collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Meaning Evil. Stirring trouble  (Read 58893 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Meaning Evil. Stirring trouble
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2019, 12:50:25 PM »
Has anyone noticed the ambiguous titles that our supposedly local newspaper (Evening Mail)is spouting especially on social media just
to get people to click on them

That's basically what most news organisations do on the internet.

The mail is particularly bad, though, totally agree.

The Mail is basically a tsunami of utterly fucking witless clickbait which, when you click through, will lead you to a page absolutely festooned with intrusive advertising (including video which counts down to an autoplay), and content that bears little or no relation to the headline you clicked through, and is usually just some nonsense lifted from Twitter / Youtube / elsewhere on the internet.

For example, they'll spot a few Villa fans on Twitter saying how well Mings played last week. That then becomes a clickbait headline of "Aston Villa fans amazed by player" or some-such, which when you follow basically consists of a paragraph about Mings plus four or five twitter quotes from fans saying he's really good.

Why and how is it that whatever volume I have my laptop set to any autoplay ad blasts out at me even louder than any music I play with my speakers connected and turned up to eleven?

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2019, 01:22:51 PM »
Even posting a link will help them - every website link to another website will add to the credibility of that site in Googles evaluation. I would imagine a backlink from Heroes and Villains would be worth having (unless this site automatically marks the link as a No Follow to tell google to ignore it)

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2019, 07:30:49 PM »
It is a bit like Club Call used to be in the 90's.

"VILLA SWOOP FOR WORLD CUP STAR" 0898 12 11 48

Phone them up and it's John fucking Fashanu, who admittedly did a USA '94 commentary stint on Nigerian TV.

0898 121148. This has just made me laugh so much. I remember when the first itemised phone bills started to come out and my Mum being stunned at that number appearing countless times on the bill.

She thought it was a sex line. Really it was a recorded message to say Ian Olney was getting back to full fitness after playing a reserve game.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 08:50:58 PM »

Phone them up and it's John fucking Fashanu, who admittedly did a USA '94 commentary stint on Nigerian TV.

0898 121148. This has just made me laugh so much. I remember when the first itemised phone bills started to come out and my Mum being stunned at that number appearing countless times on the bill.

She thought it was a sex line. Really it was a recorded message to say Ian Olney was getting back to full fitness after playing a reserve game.

I doubt even a permanently horny and hormonal teenage lad would find talk of Ian Olney sexually arousing. He had a head like Robbie Rotten off of Lazytown.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2019, 12:01:35 PM »
Has anyone noticed the ambiguous titles that our supposedly local newspaper (Evening Mail)is spouting especially on social media just
to get people to click on them

That's basically what most news organisations do on the internet.

The mail is particularly bad, though, totally agree.

The Mail is basically a tsunami of utterly fucking witless clickbait which, when you click through, will lead you to a page absolutely festooned with intrusive advertising (including video which counts down to an autoplay), and content that bears little or no relation to the headline you clicked through, and is usually just some nonsense lifted from Twitter / Youtube / elsewhere on the internet.

For example, they'll spot a few Villa fans on Twitter saying how well Mings played last week. That then becomes a clickbait headline of "Aston Villa fans amazed by player" or some-such, which when you follow basically consists of a paragraph about Mings plus four or five twitter quotes from fans saying he's really good.

You missed out the stories about a really great new restaurant/hotel/block of flats just opening.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2019, 12:23:43 PM »

This explains the short orgasmic grunt that used to proceed the singing of his name.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:25:29 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2019, 05:50:00 PM »

This explains the short orgasmic grunt that used to proceed the singing of his name.

Some people used to grunt 'Uh Ian Olney' and others plumped for a slightly camp 'Ooh Ian Olney' similar in style to Paul Whitehouse and Mark Williams Fast Show tailors.

Offline Confusious says

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2019, 08:03:01 PM »
It seems from most the posts on here that the paper will not change it’s spots, I think I can recall when Karen Brady was at small heath she thought there was similar anti feeling published about them.
She had a meeting with them threatening to call on all their fans not to buy the rag also any business advertisers not to use them, I think it helped their cause. Maybe Purslow ought to try something!!!

Offline The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2019, 09:58:27 PM »
Just ignore them. They are irrelevant.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2019, 10:01:45 PM »

i listened to a friendly v Monaco on it woops ! we won 2 nil mind

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2019, 10:11:36 PM »
‘I cannot even speak.’ Frederick Guilbert explains why he is livid after Aston Villa transfer.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2019, 10:27:29 PM »
‘I cannot even speak.’ Frederick Guilbert explains why he is livid after Aston Villa transfer.

yes I saw that but didn't bite ,  what was it about ?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2019, 10:37:47 PM »
Great example

Click bait text = "Ashamed’ - Why Frederic Guilbert is furious after Aston Villa transfer"

Click through article: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ashamed-frederic-guilbert-furious-after-15855916.amp

Precis: he is angry because his current club, Caen, are shit.

I'd be interested to hear Gregg Evans or Steve Wollaston defend misleading rubbish like that.

In fact, I'll ask them.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2019, 02:24:34 PM »
‘Many Villa hearts will shatter after Journo updates their chances of signing 25 year old.’

Alan Nixon three word tweet ‘won’t be cheap.’
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 05:06:07 PM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2019, 02:39:31 PM »
They show themselves up as what they are, a bunch of syphilitic parasites, bottom feeding muckrakers. (Phrase curtesy of Robert Downey Jr after his interview with that err bottom feeding muckraker from channel 4 news). Mind you, I don't think even he's as massively punchable as Gregg Evans.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal