collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Meaning Evil. Stirring trouble  (Read 59046 times)

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
Re: Meaning Evil. Stirring trouble
« Reply #195 on: May 10, 2020, 02:47:17 PM »
Can't comment on The Mail, as I don't read it, but disagree with those, who think Villa should ban it from the ground. You can't ban a paper on the basis, you dislike it. I'm guessing that at least 50% of The Mail's readers is made up of Villa fans, so there is a fairly large amount of Villa fans, who must like the paper.

As Pete said just ignore the paper or alternatively tell them, what you think of them.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #196 on: May 10, 2020, 02:49:06 PM »
  Noel Whelan...didnt he injure himself when he was at Coventry?...by kicking in a Lemington Spa shop window?

Something like that as I recall. Noel Whelan's marriage failed, he had alcohol problems which included a drink driving ban and he went bankrupt. You would think he had enough on his plate without worrying about Villa.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2020, 12:31:47 AM »
Crap haircut and smackable face to boot. Coventry's version of Paul Tait.

Offline VillaSpen

« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2020, 07:11:48 AM »
I've got Ashley Preece in a debate on twitter about positive v negative Villa articles.  He seems to think there's loads of positive stuff.

I had the exact same debate via facebook with him. We'd just beaten Brighton at home this season (I only get back over every other year and hadn't seen us win one since Bristol City 5-0) and I had taken both of my boys for the very first time. My 9 year old had never seen us win in person, my grandad got to go the Villa with his great-grandkids for the first time ever, last minute winner etc.

I was feeling very positive about our chances and that evening Ashley Preece shared his latest piece onto one of those dreadful facebook Villa groups ( I swiftly left them after briefly joining them in the build up to our trip back). It was titled something like "Villa's 10 Worst Ever Mistakes". It was riddled with spelling mistakes and factual inaccuracies and I pointed out a couple of them. He got all stroppy immediately and said "LOL, it's not War and Peace mate, chill out." After I asked why the Mail seemed so anti-Villa he tagged that Rollaston bloke and he weighed in too. Neither of them gave any evidence other than saying that some writers at the mail were Villa fans.

They both came across as childish pillocks and just wouldn't let it go. If that's the standard of Mail reporting nowadays I'm glad I haven't bought a copy in 25 years.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2020, 01:02:53 PM »
Can't comment on The Mail, as I don't read it, but disagree with those, who think Villa should ban it from the ground. You can't ban a paper on the basis, you dislike it. I'm guessing that at least 50% of The Mail's readers is made up of Villa fans, so there is a fairly large amount of Villa fans, who must like the paper.

As Pete said just ignore the paper or alternatively tell them, what you think of them.

I'm not talking about banning it because I dislike it, I'm saying ban it because it is no longer a newspaper in effect, it's nothing more than an advertising hub that runs sensationalist bullshit to drive clicks to it's website. It's just using it's historical weight to continue to drain any last pennies from the jar, and treats the supporters of the club, the club and the city with thinly veiled disdain.

And nobody reads it anymore anyway.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #200 on: May 11, 2020, 01:15:18 PM »
The comment about it not being War and Peace tells you all you need to know about their standards. If writing is your living everything should be done correctly as if it were War and Peace, once you let your standards drop, then it's a slippery slope to text speak.

I like to do a bit of writing every now and again so refuse to use slang or text speak when sending messages, on here or in the most basic of e-mails, and never abandon punctuation. It's about habit, do it correctly all the time.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #201 on: May 11, 2020, 04:39:16 PM »
The comment about it not being War and Peace tells you all you need to know about their standards. If writing is your living everything should be done correctly as if it were War and Peace, once you let your standards drop, then it's a slippery slope to text speak.

I like to do a bit of writing every now and again so refuse to use slang or text speak when sending messages, on here or in the most basic of e-mails, and never abandon punctuation. It's about habit, do it correctly all the time.

ur rite of crs  :P

Offline Damo70

« Reply #202 on: May 11, 2020, 06:31:02 PM »

I'm not talking about banning it because I dislike it, I'm saying ban it because it is no longer a newspaper in effect, it's nothing more than an advertising hub that runs sensationalist bullshit to drive clicks to it's website. It's just using it's historical weight to continue to drain any last pennies from the jar, and treats the supporters of the club, the club and the city with thinly veiled disdain.

And nobody reads it anymore anyway.

My eighty five year old mother still reads it. Including the football coverage.

Online Simon Page

« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2020, 06:43:09 PM »
My 82-year-old mother still writes it, which is some going considering she's isolating in a dementia ward.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #204 on: May 11, 2020, 09:36:19 PM »
My Dad still reads it - and then gets angry about it. He's still going on and on about Paddy Riley every time we discuss football.

"I tell you what fucked Villa, that ****** Paddy Riley. I fucking hate that ******. He destroyed our club."

"How do you know?"

"Read it in the Evening Mail..."

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #205 on: May 11, 2020, 09:38:09 PM »
Ashley Preece has just said something on Twitter that's stirred the wrath of Steve Stride. That'll only have one winner.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #206 on: May 11, 2020, 09:50:43 PM »
Ashley Preece has just said something on Twitter that's stirred the wrath of Steve Stride. That'll only have one winner.
Has Ashley Preece deleted some tweets in that conversation? It seems he's tactically withdrawn from  being intellectually embarrassed.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #207 on: May 11, 2020, 10:52:16 PM »
Has Ashley Preece deleted some tweets in that conversation? It seems he's tactically withdrawn from  being intellectually embarrassed.

Just a few.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #208 on: May 11, 2020, 10:54:58 PM »
Doesn’t strike me as the brightest does our Ashley.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #209 on: May 12, 2020, 12:34:58 AM »
Doesn’t strike me as the brightest does our Ashley.

Have you ever encountered anyone bright called Ashley (either first name or surname)?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal