collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909842 times)

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #450 on: May 29, 2019, 03:01:40 PM »
This is going to sound ridiculous, I know, but I actually think before shelling out big money on someone like Maupay , I'd like to see if Scott Hogan could make an impact for us in the Premiership. 

Teams will set-up completely differently against us in the Premiership, leaving space in behind to exploit, much like when Vardy was a unknown quantity to top-flight defenders. I'm not suggesting he's going to have the same impact as Vardy, but I'd be worried that signing Maupay on the back of his form for Brentford, would effectively be a more expensive solution than Smith and co having a summer to try to get a tune out of Hogan...

***hides under the desk in anticipation of replies***

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #451 on: May 29, 2019, 03:03:43 PM »
If we don’t go for / get Tammy, I wonder if the time has finally come for Benni McCarthey?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #452 on: May 29, 2019, 03:03:55 PM »
This is going to sound ridiculous, I know, but I actually think before shelling out big money on someone like Maupay , I'd like to see if Scott Hogan could make an impact for us in the Premiership. 

Teams will set-up completely differently against us in the Premiership, leaving space in behind to exploit, much like when Vardy was a unknown quantity to top-flight defenders. I'm not suggesting he's going to have the same impact as Vardy, but I'd be worried that signing Maupay on the back of his form for Brentford, would effectively be a more expensive solution than Smith and co having a summer to try to get a tune out of Hogan...

I agree with the first six words of that post. 😊

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #453 on: May 29, 2019, 03:15:23 PM »
This is going to sign ridiculous I know x 2..

Andy Carroll been released by West Ham. I'd genuinely take him on a pay as you play deal. Impact sub. I realise this is very much the sort of player we'd be going after if Steve Bruce was still our manager and that Dean Smith is far more sane than I am and won't go anywhere near him, but I'd be quite happy to see him come on in the 82nd minute of games if we're desperate for a goal.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #454 on: May 29, 2019, 03:17:36 PM »

Andy Carroll been released by West Ham. I'd genuinely take him on a pay as you play deal. Impact sub. I realise this is very much the sort of player we'd be going after if Steve Bruce was still our manager and that Dean Smith is far more sane than I am and won't go anywhere near him, but I'd be quite happy to see him come on in the 82nd minute of games if we're desperate for a goal.

I think you've just dug me out of a hole there...;-)

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #455 on: May 29, 2019, 03:17:41 PM »

Decent hold up play, could work well.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #456 on: May 29, 2019, 03:21:02 PM »

I don't as it's not ridiculous, it's bat shit mental.

Offline DennisHodgetts

« Reply #457 on: May 29, 2019, 03:25:26 PM »
If we cant land Tammy, I think we should have a look at Danny Wellbeck. He is a free agent, has plenty of years left in him and has that knack of getting goals at all levels, even if he looks a bit ungainly. Wages might be an issue, but prefer him to Carroll or Benteke myself.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #458 on: May 29, 2019, 03:32:02 PM »
If we cant land Tammy, I think we should have a look at Danny Wellbeck. He is a free agent, has plenty of years left in him and has that knack of getting goals at all levels, even if he looks a bit ungainly. Wages might be an issue, but prefer him to Carroll or Benteke myself.

Hogan's looking a less ridiculous suggestion with each post!

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #459 on: May 29, 2019, 03:33:59 PM »
We have to learn harsh lessons from the past.

1. Our ability to have players leave for nothing, sell at the right time.
2. Buying players with terrible injury records and thinking we can rehabilitate them.
3. Buying players who have played tiny amount of football for the last few years.
4. Buying players who are on their way down and no longer have the desire and see us as easy street.

Offline danno

« Reply #460 on: May 29, 2019, 03:38:02 PM »

A bit like Sturridge in that I'm sure there's something left in the tank, but with his injury record I'd hope we stay well clear.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #461 on: May 29, 2019, 03:41:30 PM »

I don't as it's not ridiculous, it's bat shit mental.
Russell's been on Flange all night I suppose.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #462 on: May 29, 2019, 03:42:28 PM »

A bit like Sturridge in that I'm sure there's something left in the tank, but with his injury record I'd hope we stay well clear.

How about Sturridge?

May as well get the full list of injury but free signing options out at once.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #463 on: May 29, 2019, 03:44:38 PM »

I quite like Wellbeck, works hard.

Offline danno

« Reply #464 on: May 29, 2019, 03:47:52 PM »

How about Sturridge?

May as well get the full list of injury but free signing options out at once.

?? Perhaps my grammar wasn't clear, but I'd be reticent to take a chance on either Welbeck or Sturridge because of their habit of picking up injuries.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal