collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 876177 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Tyrone Mings - Confirmed
« Reply #570 on: March 04, 2019, 07:24:18 PM »
Despite the mess we were in last summer we still got PL players like Tammy Abraham and Bolasie. We still signed Kalinic in January and kept Abraham as well as adding Mings. All of these players had other options but decided Aston Villa was the place to be despite our clouds of uncertainty.

If Dean Smith can finish the season strongly, the sides that are coming up and down into the Championship in my opinion won't be as powerful as the last three seasons with Newcastle, Wolves and even Leeds/Norwich who are just more consistent. It won't be easy but I believe if it doesn't happen this season we have a brilliant chance next year and it might convince players like Mings, Jack etc to stick around for one more go.

I agree with this and think this is why Jack and SJM won't be going anywhere this summer.  One last crack, several players leaving on free's to free up salary.  Several players available to us on Bosman's and some at Villa on loan deals but with fees already agreed.  Makes for an interesting summer!

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #571 on: March 04, 2019, 07:26:17 PM »
I just hope we can sign him in the summer he's been brilliant for us.
We’re all going to be gutted as he was sent here to increase his saleability . Cherries will cash in on him going to go to a prem team.
We’ll have plenty more gaps to fill on our very tight costs base

If this is true, and 'Cherries' are only interested in raising the price as much as possible, why would they give a fuck on whether the team offering it is in the Premiership or the Championship?

The player might well have a preference on which league, I doubt the selling club would - in fact selling to a club not one of their rivals would be advantageous if anything.

Also, is this the 'tight costs basis' that just spent £7m on a keeper and £5m on a fullback in January, also offering £12m for a Championship centre-back? And actively fought for an on-loan striker to stay who we are paying up to a couple of million just to loan?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #572 on: March 04, 2019, 08:23:53 PM »
re the tight cost basis - we can't flaunt FFP forever.  If we don't go up there's no doubt we will have to cut back.

Offline SheffieldVillain

« Reply #573 on: March 04, 2019, 09:00:17 PM »

re the tight cost basis - we can't flaunt FFP forever.  If we don't go up there's no doubt we will have to cut back.

Of course we can't. Just until we get promoted is fine!

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #574 on: March 05, 2019, 08:36:34 AM »

Says a lot about our experience with centre backs over the last however many years when an under the radar and discarded PL player like Mings comes in and looks a whole different level to what we've had for quite some time.

If we could somehow convince him to stay in the Championship and find the funds needed he'd be first on my summer buy list.

Offline SheffieldVillain

« Reply #575 on: March 05, 2019, 09:48:54 AM »

Says a lot about our experience with centre backs over the last however many years when an under the radar and discarded PL player like Mings comes in and looks a whole different level to what we've had for quite some time.

If we could somehow convince him to stay in the Championship and find the funds needed he'd be first on my summer buy list.

Yep. An under the radar and discarded PL player who was mostly thought of as a left back as well!

Mine too.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #576 on: March 05, 2019, 04:00:23 PM »

Yep. An under the radar and discarded PL player who was mostly thought of as a left back as well!

Mine too.

I thought our CB pairing last season was alreet, TBH. The season before was fine as well when Beckenbaker slotted in instead of Elphick.

There are things I like about Mings, but we have still looked ropey at the back even after his arrival. That's not all on him, but Sheff U and Brentford away I thought he looked ropey.

That said, if the deal can be done for the right price, I'd take it. Covers us in two positions and age-wise, I think there is far more to come from him.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #577 on: March 10, 2019, 02:22:06 PM »
Complete beast. Would love him signed.

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #578 on: March 10, 2019, 02:23:20 PM »
If we can sign him permanently it would be fantastic, he is an absolute beast.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #579 on: March 10, 2019, 02:33:42 PM »
Been a huge surprise to me considering he's played most of his career at left back.

Would sign him without hesitation. He's a proper leader.

Also good in the air which is sort of partner Chester needs alongside him so he can drop off and read the player. If Chester can return and be his old self next season then we'd actually have a decent back line out from the first game.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #580 on: March 10, 2019, 02:34:24 PM »
quality defender at our level, beast in the air and very tidy on the ball. Crying out for a better full back on the ball than Neil Taylor next him mind you

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #581 on: March 10, 2019, 02:36:21 PM »
quality defender at our level, beast in the air and very tidy on the ball. Crying out for a better full back on the ball than Neil Taylor next him mind you

Get Chester back next few weeks and Hause will move back there, he is very calm on the ball.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #582 on: March 10, 2019, 02:36:44 PM »

Kortney Hause in time. What he will need if he can secure his signing is a really good right sided CB. We don't know much about the French lad we have at RB but can only hope he's solid and a significant step up to Hutton and Elmo.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #583 on: March 10, 2019, 03:13:33 PM »
Any news on Axel? How about a back 4 of Mings, Chester, Axel and Korts?

Offline manic-road

« Reply #584 on: March 10, 2019, 03:19:47 PM »
Mings was immense today, has looked more than decent from day one in a Villa shirt.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal