collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:20:31 PM]

VAR by PaulWinch again
[Today at 07:20:28 PM]

Crystal Palace by Fingers
[Today at 07:18:14 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:15:54 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:09:39 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:06:40 PM]

Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 06:55:20 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 06:50:36 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:20:31 PM]

Re: VAR by PaulWinch again
[Today at 07:20:28 PM]

Re: Crystal Palace by Fingers
[Today at 07:18:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:15:54 PM]

Re: VAR by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 07:14:31 PM]

Re: VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:14:31 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 07:13:14 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:09:39 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Shambolic Aston Villa vs Smethwick Post-Match Thread  (Read 46208 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Shambolic Aston Villa vs Smethwick Post-Match Thread
« Reply #285 on: February 17, 2019, 07:08:10 PM »
Ask anybody who has ever acted in any scouting capacity and the club they most admire and respect for finding talent is Leicester City.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #286 on: February 17, 2019, 07:11:01 PM »
Wolves going up had as much to do with a Champions League player in their central midfield.

Lots of ways to skin rabbits. But the Dingles, Leicester, Norwich, Huddersfield...all seemed a lot more mobile than us.
All of those clubs, plus a few others who are now regulars in the Premier League all had the luxury of having supporters who would give them time because they were used to little better. Tell a Huddersfield supporter in 2014 that no matter how unlikely it'd seem for the next two years, they'd get promoted in the third and they'd have bitten your hand off. Give us the same deal in 2016 and we'd have told you to go and bollocks - because we're used to the Premier League whereas it's a magical place if you're Huddersfield.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #287 on: February 17, 2019, 07:13:51 PM »
We had Jedinak at the bottom of our midfield. They had a 22 year old Champions League player.

Great. That’s all we need to do then. Put a Champions League player in our midfield and sorted.

If he'd been there last season instead of a bloke who finds a team mate 6 times out of 10, we'd be in the Premier League right now.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #288 on: February 17, 2019, 07:26:09 PM »
We had Jedinak at the bottom of our midfield. They had a 22 year old Champions League player.

Great. That’s all we need to do then. Put a Champions League player in our midfield and sorted.

If he'd been there last season instead of a bloke who finds a team mate 6 times out of 10, we'd be in the Premier League right now.

Well he wasn’t and we aren’t. My point is that Wolves did more than sign one champions league midfielder. They changed a manager, a philosophy and three quarters of a team in one off season. And they used money and know how to do it. I would kill someone’s first born to be the in their position now. The irony is I think we would have the money but I’m not sure about the know how. I mean, how the hell did wolves become attractive to Nuno? It’s a rhetorical question by the way, so I don’t really need an explaination.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #289 on: February 17, 2019, 07:31:28 PM »
Surely everyone knows by now why Nuno went there?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #290 on: February 17, 2019, 07:35:22 PM »
Wolves - and Leeds for that matter - had to kiss a lot of frogs before they found their handsome prince. Why are they doing so well now? It's probably connected to the reason why the longest-running joke in English football is now the most successful.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #291 on: February 17, 2019, 07:36:46 PM »
Surely everyone knows by now why Nuno went there?
Apparently he had a dream

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #292 on: February 17, 2019, 07:40:40 PM »
Ask anybody who has ever acted in any scouting capacity and the club they most admire and respect for finding talent is Leicester City.

Southampton have to be the best in recent years, surely?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #293 on: February 17, 2019, 07:41:18 PM »

Southampton have to be the best in recent years, surely?

Liverpool seem to think so.

Online LukeJames

« Reply #294 on: February 17, 2019, 07:42:34 PM »

Well he wasn’t and we aren’t. My point is that Wolves did more than sign one champions league midfielder. They changed a manager, a philosophy and three quarters of a team in one off season.

Aswell as a Champions League midfielder, they also got a Champions League manager, defender and winger. They also did this during the summer.
If Nuno had come in half way through the previous season (as Smith has at Villa) he would of been coaching Jack Price, Dave Edwards, Dominic Iorfa, Noaha Dicko, Danny Batth, Kourtney Hause, Joe Mason instead. Would they have been patient with him trying to get his style across with players nowhere near the level he coached at Porto or now?
Thankfully for them he came in the Summer and we all know what followed. Frustratingly for us we were unable to make a change in the summer and had to do it mid season (again)

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #295 on: February 17, 2019, 08:04:14 PM »

Well he wasn’t and we aren’t. My point is that Wolves did more than sign one champions league midfielder. They changed a manager, a philosophy and three quarters of a team in one off season.

Aswell as a Champions League midfielder, they also got a Champions League manager, defender and winger. They also did this during the summer.
If Nuno had come in half way through the previous season (as Smith has at Villa) he would of been coaching Jack Price, Dave Edwards, Dominic Iorfa, Noaha Dicko, Danny Batth, Kourtney Hause, Joe Mason instead. Would they have been patient with him trying to get his style across with players nowhere near the level he coached at Porto or now?
Thankfully for them he came in the Summer and we all know what followed. Frustratingly for us we were unable to make a change in the summer and had to do it mid season (again)

And we still gave them a spanking at Villa Park. Too bad  we couldn’t follow it up.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #296 on: February 17, 2019, 08:32:30 PM »

He also inherited likes of Conor Coady and Matt Doherty. Coady was just another average defensively midfielder, Nuno moved him into a back 3 as the ball playing defender and he's been a revelation. Doherty was nothing special but is also crucial to Wolves system and been one of best wide players in premier league this season.

Helder Costa and Ivan Cavaliero were actually at Wolves in 16/17. Have a guess which Scottish manager had Wolves losing six in a row even with those players in the ranks...

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #297 on: February 17, 2019, 09:04:53 PM »
Our keeper looked crap for the first goal. He really doesn't seem the most agile.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #298 on: February 17, 2019, 09:09:48 PM »
Our keeper looked crap for the first goal. He really doesn't seem the most agile.

I thought it looped well over him and he stood no chance.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #299 on: February 17, 2019, 09:25:53 PM »

I thought it looped well over him and he stood no chance.

I haven't seen any footage of yesterday (I don't want to), but the times I've seen Kalinic so far I've thought that it's a good job he's tall because he doesn't seem able to jump.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal