collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909785 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #5880 on: August 09, 2019, 08:36:11 PM »
Hearing how devastatingly Norwich are being exposed with the window closed, I can't help but feel that this early deadline might be a stitch-up like FFP.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #5881 on: August 09, 2019, 08:58:16 PM »
Doesn't help other teams either though. What if Real came in for Eriksson before the window closes and he starts to agitate for a move for example?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5882 on: August 09, 2019, 09:01:58 PM »
Hearing how devastatingly Norwich are being exposed with the window closed, I can't help but feel that this early deadline might be a stitch-up like FFP.

I'm not sure about that, I think Liverpool could well be more upset about it than anyone else. If that Allison injury is as bad as it looked they're in a bit of trouble agianst better teams than Norwich (which appears to be almost anyone else they'll play).

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #5883 on: August 09, 2019, 09:14:56 PM »

I'm not sure about that, I think Liverpool could well be more upset about it than anyone else. If that Allison injury is as bad as it looked they're in a bit of trouble agianst better teams than Norwich (which appears to be almost anyone else they'll play).

True, but a promoted team really has no idea how well its squad copes with the step up until they play an actual game. It's now too late to improve if they're found wanting. It could easily happen to us (but won't because we're winning the league!)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5884 on: August 09, 2019, 09:32:50 PM »

True, but a promoted team really has no idea how well its squad copes with the step up until they play an actual game. It's now too late to improve if they're found wanting. It could easily happen to us (but won't because we're winning the league!)

I don't disagree at all, I really don't like the change (and setting it to 5pm is particularly shit), just pointing out that Liverpool won't be happy about the change either right now.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #5885 on: August 09, 2019, 09:46:41 PM »
Liverpool may have been one of the teams that voted in favour of it.

Coaching teams should know whether their squads are good enough and they know the timeframe to do it. Nobody had less time than us to prepare but through a very competent effort, Smith's happy with his squad and feels he's got who he wants. We've shown everybody else that it can be done.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5886 on: August 09, 2019, 09:54:50 PM »
They should just get rid of the transfer window altogether. Just gives an advantage to the clubs with massive squads. It also keeps an otherwise dead season alive trying to convince yourself you can sign someone who is gonna turn everything around.

We used to sign players in September, November, even February, and noone died.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #5887 on: August 09, 2019, 10:17:16 PM »
They should just get rid of the transfer window altogether. Just gives an advantage to the clubs with massive squads. It also keeps an otherwise dead season alive trying to convince yourself you can sign someone who is gonna turn everything around.

We used to sign players in September, November, even February, and noone died.

My dad did. Albeit in April, and the blame would technically be weighted towards his bowel cancer rather than the transfer window, according to the 'experts'. It may have been before the transfer window came in but everything happens for a reason (it doesn't).

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #5888 on: August 11, 2019, 08:22:26 PM »

Norwich had the 8th best defence in the Championship last season, and spent only around £3.5m improving it to play a season in the top division.  That was a decision they made and now they will have to live with it, but it I'd be surprised if anyone expected that to be enough.

Offline danno

« Reply #5889 on: August 11, 2019, 08:59:21 PM »
Didn't Norwich nearly go pop before Delia and her husband stepped in? Even with the riches of the premier league on offer I'm wary of criticizing teams that don't splash the cash. e.g, Sunderland may be solvent but its only Ellis Short writing off £70 million worth of debt that stopped them going the way of Bolton and Bury.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #5890 on: August 11, 2019, 09:02:17 PM »
I'm not criticising Norwich, I think they are being sensible and if they do go down then they will be in a much better position with the revenue from this season to support them and keep the team together and come back up and be able to invest more.  More clubs should do that.

I was responding to the point about it being a problem of the transfer window closing and leaving them unable to reinforce, which wasn't the issue because the board made it clear they weren't going to spend well before the window shut and they did so knowing their situation.

Offline danno

« Reply #5891 on: August 11, 2019, 09:08:12 PM »
I'm not criticising Norwich, I think they are being sensible and if they do go down then they will be in a much better position with the revenue from this season to support them and keep the team together and come back up and be able to invest more.  More clubs should do that.

I was responding to the point about it being a problem of the transfer window closing and leaving them unable to reinforce, which wasn't the issue because the board made it clear they weren't going to spend well before the window shut and they did so knowing their situation.

Ah I see gotcha. Your right i mean they had more time than anyone to prepare, they pretty much knew they were promoted by April.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #5892 on: August 11, 2019, 09:27:36 PM »
Norwich played enough good football the other night against the second best team in the league to suggest to me they might not go down

I don’t think they will

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #5893 on: August 11, 2019, 10:20:05 PM »
Norwich played enough good football the other night against the second best team in the league to suggest to me they might not go down

Leagues are littered though with rubbish teams who had a competent looking first few games and then fell apart.

I reckon after an away win at Bournemouth and a pretty even, hard-fought 1-0 defeat to ManYoo, not many neutrals would have predicted we'd shit the bed as badly as we did under Sherwood and his various successors.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #5894 on: August 11, 2019, 11:21:57 PM »
It's hard to gauge. The game was over inside half an hour and if Liverpool had fancied it, it could have been 7 at half time

That saw Liverpool stroll about for 45 minutes and gave Norwich a bit of freedom.

Either way, there was certainly no evidence Norwich can cope defensively.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal