collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread  (Read 821045 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: The International Cricket Thread 2019
« Reply #3705 on: January 07, 2020, 05:17:48 PM »
After a bit of deliberation I went along today and so glad that I did.  The spell Ben Stokes bowled at the end to win us the game was top quality and he really is a match winner.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3706 on: January 07, 2020, 05:37:33 PM »
Excellent test match this, and a reason why we should not go to 4 day tests.
Absolutely

Offline olaftab

« Reply #3707 on: January 07, 2020, 05:39:21 PM »
Great day here at Newlands today. We had given up hope till de Kock had a rush of blood and it was mayhem after that.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3708 on: January 07, 2020, 09:16:30 PM »
Brilliant stuff in the end.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #3709 on: January 07, 2020, 09:53:09 PM »
Fantastic test match.  Well done England, brilliant all round performance.

Offline Andy Poole

« Reply #3710 on: January 08, 2020, 06:05:59 AM »
5 of the best days of cricket I've been lucky enough to witness. The Barmies aren't popular in some quarters but I can tell you we had a massive influence in the final 2 sessions. A whole hour of Joe Roots Barmy Army!
That is now the 2 most iconic test grounds ticked off my list.
Roll on India in 2021.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3711 on: January 08, 2020, 09:57:51 AM »
Looks like you had an amazing time Andy.  Git!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3712 on: January 08, 2020, 10:23:12 AM »
Anyone still want four day tests?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #3713 on: January 08, 2020, 11:01:03 AM »
Going forward, I think the basis of a decent side is beginning to come together.  Just a few observations :

Hopefully Dom Sibley will take a lot of confidence from his maiden century and can go on to form a good partnership with Burns at the top of the order. 

I still think Ben Foakes is the best keeper we have in the test format and should be batting at seven in the test team

In away tests on flat pitches I'm not sure the likes of Sam Curran are the best options.  I liked the look of Nortje that bowled for them and I think we need someone like that who can bowl that kind of pace to compliment Broad and Anderson.  We have them in Archer and Wood, and I would like to see us perhaps sacrifice some batting to include one of them.

Bess did a decent holding job, but didn't look too threatening.  Hopefully Moeen Ali can recover form and confidence, as he would balance the side well batting at 8.  It will be a bit controversial seeing as he has already played some tests for South Africa, but talk out here is that Simon Harmer could be English qualified soon, so could be selected.  He has been one of, if not the best spinners
on the county circuit for a few seasons, but I'm not sure how comfortably that would sit really.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #3714 on: January 08, 2020, 11:20:22 AM »
5 of the best days of cricket I've been lucky enough to witness. The Barmies aren't popular in some quarters but I can tell you we had a massive influence in the final 2 sessions. A whole hour of Joe Roots Barmy Army!
That is now the 2 most iconic test grounds ticked off my list.
Roll on India in 2021.
Must have been within touching distance of you in block H. I don’t particularly like some BA elements but no one can deny the impact of fans on this win. Are you going to PE as well?

Offline Andy Poole

« Reply #3715 on: January 08, 2020, 11:35:18 AM »
I fly home on Friday unfortunately. I wish I'd known you were there. We were in block H for all 5 days. Just got back from seeing the Penguins at Boulders Bay. We are at the Africa cafe tonight. Probably be bimbling around the V&A tomorrow as we have a very early flight on Friday morning.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #3716 on: January 08, 2020, 11:35:34 AM »
Going forward, I think the basis of a decent side is beginning to come together.  Just a few observations :

Hopefully Dom Sibley will take a lot of confidence from his maiden century and can go on to form a good partnership with Burns at the top of the order. 

I still think Ben Foakes is the best keeper we have in the test format and should be batting at seven in the test team

In away tests on flat pitches I'm not sure the likes of Sam Curran are the best options.  I liked the look of Nortje that bowled for them and I think we need someone like that who can bowl that kind of pace to compliment Broad and Anderson.  We have them in Archer and Wood, and I would like to see us perhaps sacrifice some batting to include one of them.

Bess did a decent holding job, but didn't look too threatening.  Hopefully Moeen Ali can recover form and confidence, as he would balance the side well batting at 8.  It will be a bit controversial seeing as he has already played some tests for South Africa, but talk out here is that Simon Harmer could be English qualified soon, so could be selected.  He has been one of, if not the best spinners
on the county circuit for a few seasons, but I'm not sure how comfortably that would sit really.

You make some interesting points Tom, but one swallow doesn’t make a summer. The issues are still there and our batting is still wafer thin. Hopefully Sibley will push on, but he was found wanting in New Zealand. Both Keaton Jennings and Adam Lyth have scored test centuries so it remains to be seen if Sibley can make the openers spot his own.

The biggest challenge facing the side over the next few years has to be replacing Broad and Anderson. Those two have nearly 1,100 test wickets between them. Archer doesn’t seem to have the appetite for test cricket, Wood is injury prone as are some of the others who are breaking through like Stone and Pat Brown Who struggle with stress fractures.

Sam Curran would be an automatic selection for me, he has something special and the ability to make things happen. He’s still learning and is only 21, there’s a huge talent there.

Simon Harmer is an option as spinner and he’s just extended his deal at Essex. I’m unconcerned by his background and he’s not the first Saffer to make that switch. I think we are well covered in the spin bowling department although as yet none are as consistent as Swann. Bess bowled well at Newlands and tied down his end, thus allowing Root to rotate the quicks.

Things look marginally better than after the Boxing Day test, just like the Villa after the win at Burnley, but let’s not get too excited.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #3717 on: January 08, 2020, 05:16:01 PM »
I fly home on Friday unfortunately. I wish I'd known you were there. We were in block H for all 5 days. Just got back from seeing the Penguins at Boulders Bay. We are at the Africa cafe tonight. Probably be bimbling around the V&A tomorrow as we have a very early flight on Friday morning.
Just missed you than as we have set off in the garden route towards PE. Shark cage at Gansbaai tomorrow. Enjoy your stay.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #3718 on: January 08, 2020, 05:43:33 PM »
Anderson sadly out of the series with a rib injury.

Offline Andy Poole

« Reply #3719 on: January 08, 2020, 07:44:04 PM »
Just missed you than as we have set off in the garden route towards PE. Shark cage at Gansbaai tomorrow. Enjoy your stay.

Have a great time! Our next one will probably be India in 2021.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal