collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Norwich City vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 20854 times)

Offline AlexAlexCropley

Re: Norwich City vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2018, 01:14:09 PM »
As I said in the match thread I don't buy the line that Nyland was at fault for the first. Rhodes had a free header on the edge of the 6 yard box, that's down to the marker not the keeper. Nyland should've stayed on his line or come out and clattered Rhodes so his decision making was poor but the goal is on Hutton for falling asleep.

I blame Hutton for the 2nd as well, left the winger with acres to receive the ball in and then was a bit half-arsed in trying to get over and stop the cross, from there Chester needed to do better but it was far too easy to get round us and get the cross in and you're always at risk if you let teams do that.

Nyland isn't great but it's not fair to blame him when the errors are happening in front of him. Both of our fullbacks are a liability right now and replacing them should be the priority for the first of January (or before if we're willing to give Bree and/or the kids a go).
Agreed.Hutton as well as being bereft of football talent,must have personally cost us more goals than any other player.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2018, 01:20:32 PM »
I've always liked Hutton and Adomah but it is now time to say farewell, they won't cut it under Smith.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2018, 01:21:33 PM »
Nyland had plenty of time to go for that cross. The fact he went for it too slowly and in the wrong place is absolutely down to him. Regardless of how poor anyone else was, as a keeper you just need to deal with it.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #183 on: October 24, 2018, 01:27:06 PM »
I thought first half our work without the ball was excellent and you could see the pattern emerging of the 2 and 3 lines in midfield quickly turned into a 5. Nice to see both teams looking to play football rather than looking for dead balls to start their attacks.
1-0 at half time I feel was justified and but for a goal post could have been 2-0

The injuries, substitutions and equaliser all in the space of 5 mins was without doubt a pivotal point and we never really recovered.

Hutton - for all his grit and fan loyalty etc - is an awful defender - time and again he leaves acres of space

Nyland - thought he had done ok up to first goal and typically weak as piss in his attempt for the ball

Grealish - spends all his time trying to draw the foul rather than keeping a move going - starting to get on my tits

Hourihane - no goals = no impact. Apart from the corner his involvement was non existent

Whelan - average but did his job - just too slowly

Taylor - looks terrified whenever ball comes to him - he also looks knackered from the start

Chester - piss poor for the 2nd

Tuanzabe - I thought was excellent

I think the reason for keeping Elmo and Albert in there is their work without the ball - it was evident on Saturday that with Kodjia and Bolasi they just do not have the awareness or discipline (yet) to do this work so it would leave our midfield and full backs very exposed

Early days but I still like what I am seeing - if not being able to have the personnel to play to it yet

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #184 on: October 24, 2018, 01:27:33 PM »
Hutton was the wrong side of Rhodes end of.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #185 on: October 24, 2018, 01:33:59 PM »
Hogan touched the ball the grand total of four times.  Absolutely hopeless.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #186 on: October 24, 2018, 01:36:08 PM »
I take it he won’t be getting your vote for player of the season. :)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #187 on: October 24, 2018, 01:42:21 PM »
Apparently Gerd Muller only used to touch the ball a couple of times during a match....resulting in goals😊

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #188 on: October 24, 2018, 01:42:45 PM »

Yes, but it's the quality of those touches that you have to consider. I'm quite sure the Norwich defenders thought they were up against the championship version of Mbappe for those fleeting seconds.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »
Well let’s not worry about the actual result. We were not good enough for anything better from this match. More concern is players Smith and Co have to choose from till January. I am hoping till then we can stay in touch with play off places because that’s the best we will do after where Bruce left us.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #190 on: October 24, 2018, 01:49:28 PM »
Hutton was the wrong side of Rhodes end of.

Yep, Nyland could, and should, have done better but letting you man get 2ft clear in front of you in that position isn't good enough.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2018, 05:38:56 PM »
Annoyed about the usual meltdown second half but some positive signs. After Fridays game they've got a whole week to prepare for Bolton so I would expect to see a bit more progress there. Get McGinn back with Thor for Friday and don't bother with Hogan. If Bolasie has recovered from his verbals then stick him on the bench.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2018, 06:15:07 PM »
Hutton’s position for the second was criminal.

Tuanzebe went walkabout too. No idea where but he should have been where Chester eventually ended up.

Chester takes the majority of the blame though, he got himself in a good position at the front post and inexplicably missed the ball. Fluke from Rhodes to be honest.

For the first, Hutton takes majority of blame I'd argue over Nyland, 60/40 maybe. Header was probably going in even if Nyland stayed on line. Huttons positioning was dreadful.

It's amazing, four of our back five took a share of the blame for both goals last night and the odd man out is the dreadful Neil Taylor.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2018, 07:24:28 PM »
Hutton’s position for the second was criminal.

Tuanzebe went walkabout too. No idea where but he should have been where Chester eventually ended up.

Chester takes the majority of the blame though, he got himself in a good position at the front post and inexplicably missed the ball. Fluke from Rhodes to be honest.

For the first, Hutton takes majority of blame I'd argue over Nyland, 60/40 maybe. Header was probably going in even if Nyland stayed on line. Huttons positioning was dreadful.

It's amazing, four of our back five took a share of the blame for both goals last night and the odd man out is the dreadful Neil Taylor.

Taylor was fine in defence, it was his inability t kick a moving ball that was his problem.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2018, 07:39:29 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal