collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 876081 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #3390 on: April 11, 2021, 11:29:29 AM »
Every time he's called up for England his next few games are ropey.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3391 on: April 11, 2021, 02:16:40 PM »
On one to one's with Wijnaldum, his instict was to rely on his physical prowess and he manhandled him quite a bit. Klopp was in the ref's ear about it one occasion. For all his attributes, I'm still unconvinced by him. I think Konsa looks a lot more of a top-six centre back than Mings.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #3392 on: April 11, 2021, 02:25:21 PM »
On one to one's with Wijnaldum, his instict was to rely on his physical prowess and he manhandled him quite a bit. Klopp was in the ref's ear about it one occasion. For all his attributes, I'm still unconvinced by him. I think Konsa looks a lot more of a top-six centre back than Mings.
Agreed - I'd like us to get another CB in over the summer; get some real competition for Mings.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3393 on: April 12, 2021, 09:09:03 AM »

His overall game is easily good enough for a top 6 club, it's just the mistakes that mark him down. Two really bad, sloppy bits of play two games one running, with one leading to a goal and one nearly doing so. To be fair, it's been ages since he's done that, but it shows it's always there in him. You just don't get that with Konsa.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3394 on: April 12, 2021, 09:22:08 AM »

His overall game is easily good enough for a top 6 club, it's just the mistakes that mark him down. Two really bad, sloppy bits of play two games one running, with one leading to a goal and one nearly doing so. To be fair, it's been ages since he's done that, but it shows it's always there in him. You just don't get that with Konsa.
with Southgate watching, thinking that type of error and you are out of the tournament.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #3395 on: April 12, 2021, 09:27:37 AM »

with Southgate watching, thinking that type of error and you are out of the tournament.
That would also take Stones out of the squad after his cock up in the last set of England games.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3396 on: April 12, 2021, 10:09:22 AM »

That would also take Stones out of the squad after his cock up in the last set of England games.
Agree, but Stones had not put a foot wrong this season, Mings had gone a couple of months then 2 in 2 weeks.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3397 on: April 12, 2021, 10:12:03 AM »

Agree, but Stones had not put a foot wrong this season, Mings had gone a couple of months then 2 in 2 weeks.

Stones isn't put under anything like the pressure Mings is when playing at club level.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3398 on: April 12, 2021, 10:15:39 AM »

Stones isn't put under anything like the pressure Mings is when playing at club level.
we are talking unforced errors here, most of his cock ups are when he has time and space and has lapses of concentration.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #3399 on: April 12, 2021, 10:40:12 AM »
the error against Fulham and the one Mings got away with on the weekend were both unforced - it's almost like Mings has too much time on his hands to consider what to do - he seems better at impulsive defending.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3400 on: April 12, 2021, 01:33:35 PM »
the error against Fulham and the one Mings got away with on the weekend were both unforced - it's almost like Mings has too much time on his hands to consider what to do - he seems better at impulsive defending.

His horrible lack of balance on his right side tends to be the problem for most of his unforced errors. Tries to overplay on his left side to compensate and makes mistakes as a result.

He has certainly got better in the air this year but he seemed to be beaten by Jota at that set piece at the weekend. Bit of a sitter missed there, free header 5 yards out.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3401 on: April 12, 2021, 01:36:05 PM »
If I was Southgate I'd be going nowhere near him after those errors, but he has that thing that only England ever seem to care about, 'leadership'.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3402 on: April 13, 2021, 12:21:35 AM »

Unfortunately those ricks are so common that they are part of his overall game. It's only a few games ago that the might of Joelinton made a complete mug of him for example. Mings has certainly improved from last season, admittedly a very low bar, but he'd be a liability in knock out international football. Can get rattled very easily and makes the kinds of unforced errors that kill teams. Agreed on Konsa, he's a much classier player.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #3403 on: April 13, 2021, 09:10:15 AM »
... He has certainly got better in the air this year but he seemed to be beaten by Jota at that set piece at the weekend...
I made a point on another thread that we lack really top-notch heading defensiveness (Burnley away and Wet Spam away being 2 examples that spring to mind). I'd like to see someone come in that could potentially offer that, have the development value that Konsa has and offers a genuine alternative to Mings. It would also offer more flexibility of set-up (if, for example, we wanted to go for a back 3 - as several other top-10 teams do more or less).

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3404 on: April 13, 2021, 09:21:39 AM »
I'd say Hause is right up there in terms of top notch heading defensiveness.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal