collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909694 times)

Online oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #375 on: May 28, 2019, 06:11:54 PM »
Seri looks a really talented player, but not sure he has the work ethic we need. Monaco look favourites for him.

There is a little lad at Leicester (Mendy maybe) that doesn't seem to start under Rodgers but IMO could be ideal for us in front of the back 4. Would not be shocked to see Smith look at signing Ryan Woods on the cheap from Stoke either as a squad option in midfield.

In goal, I don't see the point in signing another one unless Kalinic gets sold on, which wouldn't surprise me. Nyland will go once hes fully fit too. If we are in for a keeper though, one of the quality of Butland should be the sort of standard, not Johnstone who Albion fans are completely unimpressed by.

Jed's distribution is miles better than Johnstone's.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #376 on: May 28, 2019, 06:12:12 PM »
Posted this on the wrong thread.

We now have owners who are proper money men, in terms of how the've made their fortunes, the amounts of dosh available and their financial abilities.

In the modern business world there is huge kudos in being linked with/owning a successful EPL team and I think we can be certain that these 2 haven't bought Villa for it to be a plaything or a distraction.

Looking back, it's now obvious that despite what we thought at the time (wishful thinking?) that their predecessors:  Lerner - inherited Daddy's money, no business acumen and Dr T - nice guy, but out of his depth financially;  didn't really have sufficient financial firepower or executive skills for the modern game - hence last summer's crisis.

In contrast our current owners have made serious money and have shown their intentions to support the club from the day they came in - see the numerous injections of money on the balance sheet

Let's hope that Edens has used his American connections and seen/learned from how the Glazers, Kroenke and John Henry have managed things at ManU, Arsenal and Liverpool and Sawiris will has also picked up on Man Citeh and PSG etc. and they have formulated plans to capitalise on Monday's result -both on and off the pitch.

Dean Smith has proven to be a shrewd operator in the transfer market in the past - he did well in January - not overpaying, but finding players who he can improve and,  who at the same to time fit in with both his overall tactical philosophy whilst not upsetting the strong team spirit he creates.

I'm sure that the club has already started the rebuilding process -we've already pruned out the Academy players and will, no doubt be moving on a number of the first team squad.

Smith knows will certainly know who he wants to re-sign from our loan players and depending on the success or failure there will have targets already lined up if he isn't successful and for other positions where we need strengthening.

For once we have directors who have the money to back him.

I don't expect us to be spaffing (thanks Boris) £100m+ on a bunch of players like Fulham did last year who won't fit in - we all saw how that has ended.

I think we'll be both pleased and surprised by some of his signings  - here's to finding several more SJMs.

We've had too many false dawns over recent years - we need to ensure that this isn't another one.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #377 on: May 28, 2019, 06:16:00 PM »
Jean-Michel Seri at Fulham is one I'd be looking at.

Reckon he's got this summer's Idrissa Gueye written all over him.

Had seri in my fantasy team and soon got rid of him

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #378 on: May 28, 2019, 06:54:17 PM »
I’d like to continue to look at options in the Championship also. Joe Lolley looks like he’d fit right in to the way Dean Smith wants to play. We need technical players who love passing the ball and keeping possession. We are going to be paying some stupid sums at some point but we can still be shrewd with our signings.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #379 on: May 28, 2019, 07:02:07 PM »
I’d like to continue to look at options in the Championship also. Joe Lolley looks like he’d fit right in to the way Dean Smith wants to play. We need technical players who love passing the ball and keeping possession. We are going to be paying some stupid sums at some point but we can still be shrewd with our signings.

talk of the devil

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7079365/Aston-Villa-set-bid-Joe-Lolley-10m-Nottingham-Forest-forward-key-target.html

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #380 on: May 28, 2019, 07:04:26 PM »
I've just watched the brief interview with the two of them and Purslow on the official site Facebook and it's safe to say we're in good hands.....

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #381 on: May 28, 2019, 07:04:47 PM »
I think Lolley will happen, evrrything about it seems to fit.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #382 on: May 28, 2019, 07:06:55 PM »
I like Lolley - but would much rather we were in for Jarrod Bowen in that same position.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #383 on: May 28, 2019, 07:09:53 PM »
Nothing there suggesting any sort of bid is imminent.

Easy link to make because of the club he supports and the recent headlines surrounding Smith and Grealish.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #384 on: May 28, 2019, 07:11:20 PM »
I like Lolley - but would much rather we were in for Jarrod Bowen in that same position.

Sign both, one can play in cup games.

Offline charleeco7

« Reply #385 on: May 28, 2019, 07:55:16 PM »
I’d like to see us get Dwight Gayle, think he’d score a hat full and it’d piss of the Tesco bags.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #386 on: May 28, 2019, 07:59:50 PM »
I’d like to see us get Dwight Gayle, think he’d score a hat full and it’d piss of the Tesco bags.

Maybe if we'd stayed in the Championship.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #387 on: May 28, 2019, 10:37:46 PM »
Ruben Alcaraz from Valladolid being linked.  Central midfielder. Sky sources (yes, I know!!) say that Villa want to keep Tammy, Mings and Tuanzebe but the other two loaned players not mentioned, yet.   

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #388 on: May 28, 2019, 10:42:46 PM »
Lolley would be a massive yes from me.
I would hope we are in for him before he is snapped up by a prem......sorry, another premier league club.

We need a striker, as a priority.
As great as Tammy has been, it’s at this level. Frankly, he’s not good enough to be our main striker next season. That looks harsher than it’s meant to be.
I’d love to keep him but there has to be another reliable striker in the squad.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:49:06 PM by andyh »

Offline NottsVilla

« Reply #389 on: May 28, 2019, 10:56:19 PM »
Lolley would be a massive yes from me.
I would hope we are in for him before he is snapped up by a prem......sorry, another premier league club.

We need a striker, as a priority.
As great as Tammy has been, it’s at this level. Frankly, he’s not good enough to be our main striker next season. That looks harsher than it’s meant to be.
I’d love to keep him but there has to be another reliable striker in the squad.

Alexander Mitrovic may be available after Fulham's relegation but I think he cost them £30m+ so maybe we could get someone better (and cheaper) from a foreign league.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal