collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by paul_e
[Today at 11:53:33 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909723 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #2070 on: June 20, 2019, 01:34:06 PM »
I think Steer gets a new contract purely on merit and if we buy a new keeper he’ll compete for that spot. We know he won’t let us down. It will just mean one of Kalinic or Nyland will be gone; the former being the more likely. Anyway good for Jed Steer. He deserves it.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #2071 on: June 20, 2019, 01:41:39 PM »
I don't rate Johnstone (never have) or Butland.
I'd be trying for either Heaton or Pope (not the Pope, but the goalkeeper Pope)

John Paul II played in goal

I had him down as a right winger
He lacks mobility these days, so not for me, clive.

Offline Eckybloke

• GM : 06.06.2019
« Reply #2072 on: June 20, 2019, 02:00:51 PM »

He lacks mobility these days, so not for me, clive.

We'd need to be down to the bare bones for him to get a game.  A no for me.

Online FatSam

« Reply #2073 on: June 20, 2019, 02:26:58 PM »

Benedict XVI was a right winger in his youth.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #2074 on: June 20, 2019, 02:42:21 PM »

Benedict XVI was a right winger in his youth.

Is he more moderate now?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2075 on: June 20, 2019, 03:35:14 PM »
It's amazing how many people have come to the conclusion Butland isn't good enough.

I'm no expert on goalkeeprs, but what I do know is that he's 26, has been capped by England U16, U17, U19, U20, U21, Great Britain and has 9 full caps.

I'll bow down to people who genuinely know more about keeping than me, but that's a lot of coaches who have clearly rated him over a number of years and at an age where we could feasibly get 8 years service for our investment.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #2076 on: June 20, 2019, 03:45:42 PM »
I agree Chris, he may have had a little slump after a great start as a kid but he seems a great fit for us. FWIW, I thought Johnstone was a great keeper too, we wouldn't have finished so high if he wasn't in goal for us.

Online jwarry

« Reply #2077 on: June 20, 2019, 04:02:43 PM »
Just had a nose at YouTube clips and quite like the look of Marvelous, very athletic and doesn’t hold back, looks just what we need. And Big Wes would have a mate

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #2078 on: June 20, 2019, 05:19:11 PM »
It's not a massive priority for me, but if there's an offer in for Kalinic, I think it'd be a clever bit of business to swap him for Butland. At 26, he's got maybe 10 good seasons in him, plus a couple as a backup so £20m isn't that terrible. Better than any 30+ year old whose not playing regularly at any rate.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2079 on: June 20, 2019, 05:46:58 PM »
It's not a massive priority for me, but if there's an offer in for Kalinic, I think it'd be a clever bit of business to swap him for Butland. At 26, he's got maybe 10 good seasons in him, plus a couple as a backup so £20m isn't that terrible. Better than any 30+ year old whose not playing regularly at any rate.

I can't find it but I'm sure I posted a few days back that if we can get our money back on Kalinic then we'd effectively be signing an England international who's just coming into his peak for £13m. I'm not a massive fan of Butland but I don't watch a huge amount of English football when we're not playing so I'd trust the huge number of coaches, scouts and managers who think he's one of the best keepers in the country.

I agree Chris, he may have had a little slump after a great start as a kid but he seems a great fit for us. FWIW, I thought Johnstone was a great keeper too, we wouldn't have finished so high if he wasn't in goal for us.

Johnstone was, and is, an average championship goalkeeper, he's a good shot stopper but his distribution is shit and he doesn't command his box. If he ever gets a decent run at a premier league club it'll be at someone like the baggies, norwich or cardiff where survival is the only target, because he doesn't offer enough to play higher, it's why i was never concerned when we didn't get him permanently.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2080 on: June 20, 2019, 05:53:29 PM »
For our first season back, playing catch up, a shot stopper sounds ideal. I'd love to dream that we'll continue playing on the front foot next season but realistically believe we'll have to walk before we can run.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #2081 on: June 20, 2019, 05:53:46 PM »
It's amazing how many people have come to the conclusion Butland isn't good enough.

I'm no expert on goalkeeprs, but what I do know is that he's 26, has been capped by England U16, U17, U19, U20, U21, Great Britain and has 9 full caps.

I'll bow down to people who genuinely know more about keeping than me, but that's a lot of coaches who have clearly rated him over a number of years and at an age where we could feasibly get 8 years service for our investment.

And yet have come to the conclusion that Heaton at 33 with 23 appearances in 2 years is. Or Pope who has been 3rd choice behind Heaton and Joe Hart's comedy show.

I'm not sure that it's even Butland himself that people have the problem with, I think it's the idea of paying £20m for a goalkeeper. But that's today's market. Pickford cost £25m and that's set the prices.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2082 on: June 20, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »
For our first season back, playing catch up, a shot stopper sounds ideal. I'd love to dream that we'll continue playing on the front foot next season but realistically believe we'll have to walk before we can run.

You don't walk before you can run by signing players that don't fit the way you want to play, that's just a way to ensure you only ever walk if you already have those players then fine, use them whilst you have to but going out and buying new players that don't fit the team you want to build is just stupid.  Aside from that, a goalkeeper who can kick, throw and spot chances to counter-attack will always be good, regardless of how you play and Johnstone isn't so good a shotstopper as to be worth buying despite his many flaws. If he was remotely as good as some people have said on here he wouldn't be going into a 3rd season in the championship with no interest from above.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #2083 on: June 20, 2019, 06:24:04 PM »
Things seem to have gone quiet. Really need to get the baulk of new signings in before pre season training starts. Defence is a worry with so few numbers.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2084 on: June 20, 2019, 06:28:55 PM »
Apparently, we  have opened talks to sign the geezer from Huddersfield. Maybe just a stalking horse to get Mings over the line?.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal