collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 890510 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #5265 on: August 10, 2022, 06:11:03 PM »
Again, so much extrapolation from so little. The need to feed the negative borders on hysteria.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #5266 on: August 10, 2022, 06:21:19 PM »
Again, so much extrapolation from so little. The need to feed the negative borders on hysteria.

What do you mean?

Its a pretty big call for SG to strip him of the armband, knock him down a few pegs on the leadership ladder and put him on the bench. I don't think anyone is feeding into the negativity. I just think people are concerned that this self-inflicted wound will cause inner turmoil and set the season out on the wrong foot.

Offline ez

« Reply #5267 on: August 10, 2022, 06:23:05 PM »
We'd regret letting him go, I'm sure of it.

Agree. I reckon Gerrard needs Mings more than Mings needs Gerrard.

Offline Ads

« Reply #5268 on: August 10, 2022, 06:24:25 PM »

What do you mean?

Its a pretty big call for SG to strip him of the armband, knock him down a few pegs on the leadership ladder and put him on the bench. I don't think anyone is feeding into the negativity. I just think people are concerned that this self-inflicted wound will cause inner turmoil and set the season out on the wrong foot.

The over analysis of an injured player not being up to playing perhaps physically or mentally at the weekend and a throw away line, is bewildering. The negativity on this site is rampant.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #5269 on: August 10, 2022, 06:30:44 PM »

What do you mean?

The over analysis of an injured player not being up to playing perhaps physically or mentally at the weekend and a throw away line, is bewildering. The negativity on this site is rampant.

The injury was only announced yesterday, and he was fit enough to be on the bench for Saturday's match..?

I don't see the same negativity. If anything, the negativity around his performances was more prevalent than what's going on now.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #5270 on: August 10, 2022, 06:31:53 PM »
When did he become physically or mentally unwell?  What positivity can be spoofed up out of two games won in the last twelve, both against subsequently relegated sides.

Offline Ads

« Reply #5271 on: August 10, 2022, 06:44:13 PM »

What do you mean?

The injury was only announced yesterday, and he was fit enough to be on the bench for Saturday's match..?

I don't see the same negativity. If anything, the negativity around his performances was more prevalent than what's going on now.

No, he had a knock before the Bournemouth game too.

Offline KRS

« Reply #5272 on: August 10, 2022, 07:01:04 PM »
We’ve played one game, Mings was carrying an injury, and all of a sudden he’s seen as no longer being a first choice CB and his transfer value is spiralling downwards?! I know as football fans we all crave information, but some of the over exaggerated crap (or some would argue as being “opinions”) I’ve been reading on here lately is getting ridiculous.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5273 on: August 10, 2022, 07:09:29 PM »
We’ve played one game, Mings was carrying an injury, and all of a sudden he’s seen as no longer being a first choice CB and his transfer value is spiralling downwards?! I know as football fans we all crave information, but some of the over exaggerated crap (or some would argue as being “opinions”) I’ve been reading on here lately is getting ridiculous.

The anger and hysteria on here can be way over the top (on the match thread especially) but in this case, I thinks it more to with the captaincy marlarkey than him being dropped.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #5274 on: August 10, 2022, 07:14:22 PM »

The anger and hysteria on here can be way over the top (on the match thread especially) but in this case, I thinks it more to with the captaincy marlarkey than him being dropped.

It was the “look me in the eye” comment that I think made it something more. Perhaps it was taken out of context but when a team has just lost in poor style to relegation favourites on top of a poor run of results last season then he has not exactly got a deep well of goodwill to draw on.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #5275 on: August 10, 2022, 07:40:40 PM »
there's two sides to this, we haven't heard either of them yet.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #5276 on: August 10, 2022, 09:13:53 PM »
Another dimension to this (lets say) unfortunate set of circumstances is the forthcoming World Cup. As things were shaping up, Mings had every chance to go into the first few months of this league season motivated to be at his absolute best, competing against any number of other potential England centre backs, such as Maguire, Stones, Coady, Dier, White, none of whom are exactly all that great, and others whose name I can't bring to mind, to make the World Cup squad. When picked for England, Mings has never let England down, or looked out of place, and his performances over these first few months of this season were always going to be critical to his ambitions to play in a World Cup finals. In such circumstances, one would have expected Mings to have wanted to stretch every sinew to show everyone 'the best version of himself.' As it is, by stripping him of the captaincy, dropping him from the starting 11, and then insinuating issues around Mings's character, Gerrard has well and truly fucked him over; ultimately to the team's/club's detriment, as well as the player's.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:17:03 PM by Flamingo Lane »

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #5277 on: August 10, 2022, 09:25:22 PM »
Another dimension to this (lets say) unfortunate set of circumstances is the forthcoming World Cup. As things were shaping up, Mings had every chance to go into the first few months of this league season motivated to be at his absolute best, competing against any number of other potential England centre backs, such as Maguire, Stones, Coady, Dier, White, none of whom are exactly all that great, and others whose name I can't bring to mind, to make the World Cup squad. When picked for England, Mings has never let England down, or looked out of place, and his performances over these first few months of this season were always going to be critical to his ambitions to play in a World Cup finals. In such circumstances, one would have expected Mings to have wanted to stretch every sinew to show everyone 'the best version of himself.' As it is, by stripping him of the captaincy, dropping him from the starting 11, and then insinuating issues around Mings's character, Gerrard has well and truly fucked him over; ultimately to the team's/club's detriment, as well as the player's.

Rightly or wrongly Mings was dropped from the England squad before any of this happened at the Villa, Southgate has prioritised 4 or 5 ahead of him. So i dont think Gerrard has fucked him over in terms of the world cup at all. If Mings comes back from injury, is up for it, he’ll be picked for Villa, he needs then play brilliantly for us to give Southgate a decision.

I really like Tyrone, but im in the everything since last Saturday has been way OTT, the criticism of Gerrard, the virtual writing off, of the season, threatening not to use a season ticket if Mings is binned off.
Its all gone a bit nuts after one game, i honestly am struggling to get it.

Offline KRS

« Reply #5278 on: August 10, 2022, 10:44:46 PM »

It was the “look me in the eye” comment that I think made it something more. Perhaps it was taken out of context but when a team has just lost in poor style to relegation favourites on top of a poor run of results last season then he has not exactly got a deep well of goodwill to draw on.
I do think the “look me in the eye” comment has been taken literally and out of context. It was just an anecdote and all SG means is that he wants TM to show him in training that he’s fit, focused, hungry and in good form. We have all berated TM for his regular mistakes and lapses of concentration, and we’ll all be better off with the best version of himself back in the team…there’s no need for any weird staring out contest.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5279 on: August 10, 2022, 10:59:11 PM »

I do think the “look me in the eye” comment has been taken literally and out of context. It was just an anecdote and all SG means is that he wants TM to show him in training that he’s fit, focused, hungry and in good form. We have all berated TM for his regular mistakes and lapses of concentration, and we’ll all be better off with the best version of himself back in the team…there’s no need for any weird staring out contest.

Please, no.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal