collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909914 times)

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #840 on: June 02, 2019, 06:20:05 PM »
And no more yellow away kits. Nothing screamed cowards more than that Villa team embarrassing the club in those colours.
Mine makes a good cycling top.

Offline mike

« Reply #841 on: June 02, 2019, 06:42:20 PM »
Quite agree. What could an all round great guy who just played for the winning team in the Champion's League possibly offer us? The vast majority of new players should be younger, cheaper, part of the future not the past etc, but if anyone thinks that James Milner would be anything other than a massive asset to us next season, they need to reconnect with reality. Think John Terry last season. And he was a fuckwitt with no Villa history.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #842 on: June 02, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »
When we arrived back in Liverpool there was a huge crowd to greet us. I said to Mo, Were you expecting this welcome home? He said Yes James, I was. I said Ok.

Online Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #843 on: June 02, 2019, 07:40:58 PM »
I haven't seen anyone suggest that Milner wouldn't be a fantastic signing, but I (and others) think there is no chance of it happening given the prospect of him playing a significant part for Red Scouse next season.

I would not go for Cahill given his likely wages (as little or no transfer fee) and we cannot really make an assessment on his sharpness, pace and fitness. He has made only two PL appearances this season and one of them was a two minutes subs appearance as a 'goodbye' at Stamford Bridge at the end of the season.

Benteke is in the last year of his contract (as per a Palace fan in the pub the other day) so they will not loan him out and he is too much of a risk to buy in my opinion. I'm also not sure he is a good fit for how Smith plays.

Also not interested in most other previous players linked, i.e. Delph, Young, Barry (!).

I would be delighted to see Gueye and/or Albrighton back - though neither have been linked and are highly unlikely to happen.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #844 on: June 02, 2019, 07:47:27 PM »
I would take Cahill.

We do need experienced heads who can actually still contribute which is why Jedinak and Whelan were released.

Wolves signed Moutinho last year who was 32 and he was one of best deep lying midfielders in the league.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #845 on: June 02, 2019, 07:59:07 PM »
I would take Cahill.

We do need experienced heads who can actually still contribute which is why Jedinak and Whelan were released.

Wolves signed Moutinho last year who was 32 and he was one of best deep lying midfielders in the league.

Moutinho had spent the previous season playing reguarly for a top international team and in European competition and was clearly still a top player.

Cahill, at this stage, is not one of the best centre halves in the league and has barely played for a season, not even managing to get a look-in at what is a fairly average Chelsea side.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #846 on: June 02, 2019, 08:31:35 PM »
Finishing third and winning the Europa is hardly average. Cahill is no longer a quality player and would be an expensive risk though.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #847 on: June 02, 2019, 08:56:35 PM »
Finishing third and winning the Europa is hardly average. Cahill is no longer a quality player and would be an expensive risk though.

It is by Chelsea's standards. 26 points off the title. Not playing in the Champions League. Manager about to leave to go back to Juventus. Centre back options of Rudiger, Christensen, Emerson and Luiz nowhere near the standard of most Chelsea sides of the last decade, which is why they conceded nearly double that of the other teams in the top four. Yet Cahill got nowhere near the team. It'd be a no from me, as much as I liked him when he was here.

Chester can provide the experienced input. Mings and Hause as left footed options, Tuanzebe or another up and comer as the other right footer.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #848 on: June 02, 2019, 10:15:39 PM »
We shouldn't have got rid of him and we shouldn't have him back.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #849 on: June 02, 2019, 10:56:47 PM »
We shouldn't have got rid of him and we shouldn't have him back.

In a nutshell.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #850 on: June 02, 2019, 11:19:50 PM »
I personally think that Cahill's a bit of a no-brainer. The squad at present has virtually no top-flight experience at all and taking a guy with the experience that Cahill has, could be massive, even as a squad player. Look at all the accolades that have been given to Whelan and Jedinak for theor roles within the squad this season.   And as for taking a pay-cut, he's currently unemployed, so he won't be taking a pay-cut. He woudl have realised that his next contract would be at a vastly reduced salary and we're now in a position to offer him as good a package as anyone. If Tuanzebe isn't coming back, Cahill + a young prospect (Esri Konza looks the best of those linked) would be fine, IMO.

Offline danno

« Reply #851 on: June 02, 2019, 11:23:07 PM »
As it stands our only centre back is Chester, who has an injury he needs to manage for the rest of his career.

Adding Gary Cahill who is now 33 and has hardly played all season to that equation does not seem sensible.

I'm not against us bringing him in totally, Mings Hause one other and then maybe a deal for Cahill would be Ok.

I just think after such a lack of playing time he's more of a gamble than we should be taking. Especially considering his wage demands and the possiblity he'd want guarantees about playing.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #852 on: June 03, 2019, 01:43:36 AM »
I personally think that Cahill's a bit of a no-brainer. The squad at present has virtually no top-flight experience at all and taking a guy with the experience that Cahill has, could be massive, even as a squad player. Look at all the accolades that have been given to Whelan and Jedinak for theor roles within the squad this season.   And as for taking a pay-cut, he's currently unemployed, so he won't be taking a pay-cut. He woudl have realised that his next contract would be at a vastly reduced salary and we're now in a position to offer him as good a package as anyone. If Tuanzebe isn't coming back, Cahill + a young prospect (Esri Konza looks the best of those linked) would be fine, IMO.

Would certainly be looking to sign Mings and Hause, so along with Chester, think we would probably need one more CB option.  Would like to see us get Tuanzebe back even it is only another loan deal as I think we will see a much more athletic side next season.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #853 on: June 03, 2019, 01:59:33 AM »
When we arrived back in Liverpool there was a huge crowd to greet us. I said to Mo, Were you expecting this welcome home? He said Yes James, I was. I said Ok.
“Mr Klopp said we can’t go home straight away as we have to get on a bus to go around the city for hours. I then remembered I had some carrots and potatoes stewing in my slow cooker when we left to go to Madrid. Hoping they are not over done by the time I get home tonight”

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #854 on: June 03, 2019, 02:54:05 AM »
Quote from: James Milner
You can tell we were celebrating last night. I woke up to discover I had used up all of the tea bags provided in the hotel room. Crazy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal