collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread  (Read 823094 times)

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
Re: The International Cricket Thread
« Reply #5205 on: June 11, 2021, 06:25:39 PM »
New Zealand are putting our batting performance into sharp focus. Again I know Stokes and Buttler aren’t there, but we look bloody ordinary with the bat.

I won’t count Lawrence in this, because he hasn’t played enough. But Sibley, Crawley, Burns, and Pope have all played a good number of Tests now. The least is Crawley with 13 and they all average about 30. There’s no great mystery as to why we’re struggling when 4 of your top 6 over a period of time average 30 odd.

Obviously Burns is in good nick at the moment and the others are young, but bloody hell the returns need to start appearing fast.

Agreed again. They showed the whole XI's stats earlier and, Root aside, it was shocking.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5206 on: June 11, 2021, 06:27:30 PM »
Also not picking a spinner doesn’t work.

Online Rory

« Reply #5207 on: June 11, 2021, 06:31:03 PM »
Also not picking a spinner doesn’t work.

As that delivery from Lawrence shows. Nice bit of turn for a second day pitch.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #5208 on: June 11, 2021, 06:49:04 PM »
I agree with the comments about the batsmen but part of me wonders who we replace them with?

I’d stick with this line up with added Stokes, Buttler, Moeen and Bairstow to select from for the rest of this year including the Ashes. Chopping and changing the line up doesn’t help.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #5209 on: June 11, 2021, 08:24:22 PM »
Regulation catch dropped by Root hasn't helped at all, plus that 'catch' by Broad should've stood; how dumb that technology didn’t intervene.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #5210 on: June 11, 2021, 08:55:57 PM »
Regulation catch dropped by Root hasn't helped at all, plus that 'catch' by Broad should've stood; how dumb that technology didn’t intervene.
I might be late to this conversation but if you mean the catch by Crawley off Broad my view from the ground and as an ex-player (albeit of modest standard) was that it was a clean catch and should have been given. That said - as soon as it’s referred and viewed on a 2D image it’s never going to be given. The only comfort is the old adage that there are enough of these to even themselves out.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #5211 on: June 11, 2021, 09:32:15 PM »
The third ump was quite definite in his statement that the Crawley ball hit the ground.

Watching the replays, I’m not definite, but still think that it did hit the ground.

They need to do away with the soft signal and just allow the third IMO to make a yes/no decision.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #5212 on: June 11, 2021, 10:23:51 PM »
I agree with the comments about the batsmen but part of me wonders who we replace them with?

I’d stick with this line up with added Stokes, Buttler, Moeen and Bairstow to select from for the rest of this year including the Ashes. Chopping and changing the line up doesn’t help.

I think it’s tricky, but at the moment the performance is way below par. I get the blooding of young players, but there’s a risk that you look too much towards the future, fail in the present and that future never materialises. Crawley has talent, but I think he needs a break. Pope is very talented, but he needs to learn to gut out runs in tricky situations.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #5213 on: June 11, 2021, 10:48:53 PM »
But putting aside our shortfalls how bloody brilliant are New Zealand? 6 changes, including arguably their finest ever batsman, and still massively impressive. The depth they’ve developed from a fairly small pool is remarkable and the quality in the team is excellent.

Online JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #5214 on: June 12, 2021, 08:30:16 AM »
But putting aside our shortfalls how bloody brilliant are New Zealand? 6 changes, including arguably their finest ever batsman, and still massively impressive. The depth they’ve developed from a fairly small pool is remarkable and the quality in the team is excellent.

NZ are a mighty fine team now and have the best ever pool of players they have ever had, who are all adaptable to different forms of the game. Kudos to their coaching teams.
I regularly go to see them in warm up games when the national squads get together as their International center is based here in Lincoln. The women's team are currently here.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #5215 on: June 12, 2021, 11:52:56 AM »
Another dropped catch, albeit difficult. Also, this wicketkeeper Bracey looks poor.

Online Rory

« Reply #5216 on: June 12, 2021, 12:04:49 PM »
Also, this wicketkeeper Bracey looks poor.

Sorry to say, but if this were football, he'd be subbed off. Really struggling.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #5217 on: June 12, 2021, 12:05:39 PM »
Another dropped catch, albeit difficult. Also, this wicketkeeper Bracey looks poor.

Well that’s just it he’s not a bloody wicketkeeper. He does keep wicket a bit, but there’s a difference. It’s a poor and damaging selection for him.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #5218 on: June 12, 2021, 12:07:03 PM »
This series hasn’t been a ringing endorsement for the new selection process. To make the same mistake twice in not selecting a spinner is a big error.

Online Rory

« Reply #5219 on: June 12, 2021, 12:09:38 PM »

Well that’s just it he’s not a bloody wicketkeeper. He does keep wicket a bit, but there’s a difference. It’s a poor and damaging selection for him.

Took that one well. If he'd put that down, you'd really begin to worry about the psychological damage.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal