collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Snooker by Exeter 77
[Today at 09:02:11 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by FatSam
[Today at 08:58:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 08:55:36 PM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by brontebilly
[Today at 08:55:16 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by eamonn
[Today at 08:50:37 PM]

The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by Rotterdam
[Today at 08:42:17 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 08:12:47 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by OCD
[Today at 08:09:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Snooker by Exeter 77
[Today at 09:02:11 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by FatSam
[Today at 08:58:23 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 08:55:36 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by brontebilly
[Today at 08:55:16 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by LeeB
[Today at 08:52:49 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by brontebilly
[Today at 08:51:05 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by eamonn
[Today at 08:50:37 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by brontebilly
[Today at 08:43:12 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Realistic Expectations  (Read 113949 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Realistic Expectations
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2019, 09:51:56 PM »
Interesting in the initial polling that a Europa league spot appears out of our reach. Wolves managed it so I do wonder how that perspective will change as the summer progresses and the squad evolves?

They did have a far better team when they got promoted then we currently have. That's why they won the league.

We need to do more work on recruitment for sure. But we shouldn't go mental and start changing the whole side clearly. Maybe 4-5 new starters are needed though IMHO. Starting with two fullbacks

Yet somehow we absolutely battered them at Villa Park. And this season, ifs and buts I know, but could you argue that with Dean Smith all season, his philosophies and signings across two windows and has Grealish stayed fit we would have won the division as comfortably? Wolves certainly have talent and bought well in the summer to compliment what they had but we can make up some ground. And maybe it won’t be enough for Europa but mid table solidity should be within reach.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2019, 09:55:24 PM »
Fuck Wulvz.

And, of course, Fuck the Albion.

There was another team I was going to throw in, but their name escapes me. Something 'heath' I think.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2019, 10:02:41 PM »
Fuck Wulvz.

There was another team I was going to throw in, but their name escapes me. Something 'heath' I think.

Yeah, fuck off Newton Heath.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2019, 10:03:45 PM »
I have gone for 8th-12th. But I accept we may well be lower than that in the table at a number of points in the season. If we go the whole season without being in the bottom six at any point that would be nice for a start.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2019, 10:05:36 PM »
Fuck Wulvz.

Yeah, fuck off Newton Heath.

Yeah, must have been them!

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2019, 10:23:02 PM »
Yep, fuck consolidating. We're not a promoted club. We're the returning power back from the quagmire, and we're really quite fucked off about it.

Let them all worry about us. Liverpool, the absolute choking nonentities, lost a game this season and so deservedly didn't win the league. We know what we have to do. I expect that we'll draw a couple, but apart from that I foresee an unchallenged re-coronation. We will receive apologies, in writing and full page ads in the quality press, from the rest of the 'Premier League' clubs to Aston Villa for daring to think that they deserved to share a pitch with us. UEFA will invite us to its G14 meetings, or whatever the fuck they're called, and we will respond by disbanding UEFA.

This will be followed in short order by Nassef Siwiris writing a letter to the boards of the 'top six', inviting them to enter the sea, pockets-first. We will then write to twelve clubs in the Midlands and North-West of England, inviting them to provide us with a justification for allowing them to play against us in a revised league format.

Richard Keys will then be burned and catering will be provided.

I have this overwhelming urge to shout 'what is dead may never die' or some such nerd shit. Which is to say I'm feeling quite revved up about this coming season, in spite of all my more sensible instincts. Come on Villa, let's fucking funeral these top flight mugs.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 10:25:01 PM by Monty »

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2019, 10:47:21 PM »
Yep, fuck consolidating. We're not a promoted club. We're the returning power back from the quagmire, and we're really quite fucked off about it.

Let them all worry about us. Liverpool, the absolute choking nonentities, lost a game this season and so deservedly didn't win the league. We know what we have to do. I expect that we'll draw a couple, but apart from that I foresee an unchallenged re-coronation. We will receive apologies, in writing and full page ads in the quality press, from the rest of the 'Premier League' clubs to Aston Villa for daring to think that they deserved to share a pitch with us. UEFA will invite us to its G14 meetings, or whatever the fuck they're called, and we will respond by disbanding UEFA.

This will be followed in short order by Nassef Siwiris writing a letter to the boards of the 'top six', inviting them to enter the sea, pockets-first. We will then write to twelve clubs in the Midlands and North-West of England, inviting them to provide us with a justification for allowing them to play against us in a revised league format.

I have this overwhelming urge to shout 'what is dead may never die' or some such nerd shit. Which is to say I'm feeling quite revved up about this coming season, in spite of all my more sensible instincts. Come on Villa, let's fucking funeral these top flight mugs.

We will fuck them all.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2019, 11:38:47 PM »

I have internal monologues just like this after a lickle smoke.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2019, 11:47:29 PM »
Wolves had really good players coming up. As good as Jack and McGinn look, Ruben Neves was captaining a club in the champions league at 19 years old.

Obviously dubious to how they got these guys in but it's worked. What I liked from their summer deals is they just added to what worked well. Joao Moutinho was a brilliant pick up for them, experienced and seen it all presence for them in midfield. We probably need that sort to keep the above mentioned two calm in premier league.

After a slow start Raul Jimenez was looking a very good striker in the final few months of the season.

They were also ruthless with some departures. I was amazed they let Douglas go to Leeds as he was a regular in their promotion winning team but haven't missed him with getting Johnny in from Atletico Madrid.

Sometimes there's no secret. Add a top striker and other good players to a decent side and you're certainly not getting relegated.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2019, 12:15:35 AM »
The PL isn’t the one we left behind. There’s only 2 really top teams and Spurs not a long way off but not elite. After that Man U are a mess, Arsenal are decent. Chelsea will lose players and cannot buy. After that there is a 4 or 5 solid sides but nothing special and every other team is bang average. There is nothing to be intimated about. We can even give Man City and Liverpool a game. Fuck we beat those teams when we were utterly shit. So getting into a decent position with the right players coming in is within our reach.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2019, 12:31:47 AM »
ftp://
Wolves had really good players coming up. As good as Jack and McGinn look, Ruben Neves was captaining a club in the champions league at 19 years old.

Obviously dubious to how they got these guys in but it's worked. What I liked from their summer deals is they just added to what worked well. Joao Moutinho was a brilliant pick up for them, experienced and seen it all presence for them in midfield. We probably need that sort to keep the above mentioned two calm in premier league.

After a slow start Raul Jimenez was looking a very good striker in the final few months of the season.

They were also ruthless with some departures. I was amazed they let Douglas go to Leeds as he was a regular in their promotion winning team but haven't missed him with getting Johnny in from Atletico Madrid.

Sometimes there's no secret. Add a top striker and other good players to a decent side and you're certainly not getting relegated.

Yep, they had a spine of five or six quality players when they were in the Championship, but the rest were still quite average players at that level and I thought we exposed some of them in that 4-1 win at Villa Park.

What they did well when they went up was immediately replace the average players with players of the quality of the other five or six they already had there.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2019, 12:36:30 AM »
The PL isn’t the one we left behind. There’s only 2 really top teams and Spurs not a long way off but not elite. After that Man U are a mess, Arsenal are decent. Chelsea will lose players and cannot buy. After that there is a 4 or 5 solid sides but nothing special and every other team is bang average. There is nothing to be intimated about. We can even give Man City and Liverpool a game. Fuck we beat those teams when we were utterly shit. So getting into a decent position with the right players coming in is within our reach.

Not so sure about that TV to be honest.  When we left the to flight, it was the top four you had to crack.  Now you have six teams who are on a different level to others in terms of finances, stadium size (Chelsea excepted for the time being)  etc. 

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2019, 12:38:30 AM »
When we left it Liverpool finished 8th and Chelsea 10th.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2019, 08:34:38 AM »
Way too early to say but I would hope 8th - 12th for our first season back, but as we Leicester and Fulham know, anything could happen

Offline Londonfranky

• GM : 27.12.2021
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2019, 08:54:16 AM »
Congrats from this Fulham supporter, this is where John Terry starts earning his corn, as one of best premier league defenders, I reckon Gary Cahill is talking to him right now, our season was bollocked by the inability to keep a clean sheet, I think you can probably write 12 games against the top six any points you get from those games are a plus, that leaves you 26 games to get the points to make you safe, I think the premiership has changed even in time you’ve been away, even bang average premiership teams have 2 or 3 outstanding players, if you can be quite sound defensively a few scrappy 1-0 wins against teams around you should be ok, any enjoy!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal