collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 916250 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #720 on: June 01, 2019, 11:56:03 AM »
If Jota is essentially a swap with Gardner I can see the sense.

Offline Monty

« Reply #721 on: June 01, 2019, 11:56:45 AM »
Is there anything concrete info wise on Jota?

I wasn’t at all impressed with him in the Championship and it’s a massive step up.
I tend to agree with this.  Plus, he's 28 in a couple of weeks so it's not as if he's one for the future.

Based on his Blues performances sure, but as we saw dramatically with Gana, Veretout etc there can be a lot of reasons why a player doesn't look individually good in any given season - the club, the style, the teammates, the coach, any of it can make the difference. I'm not sure many on here would've given Hourihane much of a chance of making the Premier League grade, but after working with Deano he looks like he's got a chance. Jota also seems to have flourished on the right environment with Deano, so I'm willing to give him a chance.

Online FatSam

« Reply #722 on: June 01, 2019, 12:20:15 PM »
I can see the logic of signing Jota if it is a way to get Gardner off the books, whilst bringing in a more useful squad player. I can’t help thinking that he would have broken through at a higher level by the age of 28 if he was good enough. It’s a tricky balance, the need to raise the overall quality of the squad whilst not introducing too many unknown quantities (a la Fulham).

On the Gueye/ Veretout/ Amavi/ Traore point; two players who will probably play in the CL final tonight got relegated with Newcastle the same year we went down. They were both a bit further along in their careers, internationals who were sold for big money.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #723 on: June 01, 2019, 12:26:46 PM »
Jota under Smith. Yes.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #724 on: June 01, 2019, 12:34:15 PM »
I'd be fairly confident that no matter who he signs, Smith will get the best out of them. He's that kind of coach.

Anyway, his priority seems to be signing players with the right attitude, so no Billy big bollocks. Suits me.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #725 on: June 01, 2019, 12:58:03 PM »
Benteke can fuck off along with Delph, Bacuna, Amavi, Lescott et al ad nauseum

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #726 on: June 01, 2019, 01:03:00 PM »
I really dont think Cahill will come Dean is offloading the older guys and wants a younger vibrant team he is 33 now.His wages would be a problem too.

Pretty much this. I can't see any logic in signing a Cahill, at his age and with his wage.

We need to be finding the next Cahill, Benteke, Young, Milner (already found) etc

I wouldn’t mind taking Cahill for his PL experience alone. Plus he’s 33, which isn’t ancient in this day and age.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #727 on: June 01, 2019, 01:14:43 PM »
I really dont think Cahill will come Dean is offloading the older guys and wants a younger vibrant team he is 33 now.His wages would be a problem too.

Pretty much this. I can't see any logic in signing a Cahill, at his age and with his wage.

We need to be finding the next Cahill, Benteke, Young, Milner (already found) etc

I wouldn’t mind taking Cahill for his PL experience alone. Plus he’s 33, which isn’t ancient in this day and age.

Wasn't impressed with him last year, not going on loan and sitting on bench doing zilch at Chelsea. Legs are gone and I expect Smith needs a better ball player too. Avoid.

I wouldn't have been happy getting in Jota even if we were staying in the second tier. Che Adams would be far better if we have to deal with them.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #728 on: June 01, 2019, 01:25:46 PM »
Does Dean have much of a track record of signing overseas players or has he mainly bought UK-based players so far?  Obviously he's spent most of his career in the lower leagues so the opportunities may not have been as plentiful as they are now.  Just curious.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #729 on: June 01, 2019, 02:07:40 PM »

I don't think we'll be signing anybody who's on the way down.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #730 on: June 01, 2019, 02:16:59 PM »
Jota has signed according to the Mail.

Offline Monty

« Reply #731 on: June 01, 2019, 02:22:41 PM »
Does Dean have much of a track record of signing overseas players or has he mainly bought UK-based players so far?  Obviously he's spent most of his career in the lower leagues so the opportunities may not have been as plentiful as they are now.  Just curious.

Not that I can see from the most cursory of Google, but I think there's no doubt he's looked abroad on terms of learning his views on playing style, so combined with Pitarch I'm hoping it'll be fine.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #732 on: June 01, 2019, 02:28:56 PM »
I will put my money in Jota looking a million times better with us than with the shit. Let’s face it. If John McGinn looked the player he looks with us right now he wouldn’t have been with us to begin with. He was great under Bruce and has been nothing short of magnificent under Smith. Players change with their environment and that place would ruin any career. Much as former PL Villa ruined many careers. Jota will do well when he plays and we will buy many better players over the summer.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #733 on: June 01, 2019, 02:37:51 PM »

33? The last centre-half we picked up on a free from Chelsea was 36, and he did OK.  The Prem is different to the Championship though, obviously, but I doubt he'd be first-choice and if the money was OK I'd be comfortable with him being one of our 4 first-team centre-halves.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #734 on: June 01, 2019, 02:41:27 PM »
Can't say I was impressed the bit I saw of Jota last season, didn't know he only scored 3 goals in 40 apps last season, not exactly great for an attacking midfielder. Dean obviously knows him well, so will trust his opinion.

According to Wiki he is now a Villa player, not heard this from anywhere else.

Wiki now saying still a Blues player.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 02:52:03 PM by Villa Lew »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal