collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by algy
[Today at 09:17:30 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:10:09 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:03:36 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:59:44 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by Clampy
[Today at 08:56:11 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:54:07 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by manic-road
[Today at 08:47:07 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 08:29:45 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 887322 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Tyrone Mings (confirmed as awesome)
« Reply #1410 on: June 25, 2019, 07:13:14 PM »
The matching bid thing is a bit misleading, as there is no obligation on Bournemouth to accept ANY bid.  I suspect we asked for right-to-buy clause, which was rejected. Then we asked for a deal that meant we get first refusal if they DID choose to sell.

The simple fact is Bournemouth don't have to sell him to us, or anyone - but it certainly helps them to get a bidding war going (though I've no idea who the other bidders would be at this stage?). 

There was a rumour a couple of weeks ago that Ake was being looked at by Spurs - I hope the Mings delay isn't related to Bournemouth waiting to see how that plays out...

In practice does a matching clause make any difference to anything at all?

If we didn’t have it we could still match any offer and the club could still say yes or no. If there is more than one offer then presumably the player decides.

I can’t see how any of that works differently with or without this clause.

That's why I've always hoped there was something more it that we weren't aware of, I thought maybe a cut off date after which we could have him for an agreed fee or similar, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1411 on: June 25, 2019, 07:23:53 PM »
From this thread, spurs are after Ake. Therefore they could bid £20m for Mings, forcing us to match it, adding say £5m to his value.  They use that pretend bid to get a 2.5m discount off Ake.

I’m not saying that is what is happening but it’s easy to see why it is taking a while.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1412 on: June 25, 2019, 07:44:54 PM »
In that case, it's probably best wait until the last possible day of the window.  Mings plays the waiting game too and refuses to go anywhere other than Villa.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1413 on: June 25, 2019, 08:04:09 PM »
In that case, it's probably best wait until the last possible day of the window.  Mings plays the waiting game too and refuses to go anywhere other than Villa.

Not ideal, but I can see that being the case.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #1414 on: June 25, 2019, 08:07:36 PM »
The matching bid thing is a bit misleading, as there is no obligation on Bournemouth to accept ANY bid.  I suspect we asked for right-to-buy clause, which was rejected. Then we asked for a deal that meant we get first refusal if they DID choose to sell.

The simple fact is Bournemouth don't have to sell him to us, or anyone - but it certainly helps them to get a bidding war going (though I've no idea who the other bidders would be at this stage?). 

There was a rumour a couple of weeks ago that Ake was being looked at by Spurs - I hope the Mings delay isn't related to Bournemouth waiting to see how that plays out...

In practice does a matching clause make any difference to anything at all?

If we didn’t have it we could still match any offer and the club could still say yes or no. If there is more than one offer then presumably the player decides.

I can’t see how any of that works differently with or without this clause.

It means they have to inform you of it if they accept it. Then you can make an identical bid which also must be accepted and you get first dibs on talking to the player.

Cheers. Funny one though isn't it - a kind of Schrodinger's option to buy.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1415 on: June 25, 2019, 08:39:54 PM »
Benefits and limits of matching right seem pretty clear to me

When the wesley signing broke out if the blue, I bet Newcastle were gutted. A matching right would stop that being sprung on you

But worth no more than that

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1416 on: June 25, 2019, 09:02:44 PM »
Benefits and limits of matching right seem pretty clear to me

When the wesley signing broke out if the blue, I bet Newcastle were gutted. A matching right would stop that being sprung on you

But worth no more than that

That is about the size of it. We dont want to sell at £6m so will not. We accept £10m from Brighton then we tell you. You are willing to pay ten, have a natter with him first. But if he decides on Brighton, you can do sod all.

I still remain confident he will be an officially anointed Villa man over the next couple of weeks.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1417 on: June 25, 2019, 09:17:15 PM »
Off course he will. His Twitter profile still has him in a Villa kit weeks after the final. There is only club he wants to play for.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #1418 on: June 26, 2019, 12:28:36 AM »
From this thread, spurs are after Ake. Therefore they could bid £20m for Mings, forcing us to match it, adding say £5m to his value.  They use that pretend bid to get a 2.5m discount off Ake.

I’m not saying that is what is happening but it’s easy to see why it is taking a while.

Which would fall foul of the Competition Act 1998. And if I remember properly fines are up to 10% of turnover. They’d be pretty dumb to try that but then again we are talking football clubs.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1419 on: June 26, 2019, 08:28:21 PM »
Off course he will. His Twitter profile still has him in a Villa kit weeks after the final. There is only club he wants to play for.

I wish the Villa hierarchy would recognise that.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #1420 on: June 26, 2019, 08:32:30 PM »

I wish the Villa hierarchy would recognise that.

You don’t think they know that? We criticized the club in years past for being stupid in player acquisition. Paying ridiculous transfer sums, agents fees and wages. Now despite our new found wealth we are being careful and more astute. You can’t have it both ways. We need players, but we also need to let the club and the professionals in charge do that. I don’t want us being fucked over by any club this summer. We’ve had plenty of that in the past and it nearly led us being wound up.

Offline kieron

« Reply #1421 on: June 26, 2019, 08:57:15 PM »
His Twitter profile still has him in a Villa kit weeks after the final.

Not any more. Read into that what you will....

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #1422 on: June 26, 2019, 09:08:51 PM »

😭

It’s his academy now. Or he wants to wear the new kit and has been told he can’t yet. It would be brilliant if the kit launch included him getting on a train in Bournemouth to Birmingham in full new Villa attire

Offline mike

« Reply #1423 on: June 26, 2019, 10:03:44 PM »

Don't like the look of that...

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #1424 on: June 26, 2019, 10:20:19 PM »

Don't like the look of that...

It means nothing

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal