collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread  (Read 80309 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2019, 09:38:19 PM »
Good post Ads. You’ve completely convinced me and I will now blame you if I have my hopes dashed.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2019, 09:44:52 PM »
I watched the DCFC highlights, and then thought I'd watch the LUFC ones too for additional insight. Didn't bother when I saw they were only just over a minute long!

For me, if Whelan starts, we win.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2019, 10:00:07 PM »
I watched the DCFC highlights, and then thought I'd watch the LUFC ones too for additional insight. Didn't bother when I saw they were only just over a minute long!

Whelan to start for me too. Keep a steady ship (WBA notwithstanding) first half and then Conor when they're tiring in the second half. I know that last night isn't necessarily representative but it was striking how easily both attacks were slicing through both defences. 

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2019, 10:08:08 PM »
Ashley Cole starting is also a huge plus for us, so we need a completely different set up on our right side to take advantage.

He was absolutely mince at VP in that first half and we destroyed them time and time again down the right with AA and Elmo...

I was going to ask about the significance of the full back Malone being suspended having picked up a late sending off, is that who Cole comes in for? If he’s that bad that was a really significant moment for us.

The pundits on sky, Darren Bent et al were bigging it up as a positive 're Cole's experience, all the times he has played at Wembley etc. If we do our stuff we should be humiliating him in the final. Malone is a competent performer at this level in comparison.

Abraham destroyed the other Chelsea kid, Tomori, earlier in the season too.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2019, 10:33:03 PM »
The main thing we need to get right is our mentality. I really don't think it was right in either game against west brom

Tactically, its unclear what we'll come up against. Derby won yday by going 442 diamond, w a plethora of attacking midfielders. Hourihane would really struggle to stem the sort of movement they were showing. But it would be a brave lampard to pick such an attacking line up.

I don't think they could copy West brom. Though i didn't think West brom could play like that. And Derby would fancy their chances on the break with the likes of Mason, Lawrence, Wilson etc

I began to wonder if Smith might mix it up. Maybe play two up top like the second half at Rotherham, with Jack and mcginn tucked in wide in a 'box midfield'. It would give us more solidity against those central runs and mean Tammy was less isolated

But I suspect it will be the normal 433. I'm a bit worried thay Smith thinks we played better than we did.

In which case, although there's a case for whelan, there's also a case for getting as much energy on the pitch and that means hourihane

There's a case for green's greater pace against Cole, but he completely froze on Tuesday. If we don't think Cole can get up and down, maybe Kodjia wide right. But I think el ghazi would have the most joy as long as he's not too weak from fasting. Plus as someone said above, elmo overlapping could be a real weapon.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2019, 11:34:45 PM »

Whelan to start for me too. Keep a steady ship (WBA notwithstanding) first half and then Conor when they're tiring in the second half. I know that last night isn't necessarily representative but it was striking how easily both attacks were slicing through both defences.

Agree completely SE, with AA starting and Conor/Green/Kodjia ideally used as impact players on 65/70 min mark

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2019, 11:21:58 AM »
The main thing we need to get right is our mentality. I really don't think it was right in either game against west brom

Tactically, its unclear what we'll come up against. Derby won yday by going 442 diamond, w a plethora of attacking midfielders. Hourihane would really struggle to stem the sort of movement they were showing. But it would be a brave lampard to pick such an attacking line up.

I don't think they could copy West brom. Though i didn't think West brom could play like that. And Derby would fancy their chances on the break with the likes of Mason, Lawrence, Wilson etc

I began to wonder if Smith might mix it up. Maybe play two up top like the second half at Rotherham, with Jack and mcginn tucked in wide in a 'box midfield'. It would give us more solidity against those central runs and mean Tammy was less isolated

But I suspect it will be the normal 433. I'm a bit worried thay Smith thinks we played better than we did.

In which case, although there's a case for whelan, there's also a case for getting as much energy on the pitch and that means hourihane

There's a case for green's greater pace against Cole, but he completely froze on Tuesday. If we don't think Cole can get up and down, maybe Kodjia wide right. But I think el ghazi would have the most joy as long as he's not too weak from fasting. Plus as someone said above, elmo overlapping could be a real weapon.

Completely agree. I don’t think many will dispute we have the edge in terms player and coaching personnel however my big fear is we will freeze - we did not really show up in either of the SF and could easily have lost. Last year was appalling. Dean has to get this right and make sure they are 100% up for it mentally and physically. Derby certainly looked the most impressive of the 4 teams in the SF and to go to Leeds and turn them over was a hell of an achievement (first team to lose the home leg but triumph in the 2nd). I think it’s going to come down to who is right on the day - we need to go out without fear and really take the game by the scruff of the neck to proceed home.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2019, 11:37:29 AM »
Eh?

We were comfortably better than the Albion in both. We didn't freeze at all.

We played a side who flipped their ordinary tactics on their head and stuck 11 men behind the ball for 210 minutes.

We struggled to break down a side sat so deep, who fouled persistently, who showed no ambition to attack and gave no room between defence and midfield.

It was hard to find space and fluidity, as there was none available.

Derby looked impressive against a team hell bent on blowing it. Insane defending, shape and loose play. Derby looked worse than anybody else previously on Saturday mustering 0 shots at goal. Imagine being worse than the Albion side we played in attacking.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:39:20 AM by Ads »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2019, 12:19:45 PM »
Why is we will freeze and they won’t? We were at Wembley last year. We have more experienced players and coaches. We have better players and coaches. I think what they did was brilliant vs Leeds and their run to their playoffs but what we did for 3 months was just sensational. We have the best player in the league, the most energetic and tenacious player in the league, arguably the best forward and best CB in the league. Even our GK in the past few months has been outstanding. We can’t be complacent and we have a manager with a mountain of experience to help us through that.

And we also have the massive disappointment of last season to draw upon for motivation.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2019, 12:24:21 PM »
It really could go either way.  We've got the better team on paper, but then a few players of late seem out of sorts.  If I was a betting man, I'd guess we'd be 60/40 favourites.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2019, 12:41:07 PM »
Eh?

We were comfortably better than the Albion in both. We didn't freeze at all.

Exactly.

If 69% possession in the first leg and 73% possession in the second leg is 'freezing', then I'm happy for us to 'freeze' again.

The Olbiyun played for penalties from minute 1 of the first leg.  I don't think anyone could've predicted just how much they parked the bus so it's hardly surprising Dean's tactics didn't quite work in that first half.

I can't see Derby trying that - it would be embarrassing if they did - and with a more open game we've got the better players to punish them with.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2019, 01:03:25 PM »
Talk around of doing something similar to when we beat Rotherham.
As Albert and green been poor, play whelk sitting in front of back 4, Connor to left and mcginn to right with jack spearheading diamond formation. Then Tammy with Kodja up front, without the ball kodj could join others in midfield but out wide.
I’m not to adverse to springing a surprise like that

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2019, 01:17:49 PM »
Two sides to this dilemma.

With claret & blue specs on - we are the best team in this division and do not need to change our formation/game plan - turn up & play to our strengths and we win the game.

With claret & blue specs off - surprise Derby, (as they will be thinking the same as above) - play a different formation as a one off/cup tie that must be won where surprise could be the winning formula.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2019, 01:36:23 PM »
Surprises work. Think BFR in 94 finak vs manure with the intro of graham fenton.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »
Talk around of doing something similar to when we beat Rotherham.
As Albert and green been poor, play whelk sitting in front of back 4

To be honest, I think he might be a bit too shellfish to play that role.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal