collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread  (Read 80373 times)

Online FatSam

Re: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2019, 12:26:23 AM »
Thanks to you both for the info - I'll look into these options!

Offline Villatillidie1982

« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2019, 12:38:39 AM »
could we try a diamond ?               

steer

elmo  axel  mings  hause

hourihane /Whelan

grealish                       Mcginn

elghazi

Abrahams              kodja / davis
Four of those are loan players. Will they care enough?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #212 on: May 21, 2019, 01:08:18 AM »
Can't handle the thought of another Final defeat this year. We simply have to win. I don't subscribe to the thought that staying in the Championship could be better for us. Look what a mess the Leeds fans have been reduced to after so many years battling to get back up. Animosity aside, wouldn't want to be in their position after 15 years of lower league football with all the ups and downs associated.

We must go up.

Absolutely, failure to go up last season almost bankrupted the club (Xia/Wyness style of governance obviously key too). Even with the new owners it will get harder each season to go up with the financial constraints.

Plus, we have the likes of Grealish and McGinn who would thrive at a number of top clubs. Mings, Abraham, El Ghazi, three young players with significant potential could also join permanently. We seem more ready as a club to go up now and be competitive again. We would have been relegated straight back down again if we beat Fulham last May.

However, we simply must perform from the first whistle this year. Last year, we froze for the first 45 mins and Fulham should have been out of sight. One incident alone typified that, Fredericks stamping on Grealish without a single player of ours jumping in. We just weren't tuned in at all. I'd argue we froze in the second half v West Brom (second leg) too.... Pressure is all on us, there are simply no excuses for not performing.

However, we are the form team coming in and have hammered them twice already. Derby aren't set up to bully us, can cause problems no doubt if we let them but footballing wise I have no fear of them out playing us. Abrahams form is the big worry but I'm confident in Grealish rising to the occasion like to be fair he did in the second half last year.

2-1 to us with Hourihane and Grealish scoring.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2019, 02:26:49 AM »
could we try a diamond ?               

steer

elmo  axel  mings  hause

hourihane /Whelan

elghazi

What an truly odd thing to ask? Without having the actual stat in front of me but for most of the season I would bet we have had 3 or 4 loan players in the side and certainly the 18 on match day. All of which have performed for the most part really well. The only one who didn’t really live up the billing was Bolasie and he’s no longer here. Yet on the eve of the final you’re asking will they care enough? I’m really baffled by why you think all of a sudden having done so up to this point, in the final they might not.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #214 on: May 21, 2019, 02:42:32 AM »
I don't think this will be a close game. Derby have some very good young players and a manager that has shown he will try a new approach with short notice.

He must know that if they sit back we will find a way through; they do not have the discipline and organization of WBA. They will press and attack in waves, targeting any weak areas of our defense.

We have the players to get the job done and a manager who will have a good game plan, but we have to keep composure.

3-2, or 4-3 is my prediction.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #215 on: May 21, 2019, 02:43:14 AM »
I don't think this will be a close game. Derby have some very good young players and a manager that has shown he will try a new approach with short notice.

He must know that if they sit back we will find a way through; they do not have the discipline and organization of WBA. They will press and attack in waves, targeting any weak areas of our defense.

We have the players to get the job done and a manager who will have a good game plan, but we have to keep composure.

3-1, or 4-2 is my prediction.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #216 on: May 21, 2019, 07:43:25 AM »
In a similar way to last year I'm rather relaxed, however the full picture wasn't that clear with regards to the utter disaster awaiting us if we were to be beaten.

This time around, my disdain for the PL remains undiminished so another season in the Championship doesn't scare me. It will be entertaining, competitive and we have a manager who I believe can build a decent side despite the inevitable departures that defeat on Monday will incur. While the finances will take a hit, there won't be that dreadful dull pain that hit me when the news came through last summer of unpaid tax bills.

Having said that I see a job that needs to be completed, I want Villa to prosper and succeed, I want Villa to play their football at the top despite all it's misgivings. At the end of the home match against Sandwell, I watched Grealish and Hourihane walking towards the packed Holte End, arms around each others shoulders, taking the deserved acclaim. From my vantage point at the back of the North Stand I felt that we were, once more, experiencing something special at Villa Park and that the story had a couple more chapters. I wasn't so sure midway through the second leg, but we prevailed and I think we will again at Wembley.

2-1.

Online FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #217 on: May 21, 2019, 08:10:46 AM »
Beeb weather forecast has changed to light rain at  Wembley from 3pm onwards next Monday . It will probably change again before then though.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #218 on: May 21, 2019, 08:40:23 AM »
Beeb weather forecast has changed to light rain at  Wembley from 3pm onwards next Monday . It will probably change again before then though.

Currently 17-18% chance of rain: “Low chance of precipitation”; Temperatur feels like 19

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #219 on: May 21, 2019, 10:39:53 AM »
Jack will need to deliver a Liverpool semifinal performance, if he does we should be ok

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #220 on: May 21, 2019, 11:32:49 AM »

Currently 17-18% chance of rain: “Low chance of precipitation”; Temperatur feels like 19

Take it from one who knows where football match weather is concerned: The forecast usually changes on a daily basis until 48 hours before, and even then it's only about 50% accurate.   

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #221 on: May 21, 2019, 11:50:57 AM »
could we try a diamond ?               

steer

elmo  axel  mings  hause

hourihane /Whelan

elghazi

What an truly odd thing to ask? Without having the actual stat in front of me but for most of the season I would bet we have had 3 or 4 loan players in the side and certainly the 18 on match day. All of which have performed for the most part really well. The only one who didn’t really live up the billing was Bolasie and he’s no longer here. Yet on the eve of the final you’re asking will they care enough? I’m really baffled by why you think all of a sudden having done so up to this point, in the final they might not.

Does anyone seem to care more than Mings ???

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #222 on: May 21, 2019, 11:58:52 AM »
Charlie Adam thinks we'll win.

I'm officially worried now.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #223 on: May 21, 2019, 12:10:53 PM »
Most of the pundits thought we'd win last year. The bookies favoured Fulham. We're favourites this year.

Offline Cleybrooke

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #224 on: May 21, 2019, 12:45:35 PM »
Our record at Wembley (Old and New) looks like this..

Played 17, Won 6, Drawn 2, Lost 9

1.   1924 FA Cup Final – Lost (Newcastle)
2.   1957 FA Cup Final – Won (Man United)
3.   1971 League Cup Final – Lost (Tottenham)
4.   1975 League Cup Final – Won (Norwich)
5.   1977 League Cup Final – Draw (Everton – won at Old Trafford)
6.   1981 FA Charity Shield – Draw (Tottenham)
7.     1990 Wembley International Tournament - Lost (Arsenal)
8.     1990 Wembley International Tournament - Lost (Real Sociedad)
9.   1994 League Cup Final – Won (Man United)
10.   1996 League Cup Final – Won (Leeds United)
11.   2000 FA Cup Semi Final - Won (Bolton)
12.   2000 FA Cup Final – Lost (Chelsea)
13.   2010 League Cup Final – Lost (Man United)
14.   2010 FA Cup Semi Final - Lost (Chelsea)
15.   2015 FA Cup Semi Final – Won (Liverpool)
16.   2015 FA Final – Lost (Arsenal)
17.   2018 EFL Championship Play Off – Lost (Fulham)
18.   2019 EFL Championship Play Off…..

Unlucky 13 15 17th last year so it should be an easy win on Monday.... ::)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 04:30:59 PM by Cleybrooke »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal