collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by aj2k77
[Today at 10:01:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 10:00:03 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:57:10 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by chrisw1
[Today at 09:56:02 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by john e
[Today at 09:55:13 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by brontebilly
[Today at 09:53:18 AM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by brontebilly
[Today at 09:51:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bolton v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 14150 times)

Offline GarTomas

Re: Bolton v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2019, 10:22:01 AM »
I think the performances of Glen Whelan, Elmo and Taylor have been a real feature of this run.  All written off by many of us to some extent over the last few seasons (for me I've never  had time for Taylor in particular)  yet all consistently putting in stand out performances.

It just goes to show it's so easy to write off players who are out of form, low on confidence or not being used correctly.  Massive credit to them for turning things round and to Smith for  finding a way to get the best out of them.  Hopefully some of us will think twice before the 'should never wear the shirt again' comments in future!

This coaching lark well never catch on.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2019, 11:02:54 AM »
The first goal for us was always going to kill the game off and although we've played better, it was very very comfortable. It really is a good feeling being on this run of wins.

What were Bolton were playing at only opening two turnstiles for the lower block? We were meant to go through the Block H turnstile but they'd closed it. The queue to get in the other ones was enormous.
Probably down to the staff not getting paid

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2019, 11:25:40 AM »
My first league away game since the 90s I think.  Went with my Bruv so a good chance to catch up.  Lovely day, a couple of beers, and a good view from the upper tier.  We were lethargic first half yet still could have had a couple. We both said that if we stepped up even one gear we should blow them away.  As soon as second half kicked off you could see Jack was further forward, and of course it paid off straight away.  We could have had four or five over the next 20 minutes but switched off a bit after the second goal and seemed to be trying to walk it into the net.

Favourite moment was just after the first goal I decided to go for a piss.  Got downstairs and amidst a very loud chorus of "Super Jack" someone said to me "was it Jack"?  I almost said "no shit Sherlock".   

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2019, 11:45:00 AM »
I think the performances of Glen Whelan, Elmo and Taylor have been a real feature of this run.  All written off by many of us to some extent over the last few seasons (for me I've never  had time for Taylor in particular)  yet all consistently putting in stand out performances.

It just goes to show it's so easy to write off players who are out of form, low on confidence or not being used correctly.  Massive credit to them for turning things round and to Smith for  finding a way to get the best out of them.  Hopefully some of us will think twice before the 'should never wear the shirt again' comments in future!

This coaching lark well never catch on.

The form of those players is testament to good coaching and management. Bruce type managers take plaudits for getting performances out of players like Jack who barely need their input, whilst getting nothing out of the fringe players. There are no weak links in the team right now because everyone is playing to their strengths.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2019, 12:37:19 PM »

Online dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2019, 01:23:08 PM »
A six hour journey from Bournemouth with the M6 just stop start all the way. Poor first half but great second. Onwards to Millwall. UTV.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2019, 01:31:02 PM »
I wish El Ghazi and his amazing flip-flap skill to beat the full back was on video. Would love to see it again.

Any twitter clip of this? Was using a lump hammer on the garden so didn’t have a careful eye on the stream on the laptop next to me.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2019, 01:48:20 PM »

Thanks. Davis should have had a couple with a bit more luck.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2019, 02:21:22 PM »
I wish El Ghazi and his amazing flip-flap skill to beat the full back was on video. Would love to see it again.

9 minutes in..

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2019, 02:48:52 PM »
I know Neil Taylor is one of our weakest links but not only has he done well of late but watching the highlights from yesterday’s game and recently the understanding he’s developed with El Ghazi is really excellent. It’s allowing Anwar to get into really good positions and have the confidence to do what he’s best at.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal