collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jacob Ramsey  (Read 276113 times)

Offline nigel

Re: Jacob Ramsey
« Reply #660 on: December 15, 2021, 08:23:58 AM »
When he first broke into the side he looked like a rabbit in the headlights. I didn’t see anything special in him. This season he started well, but last night was special. He took ownership, showed maturity and no fear at all. He really has everything to be the complete player & he’s got a great mentor now to coach him to be a success

Agree with that, but whereas you didn’t, I did see something there. I have to admit, I didn’t expect the upturn to be so quick, though.
It’s evident he’s been in the gym as his physical side was something he definitely had to work on.

He is going to be one heck of a player at this rate.
His goal last night was one you’d see from Salah

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #661 on: December 15, 2021, 09:34:52 AM »
Man this kid has to be one if the most improved youngsters. Last year he looked so average. This year he looks unbelievable

WEll done JJ!
Absolutely.  Whilst he had great energy and some nice touches the games largely passed him by last season.  But this season he's been one of our better players right from the off.

I'm expecting a similar development curve with Carney, which is why he needs to be patient and tell his agent to shut up.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #662 on: December 15, 2021, 09:35:53 AM »
Agreed, with all the previous points, you could see last season that Ramsey looked a decent player, without looking anything special at any one thing. Now when he's running with the ball, he looks exceptional. The pace, strength, skill and eye for goal he displayed last when scoring was absolutely top class. When he's driving forward with the ball he's a bums off seats player. Well done Jacob, keep it up.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #663 on: December 15, 2021, 09:36:09 AM »
looking forward to seeing his brother arrive in the first team  as he is meant to be better ?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #664 on: December 15, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »
I didn't see any rabbit in the headlights last season. He played pretty well in most games albeit was still learning how to impose himself at senior level.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #665 on: December 15, 2021, 09:39:26 AM »
Good lad.

Offline Risso

« Reply #666 on: December 15, 2021, 09:39:43 AM »
I didn't see any rabbit in the headlights last season. He played pretty well in most games albeit was still learning how to impose himself at senior level.

Agreed Eamonn, he never looked out of place, he just looked a bit ordinary. Now though, I reckon with McGinn and Martinez he's one of the first names on the team sheet.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #667 on: December 15, 2021, 10:19:58 AM »
looking forward to seeing his brother arrive in the first team  as he is meant to be better ?

Don't start jinxing it, we've had those hopes more than once in the last couple of decades and they've ended up going to shit. In the case of one set, literally.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #668 on: December 15, 2021, 10:37:41 AM »

Don't start jinxing it, we've had those hopes more than once in the last couple of decades and they've ended up going to shit. In the case of one set, literally.

I think we've all seen that natural ability alone doesn't get you into a side competing in the top half of the premier league.  Aaron may well have more natural ability than his older brother, or maybe he's just been lucky to be surrounded by much better players at youth level than Jacob had, which has allowed him to show more ability himself; but either way, as we've seen with Jacob, it can take a while for youngsters to find their feet at this level. Certainly in terms of consistency - so we have to be patient with all the youth prospects. A couple of quiet/ineffective games doesn't mean they won't be an asset over the next year or two.

The challenge we'll have, if our trajectory continues, is giving them that time in the side.  JJ was probably lucky he was able to get the games he's had over the last 18 months, because we weren't a side blessed with lots midfield options. That is changing, and will continue to do so, for all positions.

But right now, JJ's personal trajectory has to be the roadmap for ALL the youngsters.  Do well in the academy and U23 - go for a lower league loan and do well, come back and have a handful of appearances over the course of a year or so, then establish yourself as a first-team regular.

Online Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #669 on: December 15, 2021, 10:39:41 AM »
I feel like those saying he looked 'ordinary' last season are being harsh, as he's always clearly been really talented. That first touch, awareness of space and ability to glide with the ball like he did for the goal last night has always been there. His passing range is excellent too. In Gerrard's system that no. 8 role is extremely demanding, but also offers big rewards as they're actively encouraged to push beyond the wide front players and get in on goal a lot more.

I think last season was just absolutely normal in his development, in that at (then) 19 years old, he only showed that talent in bursts and was clearly taking time to get used to the speed of the PL - as you'd expect. JG had similar issues with consistency of output at the same age, with the obvious flashes of brilliance. There are very, very few young players who can have that kind of consistent influence on a top-level game at 19/20 years old.

To have such a complete midfielder with 50 PL apps at his age is extremely rare, and I feel as though he's definitely flown under the radar in terms of the best young players in the league this season (perhaps because for a 6 week block we stunk the place out)... Hopefully the goal last night will put people on notice to what a player we've got on our hands.

If Gallagher is (rightfully) now getting in the mix for the England squad JJ will not be far behind if he continues this level for the rest of the season.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #670 on: December 15, 2021, 10:50:29 AM »
I feel like those saying he looked 'ordinary' last season are being harsh,
They're not.  He did.  Nobody was saying he was shit etc, just that the game mostly passed him by.  As you say he was developing and we're reaping the rewards from that mow.  But last season he was mostly ineffective.  He has learn't from that and kicked on, which is great.

Online LukeJames

« Reply #671 on: December 15, 2021, 10:52:22 AM »
I think he looked neat and tidy last season without looking spectacular, this season he's developed a drive to his game and he looks excellent at times.

Online Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #672 on: December 15, 2021, 11:07:31 AM »
They're not.  He did.  Nobody was saying he was shit etc, just that the game mostly passed him by.  As you say he was developing and we're reaping the rewards from that mow.  But last season he was mostly ineffective.  He has learn't from that and kicked on, which is great.

No, he didn't. He was very clearly not an 'ordinary', technically limited, jobbing central midfielder - that was never the case. He has exceptional attributes. Inconsistent, sure. As I said, that's like calling 19-year old Grealish 'ordinary'.

Offline Risso

« Reply #673 on: December 15, 2021, 11:09:41 AM »

No, he didn't. He was very clearly not an 'ordinary', technically limited, jobbing central midfielder - that was never the case. He has exceptional attributes. Inconsistent, sure. As I said, that's like calling 19-year old Grealish 'ordinary'.

He didn't really show those abilities though. He didn't look out of place, but struggling to think of a game last season where you would come away thinking "wow, what a talent."

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #674 on: December 15, 2021, 11:25:09 AM »

He didn't really show those abilities though. He didn't look out of place, but struggling to think of a game last season where you would come away thinking "wow, what a talent."

I was always impressed by his composure, and thought that would mean he would go far. But even with that the upturn this year has been remarkable, he seemed to come back from the summer looking like a man.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal