collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 01:32:08 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 01:31:49 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 01:11:05 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:10:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 01:10:39 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:48:15 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 01:32:08 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 01:31:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:25:02 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 01:24:00 PM]

Re: Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by mrfuse
[Today at 01:22:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Villa Lew
[Today at 01:22:25 PM]

Re: Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa fans all saying the same thing about Steve Bruce at Sheffield Wed  (Read 34114 times)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Steve Bruce and Aston Villa meet on Saturday for the first time since he was sacked – and fans are calling on their former boss to be given a good reception.

Bruce was dismissed from Villa Park in October after a poor run of form brought a two-year spell in charge to an end.

After leading the club to the Championship play-off final last May, Villa won just once in Bruce’s final nine games in charge, with a 3-3 draw against Preston North End proving to be the final straw.

He was appointed by Sheffield Wednesday in January, taking up the manager’s job the following month after taking some time out to recuperate following a difficult year.

Bruce had two operations after leaving Villa and also had to deal with the loss of both of his parents.

And the time out has clearly worked with the 58-year-old having enjoyed a brilliant start to his reign at Hillsborough.

The Owls are undefeated in the 11 games under his stewardship, having won five and drawn six.

They sit in 11 place ahead of the weekend’s clash at home to Villa, three points outside the top six and four behind Bruce’s former employers.

Here’s what Villa fans are saying ahead of the meeting:

Aiden Bradley: Turned up to work after losing both parents and guided us to the play off final. Cracking bloke. Villa just needed to move forward and Bruce's football wasn't happening at Villa. Respect to the bloke I say.

Sean Baker: Deserves a good reception.

Phil Wattison: We should give him a great reception...respect the guy.

Nick Howlett: We treated him poorly in the end.

JD Carter: Undervalued and driven out by knee jerk supporters.

Jimmy Cobra: Nothing but respect for this man. All his personal stuff was never an excuse. Love the man to bits and will always be grateful to him for steadying the ship.

Yeoh Tze Siang: Please travelling fans, don't boo him. Congratulate him, show him we have class.

Mark Buswell: Remember he signed McGinn! What a player he has turned out to be. Bruce deserves respect!

James Richards: Great guy, turned us around. Just got stale

Micheal Knott: Still a good manager, respect earned for the way he conducted himself while grieving loss of family. But personally was he big enough a person to manage Villa, I don't think so. Wish him all the best (after next weekend).

Brian J Nutt: Greatest respect for this guy. As a player he was one of the best and nearly succeeded as a manager, but the world inside and outside of football went wrong for him at the same time. Good luck Brucie, you should always be welcome down Villa.

Daniel Witherstone: No hard feelings, he turned up at the play-off final...it was the players that failed to return the favour!

https://www.waste of paper.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-fans-saying-same-16057775

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 12:33:38 PM by not3bad »

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Fuck off.

(Not aimed at you not3bad, of course)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Left us with a squad not fit for purpose which Smith had to sort out and rightly got binned for it. Should have gone in the summer when his " get promoted using loans and then worry" plan failed -  the implications of that are still waiting to be faced if we don't got up this season. Having said that, any real lingering resentment towards the guy has faded due to him not being here anymore. He is what he is - I can see him getting Sheffield Wednesday up during his time there, but staying up for any long period of time? I doubt it.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
Never liked him. Still don't. Don't wish him any harm of course, and it was terribly sad about his parents, but he wasn't the man for us.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Some selective Fan choices there.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Fuck off.

(Not aimed at you not3bad, of course)

Fuck off indeed.  That's two Aston Villa fans both saying something entirely different.

Offline tomd2103

Comes across as a decent enough bloke and conducted himself with real dignity during some really tough personal circumstances in the second half of last season, but ultimately failed to do the job he was brought in to do.  Should have been relieved of his duties after losing the play off final, but I can understand why he wasn't given the circumstances at the club.

His habit of turning things round on the fans after poor defeats became annoying, but I can't really get too worked up about him either way to be honest.   

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Not sure why Michael Knott thinks he wasn't big enough to manage Aston Villa unless he thinks Smith isn't big enough?? He was certainly physically big enough...…….

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
That’s an April fool right. Decent guy, ran out of ideas and left us criminally under prepared for this season.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Yes fuck off thrice!
Wasted money on useless players, had many horrific runs where we didn't win a lot, even when we won it was hot pokers in eyes painful stuff and when he won two games in a row he would have a go at the fans. So fuck off indeed.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
Respect is a 2 way thing and the state he left the club in this season, especially defensively, showed a lack of respect by him for the biggest and best club he is ever likely to manage.
I firmly believe that if he was still in charge we would currently be fighting a relegation battle. Of course I always sympathised with him losing both his parents in the way he did, but quite simply he didn't do the job he was paid handsomely to do. He didn't make the playoffs in his 1st season when it was possible to do. He was no where near autos last season and failed in the playoff final due to his tactics (esp 1st half). This season he was disasterous. I will be hoping that football wins over bruceball on saturday for the good of the game. UTV!

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
This will probably be our most difficult game of season. Got battered for most of this fixture last season before turning it around late on.
Bruce has had a great start at Sheff Wed with limited resources, it's often a situation where he does his best work. Giving him a blank cheque like his first and final transfer windows with us, is where things start going wrong for him. I'm in a minority but I liked a lot of what he did at Villa, it wasn't sustainable but that wasn't the instant promotion at all costs brief he was given by Xia/Wynnes. Failing to replace Terry was his critical mistake, ending in farce v Preston with three right backs in defence and Bunn in goal!!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 01:58:20 PM by brontebilly »

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
Why do we even need to acknowledge him on Saturday? He wasn't a roaring success as manager so hardly deserves a hero's welcome, but equally he didn't really do anything to warrant abuse.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
I honestly don't care about the guy now he's left, it was never personal and I really don't care how the fans react either way. However a couple of those comments are just out right bullshit:

Nick Howlett: We treated him poorly in the end.

JD Carter: Undervalued and driven out by knee jerk supporters.

He was treated and valued exactly as he deserved to be, leaving us after 2 years (almost to the day) in pretty much the same position he found us having invested a fortune in older players and loans so we couldn't just sell his squad and use the money to fund replacements. Of his signings we'd make a profit on McGinn and maybe on Hourihane but all the rest are going to cost us far more than we'll ever get back and, in the main, haven't done enough to earn the money spent on them.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
I find those type or click baity headlines really annoying.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal