collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread  (Read 80358 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2019, 02:10:08 PM »
We had 45 attempts against the bus parkers, a dozen on target. From what some folks are saying, I'm starting to think I'm not watching the correct Aston Villa! Sure, we could've been a bit sharper, but I wouldn't be abandoning our newfound principles because of it.

I'm looking at it as though we're a spider bigger than an inch, and I'm Derby; no matter what anybody might say or try to convince me of to the contrary, I'm more scared of the spider than it is of me!

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2019, 02:12:17 PM »
Talk around of doing something similar to when we beat Rotherham.
As Albert and green been poor, play whelk sitting in front of back 4

To be honest, I think he might be a bit too shellfish to play that role.
He would add more mussel in midfield but it might cockle things up

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2019, 02:21:28 PM »
 could we try a diamond ?               

steer

elmo  axel  mings  hause

hourihane /Whelan

grealish                       Mcginn

elghazi

Abrahams              kodja / davis

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2019, 03:48:13 PM »
I've tried to erase all memories of last year, the highlight was shaking Ian Taylor's hand on my way to the stadium, the rest of the day I'd rather forget. Seeing Bruce mince up and down his technical area all afternoon in his shirtsleeves makes me ill just thinking about it.
This time will be different, this time we have something about us that was lacking last time out and I fully expect we'll go at the opposition from minute one with a plan rather than sit back soak it up and hope to nick one.
It'll be an open game I'm sure & I'm looking forward to it immensely this time, hoping also it'll be the first victory at Wembley I've seen since 2000 FA Cup Semi having missed the FA Cup Semi victory v 'The Mighty Reds YNWA'.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »
With everything that hapoened last close season the build up to the game vs fulham was not smooth if I remember correctly. Didn't the Villa players have to buy their own suits or something like that? Hopefully this season we are more settled going into the final and with a forward thinking coach in Smith, we'll give a better account of ourselves and hopefully win! UTV

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2019, 04:08:24 PM »
The more I think about it, this is a massive game for us really as we are at a pretty significant crossroads.  Win and I think we will be taking some real momentum with us into the Premier League.  Lose and we are looking at a massive rebuilding job and I don't think we would be in contention for promotion for a while. 

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2019, 06:10:25 PM »
Talk around of doing something similar to when we beat Rotherham.
As Albert and green been poor, play whelk sitting in front of back 4, Connor to left and mcginn to right with jack spearheading diamond formation. Then Tammy with Kodja up front, without the ball kodj could join others in midfield but out wide.
I’m not to adverse to springing a surprise like that
If we go with that approach, I'd play Davis up front with Tammy playing off; bringing Kodjia on as a sub later on.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:12:05 PM by Mister E »

Offline kieron

« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2019, 06:12:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/EFL/status/1129431384299147264

Match officials for the Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Final between Aston Villa and Derby County have been confirmed.

Monday 27 May - kick-off 3.00pm

Referee: Paul Tierney

Assistants: Ian Hussin and Adrian Holmes

Fourth official: Chris Kavanagh

Reserve assistant referee: Dan Robathan

Further details about this year's Final will be released in due course.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2019, 06:17:28 PM »
You fucking cheating bastards!

(Just practising)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2019, 06:25:14 PM »
So the 4th official is the dickhead that reffed Tuesday night.

It will give Dean and John the chance to spend 90 minutes telling him what they thought of that performance, at least.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2019, 09:03:15 PM »
As it stands, 2-2 then penalties...

Offline Villa75

« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2019, 09:19:29 PM »
With everything that hapoened last close season the build up to the game vs fulham was not smooth if I remember correctly. Didn't the Villa players have to buy their own suits or something like that? Hopefully this season we are more settled going into the final and with a forward thinking coach in Smith, we'll give a better account of ourselves and hopefully win! UTV

First I've heard on any of this. Have you got any links?

Offline guyavfc

« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2019, 11:24:01 PM »
Think I heard something similar. Feeling very positive, completely different buzz to last year.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2019, 11:41:36 PM »
The 4th official at Wembley can not be any worse than Kevin Friend who was the 4th official against Fulham .How he failed to see their full back stamp on Jack right in front of him only god knows

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2019, 11:43:04 PM »
Eh?

We were comfortably better than the Albion in both. We didn't freeze at all.

We played a side who flipped their ordinary tactics on their head and stuck 11 men behind the ball for 210 minutes.

We struggled to break down a side sat so deep, who fouled persistently, who showed no ambition to attack and gave no room between defence and midfield.

It was hard to find space and fluidity, as there was none available.

Derby looked impressive against a team hell bent on blowing it. Insane defending, shape and loose play. Derby looked worse than anybody else previously on Saturday mustering 0 shots at goal. Imagine being worse than the Albion side we played in attacking.

Nah comfortably better would be beating them 4-1 on aggregate. 2-0 on Tuesday rather than scraping though on pens.

Maybe I expect too much but we played far better there in December. Could've easily scored 4 and that was against Barry, Harvey Barnes and Gayle so much stronger 11.

We should beat Derby but the one little wildcard is we didn't play against Mount in either game so midfield has no experience at dealing with him unlike their other forward players.

Kid is pretty good. Had excellent season in Holland, his return from two month injury has inspired them like Jack coming back has us and he got an England call up in November.

I'd still start Hourihane and Kodjia. As much as we dream about winning this 4-0, play off finals are usually very tight, can't really remember one in recent times when the winner has won by more than one goal.

It will still be in the balance on the hour so if we're 1-0 up it will make sense then to bring on likes of Adomah and Whelan to close things out.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal