collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 877040 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: Tyrone Mings - Confirmed
« Reply #795 on: April 23, 2019, 01:08:46 PM »
So beyond the genuine Footyskillz Ronglish of him being a Fish n Chip defender, when’s the last time we had a ball carrying centre back you had such confidence in to watch bring the ball out from the back?

At times yesterday, Mings was like an even more scary version of Alan Hanson

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #796 on: April 23, 2019, 03:16:26 PM »
 he can play the ball out of defence, often with a killer long range pass. I think he really gets the club and it would be brilliant business if we can get him in the summer.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #797 on: April 23, 2019, 03:26:53 PM »
Even though it's a level below the Premier League, to me he looks to be the best defender we've had since McGrath.  He looks to have everything in his game; aerial ability, pace, excellent distribution and raw unbridled strength.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #798 on: April 23, 2019, 03:41:35 PM »
I am surprise he is classed more as a left back?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #799 on: April 23, 2019, 04:23:16 PM »
Even though it's a level below the Premier League, to me he looks to be the best defender we've had since McGrath.  He looks to have everything in his game; aerial ability, pace, excellent distribution and raw unbridled strength.

I largely agree, he's a complete central defender and we haven't had many of those, just lots of players that are nearly there.  My only concern is how he'd handle the pace of someone like Sterling or Mane and if he has the temprament to deal with someone like Salah trying to get him sent off all game.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #800 on: April 23, 2019, 04:32:01 PM »

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say he's better than Laursen or Mellberg. I'd say he might potentially be as good as Vlaar one day soon, he just needs to prove himself in the Prem first.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #801 on: April 23, 2019, 04:35:15 PM »

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say he's better than Laursen or Mellberg. I'd say he might potentially be as good as Vlaar one day soon, he just needs to prove himself in the Prem first.

Chocolate Vlaar Guard?  Plywood Ron.  I think he is better than him already.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #802 on: April 23, 2019, 04:41:18 PM »

Absolutely love Mings but I think we need to be careful getting to carried away. Can't wait to (hopefully!) see him in the Prem with us next season and how he gets on.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #803 on: April 23, 2019, 04:43:39 PM »

Vlaar was well average in retrospect. Mainly due to injuries I suppose.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #804 on: April 23, 2019, 10:37:25 PM »

He appears to be more composed on the ball than Mellberg, but as I alluded to in my post, he's playing in a lower division so your point about Laursen and Mellberg is a good one.  You could include Southgate and Ugo in that too I guess.

Vlaar though?!  Fucking hell, he was utter shite.  Mile Jedinak is a better central defender than him.

Offline Sunny Villa

« Reply #805 on: April 24, 2019, 01:54:57 AM »
On Mr Ming's ,maybe Mr Terry has been an important person in his terrific form

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #806 on: April 24, 2019, 05:00:22 AM »
Before we compare them to our former and distinguished PL players let’s see our players at that level. If we go up and keep the likes of Mings, SJM, Tammy and Jack then it will be a brilliant test of how far they have come. Right now they are playing above the level of the Championship but it’s a big jump to play week in week out against PL talent.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #807 on: April 24, 2019, 05:38:49 AM »
This is true. One poster on here suggested if we go up, we’ll likely do a Fulham and go straight back down. I hadn’t considered that possibility, but I suppose it’s more likely than not, unless we strengthen big time in the summer (and assuming we do actually go up).

I do think though, that there’s probably the nucleus of a side that could survive a season in the PL and would relish the challenge. And I really hope they get the opportunity to do that. I’d guess the club are likely planning for either scenario of going up or staying down at the minute. But as a supporter, I find it hard to look past the playoffs right now.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #808 on: April 24, 2019, 09:30:58 AM »
This is true. One poster on here suggested if we go up, we’ll likely do a Fulham and go straight back down. I hadn’t considered that possibility, but I suppose it’s more likely than not, unless we strengthen big time in the summer (and assuming we do actually go up).

I do think though, that there’s probably the nucleus of a side that could survive a season in the PL and would relish the challenge. And I really hope they get the opportunity to do that. I’d guess the club are likely planning for either scenario of going up or staying down at the minute. But as a supporter, I find it hard to look past the playoffs right now.

Although I do have concerns about coming straight back down, the saving grace is that when teams actually try to play good football against us, we have the better results - as this current team seems to up their game accordingly and play much more attractive football.

I believe our biggest failing in most of the years following this wonderful club is not in raising our game to match/outplay the opposition, (apart from the last disastrous years in the league above us), but failing to brush off opposition that come and play crap or a holding/defensive pattern - something else that seems to have been recently addressed, as I cannot remember when I've witnessed so many games where we have gone through the motions professionally, with a winning result.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #809 on: April 24, 2019, 10:24:29 AM »
Mings has confirmed via his twitter account that he was singing along with the Holte end rendering of "allez allez" DURING the match v Millwall. What a guy. Villa legend in the making.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal