations
« Reply #435 on: August 17, 2019, 09:49:03 PM »
Never mind 17th, I just want more than 17 points!

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #436 on: August 17, 2019, 09:56:22 PM »
As gutting as it is and I appreciate the diminishing confidence levels but we cannot let two defeats be an indicator of what is a long season. We will improve. We did today save a couple of crazy incidents. BELIEVE

This. I might have to bring back my positivity thread. Friday night vs Everton VP should be rocking. Support our team and our manager, there is a long way to go.

UTV

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #437 on: August 17, 2019, 09:57:42 PM »
I understand what you are saying TV but watching Villa for approx 57 years has made me extremely cynical........
VCTM jnr and I headed south really looking forward to the game but we're left totally deflated after 15 mad minutes
I've seen it all before and should know better than to get too upset ..........but I looked around at all the young kids sitting in the seats around me and they all looked totally bemused....l felt like saying you've got a life time of disappointment to " look forward to" As much as I love the Villa they do mess with your head :(

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #438 on: August 17, 2019, 10:19:43 PM »
I understand what you are saying TV but watching Villa for approx 57 years has made me extremely cynical........
VCTM jnr and I headed south really looking forward to the game but we're left totally deflated after 15 mad minutes
I've seen it all before and should know better than to get too upset ..........but I looked around at all the young kids sitting in the seats around me and they all looked totally bemused....l felt like saying you've got a life time of disappointment to " look forward to" As much as I love the Villa they do mess with your head :(

Haha I said to a mate of mine earlier "Aston Villa - ruining weekends since 2010" but in reality it's been a lot longer than that.

Seriously though I know what you mean. This division isn't easy and even the teams we "should" beat like Bournemouth have now themselves been here for a few years with a tried and tested manager and experienced players. Not only are the players going to have to learn quickly but so is our manager, who we all love, but truth is he is as inexperienced as the players. He's going to be naive at times and be caught out. But if there is one thing we know about him is that he won't just revert to type and roll up his sleeves and socks. He will learn and plan for the next game. It will come good VCTM.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #439 on: August 17, 2019, 10:27:23 PM »

Haha I said to a mate of mine earlier "Aston Villa - ruining weekends since 2010" but in reality it's been a lot longer than that.

Seriously though I know what you mean. This division isn't easy and even the teams we "should" beat like Bournemouth have now themselves been here for a few years with a tried and tested manager and experienced players. Not only are the players going to have to learn quickly but so is our manager, who we all love, but truth is he is as inexperienced as the players. He's going to be naive at times and be caught out. But if there is one thing we know about him is that he won't just revert to type and roll up his sleeves and socks. He will learn and plan for the next game. It will come good VCTM.

I had the horrible realisation that, if Bournemouth are one of the teams we 'should' beat, we are on that list for the 19 other teams.

Offline KRS

« Reply #440 on: August 18, 2019, 03:17:56 AM »
It’s always easier to name the teams we should take points from than actually taking the points from them...casing point being Bournemouth today, however another cliche is that on another day without those mistakes then we could/would/should win. On that basis, Bournemouth are still on my list of teams we should be taking points off and aiming to finish above, and based on what I’ve seen so far this season...

Bournemouth
Everton
Newcastle
Crystal Palace
Brighton
Southampton
Watford
Burnley
West Ham
Sheff Utd
Norwich

There’s enough average/poor teams there for us to take points off and ensure we avoid any kind of relegation scrap. My only concern at this early stage is that we don’t appear to have a natural goal scorer leading the line, and there’s nothing we can do about that until January so the front 5 need to function better as a unit and all be contributing goals.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #441 on: August 19, 2019, 08:17:43 AM »
I still believe we will finish circa 12th

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #442 on: August 19, 2019, 08:45:49 AM »
It’s a bit much to say ‘should’ beat. Even arrogance. Bournemouth are a well established PL team, we were never going to just roll them over.

That said all our home games (with exceptions of man city and l-pool) are ‘could’ wins and but for a mad first 10 mins we could have got something out of the game.

More lessons learned. I’d even be happy with a draw against everton on Friday, just to show some progress. 

Offline Reuben

« Reply #443 on: August 19, 2019, 09:50:46 AM »
Draw would be fine but I hope DS doesn't play cautiously with this intention.

Win and we'd be mid-table, lose and we could be bottom (until Newcastle play).  You wonder how fans of Watford are feeling.  The games at the end of the month (us at Palace, Newcastle v Watford) may give an indication of how the season will go for these clubs.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #444 on: August 19, 2019, 10:19:36 AM »
They are about to discuss the prospects for the season of Villa, Norwich and Sheffield United on Talksport.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #445 on: August 19, 2019, 10:21:27 AM »
It’s a bit much to say ‘should’ beat. Even arrogance. Bournemouth are a well established PL team, we were never going to just roll them over.

That said all our home games (with exceptions of man city and l-pool) are ‘could’ wins and but for a mad first 10 mins we could have got something out of the game.

More lessons learned. I’d even be happy with a draw against everton on Friday, just to show some progress. 

Bournemouth reminded me of Portsmouth under Harry Redknapp, with lots of very physically imposing athletes all over the pitch.  Some big units in that team.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #446 on: August 19, 2019, 10:28:01 AM »
They are about to discuss the prospects for the season of Villa, Norwich and Sheffield United on Talksport.

Wurzel Holloway being very generous about us and Smith again.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #447 on: August 19, 2019, 10:36:21 AM »

Ian Holloway fancies all three promoted clubs to stay up. He said Norwich played really well against Newcastle and Sheffield United competed well against Palace. He said Dean Smith wants Villa to dominate the ball and go for points which is an attitude that impresses him. Perry Groves thinks Villa and Norwich might be too attacking for their own good and may take some heavy beatings.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #448 on: August 19, 2019, 10:41:16 AM »
Thought Leicester were very impressive at Chelsea yesterday, should've won it with how they played in the second half.

Again tempering expectations, Jack is going to be a fantastic player but he needs time to mature at this level like he did in championship. Talk of him just walking into the England squad now we're up is very premature. Aside from some wild shooting James Maddison ran the show second half.

Also think we could take a point or three off Chelsea. We've generally had a decent record against them down the years (bar one obvious exception!) and looking at their 11 it just dosen't look that strong anymore with no Hazard. If you can pass between the lines quickly like Leicester did you can get at that back 4.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #449 on: August 19, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »

A draw would be a good result on Friday

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal