collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909913 times)

Offline cheltenhamlion

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #180 on: May 23, 2019, 07:34:24 PM »
I am deeply uncomfortable with giving Luton any money. In fact, I am uncomfortable giving them even the tshirt I puked on after over celebrating turning Olbiyun over.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #181 on: May 25, 2019, 11:57:35 AM »
Benteke on loan with an option to buy would suit all parties.  Tammmy will be over valued in my opinion and too big a risk for the likely £30m (or whatever).

Online KRS

« Reply #182 on: May 25, 2019, 12:14:06 PM »
No doubt Benteke would be a more affordable option but still seems a big risk to me given how poor he has been since leaving us. Dean would have to work a miracle to get him back to his best.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2019, 12:57:43 PM »
On loan with a view to buy might be a better option for Benteke.  'Coming home' might do him the world of good. Anyway, let's get there first eh?

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #184 on: May 25, 2019, 01:08:45 PM »
Why would we want a striker who's scored 4 goals in the last two seasons? Might as well sign Andy Carroll while we're at it.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #185 on: May 25, 2019, 01:11:10 PM »
Why would we want a player who's scored 4 goals in the last two seasons? Might as well sign Andy Carroll while we're at it.

Why would we want to sign a player with knackered knees like McGrath?
Why would we want to sign a player who'd played 17 games in 4 years like Mings?

Because they had ability if coached and supported in the right way. If Smith felt he could get a tune out of Benteke, I'd be all for it.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #186 on: May 25, 2019, 01:17:10 PM »
Why would we want a player who's scored 4 goals in the last two seasons? Might as well sign Andy Carroll while we're at it.

Why would we want to sign a player with knackered knees like McGrath?
Why would we want to sign a player who'd played 17 games in 4 years like Mings?

Because they had ability if coached and supported in the right way. If Smith felt he could get a tune out of Benteke, I'd be all for it.

The comparisons ring false - McGrath and Mings are both centre-halves, the former's issues were fitness/injury related rather than being anything to do with quality, and those issues persisted with us so technically nothing changed. He was also a one in a million player. Mings is still relatively young for a centre-half and was simply behind the pecking order with the likes of Aké doing well at Bournemouth. He wasn't dropped for being shite like Benteke was.

I don't buy the nature of the argument with regard to a striker who's dried up for many years now. We had his best years and he's only getting slower now. Avoid.

Online KRS

« Reply #187 on: May 25, 2019, 01:24:00 PM »
Don’t know if this article is bullshit or not, but states that Benteke is on £130k per week so it’s safe to assume that Palace would rather sell than loan. His wages would be a stumbling block for most clubs unless he takes a significant cut:

https://www.90min.com/posts/6374875-christian-benteke-refuses-to-leave-duo-set-for-exit-sorloth-future-uncertain-palace-news-roundup

There are better and cheaper options out there. Avoid.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #188 on: May 25, 2019, 02:18:08 PM »
Don’t know if this article is bullshit or not, but states that Benteke is on £130k per week so it’s safe to assume that Palace would rather sell than loan. His wages would be a stumbling block for most clubs unless he takes a significant cut:

https://www.90min.com/posts/6374875-christian-benteke-refuses-to-leave-duo-set-for-exit-sorloth-future-uncertain-palace-news-roundup

There are better and cheaper options out there. Avoid.

Totally agree. £500 a week and I'll sign on the dotted line.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #189 on: May 25, 2019, 02:48:59 PM »
Tammy would be a good signing at £30m for us if we go up. Even if he's only an average PL striker, that'd be fine for us for the next 3 years. He's only 21 and you'd not lose any money on it.

I personally think his ceiling is a lot higher than that, I think if he fills out and finishes a little more consistently he could be Champions League level. He's been playing upfront, alone in a 46 game season all year with the likes of Green, Adomah, Bolasie around him. He's gone for periods without Jack too and he still scores almost every game. Even without penalties it's 1 in 2.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #190 on: May 25, 2019, 04:04:27 PM »
Benteke is gone. He's not the same player any more. He's the young, fearless juggernaut of a player we signed and saw mature into what should have been one of the top players in Europe. That fire has been extinguished through his own greed, his poor decisions, poor form and a number of injuries. Putting him back in a Villa kit doesn't magically fix that. We need to sign stars of the future and not make expensive mistakes on players with limited current value or little future return.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #191 on: May 25, 2019, 04:27:06 PM »
He's only 28, he's not dead. A loan deal in which Palace pay some of his wages would be a good one for us. Obviously you wouldn't want him to be the only option so sign Abraham and some smaller bloke who can play off the forward, basically a better and faster version of Weimann, too.

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #192 on: May 25, 2019, 04:59:14 PM »
I wouldn’t touch Benteke with a barge pole, he’s not the same player. He should be looked at as an example of players receiving terrible advice from agents and going for money instead of what’s best for their career.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2019, 05:58:40 PM »
Would rather get Batshuyai on loan from Chelsea if he's unwanted there.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2019, 06:17:38 PM »
Whilst I'm reluctant to write a player off having seen players look re-galvanised under the right manager, I think we're looking more at younger players who can play at a high tempo and potentially have a good sell-on value.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal