collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 910466 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #765 on: June 01, 2019, 06:34:52 PM »
When Purslow said it was time to pause and take stock before acting, I assumed things would go quiet for a while like they normally do this time of year. If deals start to happen this early, I can only assume he meant something else. It would be refreshing to get a chunk of our business done early though.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #766 on: June 01, 2019, 06:38:25 PM »
When Purslow said it was time to pause and take stock before acting, I assumed things would go quiet for a while like they normally do this time of year. If deals start to happen this early, I can only assume he meant something else. It would be refreshing to get a chunk of our business done early though.

Indeed, though it does confirm my feeling that the Jota deal was in both plans.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #767 on: June 01, 2019, 06:40:57 PM »
By take stock he would have meant the PL path and what that now entails. They can now consider their options and he alluded to the fact that the club will be inundated by agents offering players. But I think this portion of it was already in place. The players being let go were always going to be let go. There has been no sentiment show less than a week after the win. And Jota was clearly already lined up with the noses. They need the money, he wanted Jota.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #768 on: June 01, 2019, 06:40:57 PM »

Indeed, though it does confirm my feeling that the Jota deal was in both plans.

I can only come to that conclusion too. Could also speculate that since it's gone quiet about the Luton lad that he was in plan B but not plan A.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #769 on: June 01, 2019, 06:49:18 PM »
If a deal is to he done, take it. £4m to act as back up in the supporting attacking 3 is decent.

Key positions for quality are forward, creative player, defensive midfielder and centre halves. 5 players there and we still need a left back and other squad players, of which Jota is one.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #770 on: June 01, 2019, 06:57:14 PM »
Does Dean have much of a track record of signing overseas players or has he mainly bought UK-based players so far?  Obviously he's spent most of his career in the lower leagues so the opportunities may not have been as plentiful as they are now.  Just curious.

Since 2016 Brenford have signed:

Emmanuel Ledesma (DS had him at Walsall)
Florian Jozefzoon
Sergi Canos (2.5m)
Henrik Dalsgaard
Kamhelo Mokojto
Naul Maupay (1.8m)
Mads Sorensen
Said Benherama
Julian Jenevier

So quite a few although general Brentford model is to sign majority of players without head coach input and then he has to coach them into effective unit.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #771 on: June 01, 2019, 07:00:37 PM »
Does Dean have much of a track record of signing overseas players or has he mainly bought UK-based players so far?  Obviously he's spent most of his career in the lower leagues so the opportunities may not have been as plentiful as they are now.  Just curious.

Since 2016 Brenford have signed:

Emmanuel Ledesma (DS had him at Walsall)
Florian Jozefzoon
Sergi Canos (2.5m)
Henrik Dalsgaard
Kamhelo Mokojto
Naul Maupay (1.8m)
Mads Sorensen
Said Benherama
Julian Jenevier

So quite a few although general Brentford model is to sign majority of players without head coach input and then he has to coach them into effective unit.

Cheers.  I'll be honest, Maupay is the only one I've heard of.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #772 on: June 01, 2019, 07:02:16 PM »
Jozefzoon came on as sub for Derby on Monday.

Offline Hinckley Dave

« Reply #773 on: June 01, 2019, 07:04:08 PM »
I've never understood or like the idea of a club buying players without the head coach/manager's input. just seems wrong and I hope it's not a road we go down.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #774 on: June 01, 2019, 07:07:14 PM »
It's also not true. He had an input into who Brentford signed, as did others, after the recruitment team identified them.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #775 on: June 01, 2019, 07:08:44 PM »
I've never understood or like the idea of a club buying players without the head coach/manager's input. just seems wrong and I hope it's not a road we go down.

I imagine he had input in likes of Romaine Sawyers and Rico Henry who were with him at Walsall.

It's the way Brentford do things, they appoint head coaches and then use the moneyball system to sign young players in areas HC wants to improve using all sorts of data.

Guess it's a mix of what we did in summer 2015 and also allowing Sherwood his own picks of Lescott, Richards and Gestede.

I'll leave everyone to decide which idea was better.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #776 on: June 01, 2019, 07:11:35 PM »
*sigh* it's sabermetrics not moneyball.

Offline SoccerHQ

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #778 on: June 01, 2019, 07:22:50 PM »
For some reason the media seem to think they're the same thing, or that scouting young players to make a profit on is also moneyball. Using data to identify players is sabermetrics and has been around long before moneyball. Which was identifying undervalued players that could do a specific job (it was OBP for the A's) that you (well Billy Beane) valued really high but other teams didn't. Beane would have signed an 80 year old if he could get on base and was cheap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabermetrics

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #779 on: June 01, 2019, 07:35:47 PM »
I understand it as;

Sabremetrics- what Baseball is about and always has been. A huge tug over stats and data to identify the players you need.

Applied in football was perhaps Downing and Caroll signing for Liverpool with most crosses and most headers identified.

Moneyball is more a thematic strategy of buying what you want and selling what you dont need based on the sabremetric applied in analysis of your squad.

For Beane and the Oakland A's that was a focus on OBP that had been overlooked, so he was able to trade out more obvious stars who didn't conform to this.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal