collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 03:00:52 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 02:59:37 PM]

Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:59:16 PM]

VAR by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:55:32 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Drummond
[Today at 02:34:47 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:32:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 03:00:52 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 02:59:37 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:59:16 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 02:58:00 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by DB
[Today at 02:57:05 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by OCD
[Today at 02:56:00 PM]

Re: VAR by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:55:32 PM]

Re: VAR by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:52:54 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Meaning Evil. Stirring trouble  (Read 59108 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Meaning Evil. Stirring trouble
« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2020, 11:25:20 PM »
I think this is probably a new low from the Birmingham Mail.

https://www.xxxx.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-mcginn-18172970

If he does leave it won't be for Newcastle.

Although who am I to argue with Noel 'Finger on the pulse of football' Whelan?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2020, 07:12:43 AM »
All the above are spot on although I reckon the real answer for favourite food = steak and chips, (well done).

I remember Bob Hazells being Curried Goat, which was both exotic and appalling at the same time for 1979.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2020, 05:35:35 PM »
All the above are spot on although I reckon the real answer for favourite food = steak and chips, (well done).

I remember Bob Hazells being Curried Goat, which was both exotic and appalling at the same time for 1979.

'Pre match meal' was usually 'beans on toast' or 'chicken'.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #183 on: May 05, 2020, 07:36:50 PM »
In my day 'favourite singer/band' was always Luther Vandross.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #184 on: May 05, 2020, 08:17:20 PM »
In my day 'favourite singer/band' was always Luther Vandross.

Luther Vandross and Phil Collins did seem to be mentioned a lot.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2020, 08:24:56 AM »
Favourite food always used to be Steak & Chips along with Favourite drink - Milk

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2020, 07:07:27 PM »
They’ve taken the piss out of us for years.  Giving us two Smethwick supporters in a row as they men inside Villa Park’ for a start off.  Surprised they didn’t go the whole hog and give us Twattum.  Even before that they had that horrible blue nose twonk Roger someone name escapes me being openly vitriolic about us in The Argus.

Skidmark, sorry Skidmore.

And what a proper bitter, jealous Bluenose he was.

I can remember Roger Skidmore doing a phone in show with Tom Ross.  Seemed like they were close to coming to blows at times, particularly when Skidmore branded our 90s league cup wins as Mickey mouse.

Online Rory

« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2020, 07:28:17 PM »
I agree with those who have said the Express & Star is a more reputable, balanced and well-written newspaper. Which is embarrassing in itself.

I know the populations and audiences are different, but I always fancied something like the Evening Standard in Birmingham, minus Osborne, of course.

Online Simon Page

« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2020, 07:49:06 PM »
I agree with those who have said the Express & Star is a more reputable, balanced and well-written newspaper. Which is embarrassing in itself.

I know the populations and audiences are different, but I always fancied something like the Evening Standard in Birmingham, minus Osborne, of course.

My memory might be playing tricks, but I have a vague recollection that the Post and Mail used to carry more national news in the 80s. I don't know if they still have it, but there used to be a London office. I had to go there a few times and it was like stepping into a Victorian accountants.

Regardless, in the late 90s, when it seemed to be constantly flipping ownership between Post & Mail and the Mirror, they got rid of all the good writers and started to scale back with the obvious results. What was once required reading and delivered to half the city eventually became a weekly parochial Post and a local Mail. All the regional editions were ditched and they prioritised director salaries over decent journalism. They tried to blame the BBC but the reasons it became a nothing outlet could be found in their own boardroom. Sadly, it's a state of affairs replicated across a lot of the country.

The Express & Star does still value journalism and, having the privilege of working with some of their former graduates, churns out some exceptional writers. There's a couple I work with who are off-the-scale brilliant.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2020, 10:20:38 AM »
Following Noel Whelan"s latest piece of "journalism" (I'm not linking it) , I would really like the club to ban the Mail once the doors at Villa Park reopen.

He, and they, are an absolute disgrace.

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #190 on: May 10, 2020, 11:32:36 AM »
Just avoid the Evil website altogether. It exists to bombard you with adverts, as soon as you click their links. Also, Noel Whelan isn't a journalist. He's a washed up talking head, spouting cliches for pin money.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #191 on: May 10, 2020, 11:47:43 AM »
Following Noel Whelan"s latest piece of "journalism" (I'm not linking it) , I would really like the club to ban the Mail once the doors at Villa Park reopen.

He, and they, are an absolute disgrace.

Agree, get them banned.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #192 on: May 10, 2020, 02:10:51 PM »
I had a very good book about Coventry's survival season around 1999/2000 time. It was called Staying Up and I think the authors name was something like Rick Goretsky. He had access all areas to the club, hotels, coaches to away trips etc. I gave it to the physio who got me walking again as she was a big Coventry fan (and Sandi Toksvig lookalike). In the book Noel Whelan comes across as a complete twat.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #193 on: May 10, 2020, 02:19:21 PM »
They’ve taken the piss out of us for years.  Giving us two Smethwick supporters in a row as they men inside Villa Park’ for a start off.  Surprised they didn’t go the whole hog and give us Twattum.  Even before that they had that horrible blue nose twonk Roger someone name escapes me being openly vitriolic about us in The Argus.

Skidmark, sorry Skidmore.

And what a proper bitter, jealous Bluenose he was.

I can remember Roger Skidmore doing a phone in show with Tom Ross.  Seemed like they were close to coming to blows at times, particularly when Skidmore branded our 90s league cup wins as Mickey mouse.

It wasn't a Mickey Mouse competition when we won it twice in the seventies, it wasn't a Mickey Mouse competition when Liverpool were happy to win it in the eighties, it wasn't a Mickey Mouse competition when we won it twice in the nineties and stopped Manure doing the domestic treble and Manchester City don't seem to have considered it to be a Mickey Mouse competition in recent years.

Offline big 1st serve

« Reply #194 on: May 10, 2020, 02:39:01 PM »
  Noel Whelan...didnt he injure himself when he was at Coventry?...by kicking in a Lemington Spa shop window?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal