collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:25:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Steve kirk
[May 22, 2024, 10:35:14 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Season Tickets by London Villan
[May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 910312 times)

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #4665 on: February 11, 2022, 05:37:02 AM »
Here’s a fact for you.

Tyrone Mings has committed more errors leading to opposition goals than any other outfield player in the past 3 Premier League seasons.
I think that pretty much settles the argument.

No it doesn’t. What a bullshit stat.
Firstly - that title is always going to be held by a central defender because they are the ones whose job is to be in the position to make that mistake.
Secondly, if this is across the whole division (the sentence doesn’t actually make that clear as it seats premier league seasons not teams), then it also points to what players around him are doing. Maybe we can look at how often he is left in a position to NEED to clear a ball, or not have any options to clear a ball. Errors don’t happen in isolation. We’ve had a worryingly leaky defensive midfield for 3 seasons, & full backs trying to be wingbacks & not always managing it, & a defensive partner who seems to manage to look amazing alongside Tyrone Mings, but strangely inept when he’s not there.

Applause!

Well said Amfy!

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4666 on: February 11, 2022, 06:32:00 AM »
A bullshit stat?
Pretty clear to me but hey ho.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #4667 on: February 11, 2022, 06:38:30 AM »
Here’s a fact for you.

Tyrone Mings has committed more errors leading to opposition goals than any other outfield player in the past 3 Premier League seasons.

Firstly - that title is always going to be held by a central defender because they are the ones whose job is to be in the position to make that mistake.
Secondly, if this is across the whole division (the sentence doesn’t actually make that clear as it seats premier league seasons not teams), then it also points to what players around him are doing. Maybe we can look at how often he is left in a position to NEED to clear a ball, or not have any options to clear a ball. Errors don’t happen in isolation. We’ve had a worryingly leaky defensive midfield for 3 seasons, & full backs trying to be wingbacks & not always managing it, & a defensive partner who seems to manage to look amazing alongside Tyrone Mings, but strangely inept when he’s not there.

Applause!

Very well said Amfy.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #4668 on: February 11, 2022, 07:29:55 AM »
Who plays in front of Emi for the Argentinian national team? They seem to have a solid defence, no? Sign them up!

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #4669 on: February 11, 2022, 08:13:57 AM »
Pick up good fee for him and move him on .He's not good enough for the level Villa wish to play at.

What level, Champions League? Maybe not against the top teams but for me he’s good enough to help us get there. If you take the villa tinted glasses off that same label could be put on quite a few others.

If the scouts can find a left footed centre half to consistently compete the competition would be good for him.

Of course he has his ups and downs but he’s a leader, he’s vocal, he organises, it’s often more chaotic when he’s not there and those qualities are not shown by any other current players, with the possible exception of Emi, which for me is a real feather in Tyrone’s cap. By all means competition is good but as has been said a better player would cost a lot and hard to find. Is Tarkowski better, I don’t know but he was being valued at £40m a few seasons back.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4670 on: February 11, 2022, 08:41:43 AM »
I think he’s a good player - like Konsa he had a horror show the other night. But I do think in general he takes more risks, in a positive sense which help our overall game, which in turn leave him more exposed.

I think the issue is more about the lack of screening in front of him - if players are breaking through the centre and out wide it makes it very difficult for centre-backs.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #4671 on: February 11, 2022, 08:49:21 AM »
Mings is the best we have until the summer, then I expect Gerrard will be looking for an upgrade, and Mings will leave

If we want to compete to get into the top 6 we need to improve our defence

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #4672 on: February 11, 2022, 08:51:50 AM »
I think he’s a good player - like Konsa he had a horror show the other night. But I do think in general he takes more risks, in a positive sense which help our overall game, which in turn leave him more exposed.

I think the issue is more about the lack of screening in front of him - if players are breaking through the centre and out wide it makes it very difficult for centre-backs.

Totally agree.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4673 on: February 11, 2022, 08:55:53 AM »
Mings is the best we have until the summer, then I expect Gerrard will be looking for an upgrade, and Mings will leave
If we want to compete to get into the top 6 we need to improve our defence
I don't think Mings will leave until we have a decent DMF, when a proper evaluation of our defence can take place.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #4674 on: February 11, 2022, 08:56:21 AM »
Talking to a couple of Spurs fans and they reckon in the couple of games that Bentancur has come on as sub for them that he looks class

Hopefully he will soon have a dip in form!!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4675 on: February 11, 2022, 09:01:08 AM »
Here’s a fact for you.

Applause!

Well said Amfy!

Errors do happen in isolation with Mings around though, that's the point. He could have booted that ball 50 yards down the pitch, instead he passed it out 6 foot to the nearest Leeds player. If somebody as error prone as Mings played for the likes of Leeds or Everton, would we be looking to sign him? I think not.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #4676 on: February 11, 2022, 09:05:30 AM »
I think error free defenders are as rare as hens teeth and you're probably better off addressing why Tyrone's in a position that he can't afford the odd lapse. Buying Bissouma for £50m - and hopefully he won't cost that in the summer - would be far cheaper than a Mings upgrade, more achievable, and most likely more effective.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4677 on: February 11, 2022, 09:08:03 AM »
I saw watching MOTD the other night John Stones slip on his arse under no pressure and put the Brentford lad clean through, not for the first time.

It didn't lead to a goal because Brentford are shit, but it there's a player in front of Mings in the England team, cost twice as much, and has had most of his career pockmarked with high profile mistakes. Citeh have spent a fortune trying to find more reliable centre halves, it's not easy because the way teams plays asks a lot more from these players than we were all bought up to expect.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4678 on: February 11, 2022, 09:08:26 AM »
They started singing Tyrone Mings is Fucking Shit when he passed the ball straight out for a throw when under no pressure at all. He then fucked up for the first goal. Then the second goal. Then the third goal.

No, he really didn't.

The 1st he was on his own dealing with 2 of their players. The 2nd was a sandwich that Digne inadvertently caused. Even James said the ball just landed on his head and went in. The third was a scuffed clearance under pressure. He prevented the first one going in, and just didn't get enough on it (or the different direction).

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4679 on: February 11, 2022, 09:09:12 AM »
If we'd had that result with Smith in charge he'd have been blamed for it for not organising us better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal