collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 886027 times)

Offline nordenvillain

Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #5250 on: August 10, 2022, 03:29:47 PM »
Rumours that West Ham are considering a bid for Mings....

We paid £20m for him and he'd barely played top flight football. He's had 3 seasons of experience and gained international recognition. I'd be asking for £50m.
You might be asking for £50m, but the reality is that Mings is now not a 1st choice CB and, as such, think that his value is lower now than it was only a couple of weeks ago. Plus West Ham pulled out of the deal to sign the midfielder that's now gone to Everton, for 2/3rds of what you're saying we should be asking for Mings, because of his personal terms. I'd be sorry to see Mings go, for all his apparent faults, we're only 1 injury away from a crisis at left sided CB if he goes. I don't see Hause as anywhere near Mings' ability or overall game.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #5251 on: August 10, 2022, 03:36:48 PM »
We shouldn't be asking anythng for Mings.  Until Carlos proves otherwise he's our best centre half.  If Carlos does prove to be as good as we hope then he's our second best centre half.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5252 on: August 10, 2022, 03:56:48 PM »
We'd regret letting him go, I'm sure of it.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #5253 on: August 10, 2022, 04:01:18 PM »
We'd regret letting him go, I'm sure of it.

I agree. You don’t improve a squad by having a 1 in 1 out policy.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #5254 on: August 10, 2022, 04:01:44 PM »
I would be gutted if we sold Mings. I don't care what they bid, just reject it.

This situation has really turned me off the manager.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #5255 on: August 10, 2022, 04:06:56 PM »
If we allow Gerrard to bounce Tyrone out of the door I shall not be using my season ticket much, if at all, in the upcoming season.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #5256 on: August 10, 2022, 04:19:47 PM »
If fit then i would play him by moving Carlos (although he hardly set the world alight - especially if you look at the analysis by Holy Trinity of his first header) into Konsa's position. If not fit then bring in Chambers for Konsa

Pretty sure Carlos is a left sided defender and has played there consistently. He’s been signed to replace Ming’s IMO.

Looked very uncomfortable on his left foot/side v Bournemouth. Tony Gale mentioned it a few times on commentary. To be honest Carlos had an awful game so best scratch any conclusions from it . He is probably an anomaly like John Terry though primarily right footed was most comfortable at LCB. I recall Terry playing RCB for England for one WC next to Matt Upson and he seemed like he was pissed he was so bad.

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #5257 on: August 10, 2022, 05:20:25 PM »
It is all so daft. Whether it truly reflects what is happening behind the scenes or not, Gerrard's decision to change the Captain a few days before the season, drop the previous one and then make so comments which were at best clumsily worded have created an atmosphere of negativity around the club. It is all a huge distraction and poor management, whatever the intention.

He should have made the announcement much earlier in the summer.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #5258 on: August 10, 2022, 05:21:06 PM »
If we allow Gerrard to bounce Tyrone out of the door I shall not be using my season ticket much, if at all, in the upcoming season.

Agreed, that guy has taken an unbelievable amount of unjustified flak from fans over the last few years (*mainly caused by the shortcomings of the team around him), yet has always remained the model pro.

Compare to his international performances, where he has barely put a foot wrong - I think we'd see a different player with PROPER midfield protection. If we manage to withstand bids this window, he'll be back in the team before you know it, as Gerrard should have been asked to empty his desk before the next window (*if our owners have anything about them!).

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #5259 on: August 10, 2022, 05:26:27 PM »
It is all so daft. Whether it truly reflects what is happening behind the scenes or not, Gerrard's decision to change the Captain a few days before the season, drop the previous one and then make so comments which were at best clumsily worded have created an atmosphere of negativity around the club. It is all a huge distraction and poor management, whatever the intention.

Yeah, its a weird one. Mings captained us throughout our pre-season in Australia, and a week later loses the armband and isn't even a vice-captain. However, Diego Carlos is appointed vice captain and we barely know the guy.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5260 on: August 10, 2022, 05:31:32 PM »

Yeah, its a weird one. Mings captained us throughout our pre-season in Australia, and a week later loses the armband and isn't even a vice-captain. However, Diego Carlos is appointed vice captain and we barely know the guy.

Yep. I haven't got a problem with him dropping Mings, he's the manager and it's his call. Giving Carlos one of the vice captaincies over him though is just a shit thing to do.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #5261 on: August 10, 2022, 05:41:11 PM »
You get the impression that for Gerrard man management isn’t high on his list of priorities. He gives out a vibe of “I’m the boss and tough if you don’t like it”. That’s fine if you’re getting results with your approach but breeds resentment when you don’t.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #5262 on: August 10, 2022, 05:48:08 PM »
I wonder if he has that approach to old team mates?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #5263 on: August 10, 2022, 05:48:28 PM »
Agree Chris and that kind of authority is earned not demanded.  The bedrock of a manager's authority is his record as a manager, not as a player.

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #5264 on: August 10, 2022, 06:06:30 PM »

I think it stupid we have 1 x Captain, 1 x Club Captain and 2 x Vice Captain.  Why so many.  And also no of them seem to be leaders.

I think Smith had a "Players Committee", which were "senior" players  - which I kind of get, but having nearly half a team as some sort of captain seems strange

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal