collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522594 times)

Online boozey182

• GM : PCM
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14670 on: October 05, 2021, 02:05:10 PM »
We shouldn't just rely on one system. Now that we have an improved squad we should try to vary the formation and keep the opposition guessing. 352 works well providing the wing backs can get forward and deliver accurate crosses, if they don't do that then it becomes a defensive formation which is fine if you are trying to shut out the opposition, but offers little in the way of attacking options. I'd like to see more variety from Dean from now on. Don't just abandon 352, but use it sparingly.

I agree. I think keeping the same team and formation because it worked well in the previous match is old fashioned thinking. We need to approach each match individually.

I absolutely agree with this, but at the same time it puts a lot more pressure on Dean.

If he's changing the system regularly to outwit the opposing manager, then when it goes wrong, he is going to take a lot more flak. The fans and media are already a lot more reactionary these days, but by tinkering with the tactics I think he is inviting a lot more pressure on himself than if we had one setup, and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't - I think defeats are much more easily written off as 'one of those days' when you play the same system every week and it often works.

Having said that, I am delighted to have a manager that is prepared, and confident enough, to put themselves in the firing line like this. Of course, when it goes well he gets plenty of credit, but I don't think that is what drives him - he just wants to become the best he can be, and so is willing to change and adapt. He is the polar opposite of our previous manager.

Personally, against most teams in the league, I would be tempted to play a similar lineup to Risso's. I'm sure that was the initial plan for the season, with Ings being bought in as a (pretty expensive) Plan B - that signing in itself points to the fact that we are taking adaptability seriously this year. We should save the 3-5-2 for games that suit it - Man United away certainly worked, and it seems strange to point to a 3-0 defeat as evidence, but we certainly looked alright against Chelsea as well - I understand why Dean went with it against Spurs, especially without Bailey, but it didn't work so he needs to take responsibility for that (and he will). We'll need a different plan for the teams like Burnley, and another one for the teams like West Ham and Leeds - teams we struggled against last year.

I think this is the position we're at - we are a decent team, and have a pretty deep squad now - where we can improve on last year is by becoming a bit more difficult and unpredictable to play against. If Dean gets it right more often than he doesn't, we'll have a great season. If he doesn't, we may be looking for a new manager next summer - I really hope we aren't.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #14671 on: October 06, 2021, 11:35:46 AM »
I imagine he looked at the games between the international breaks as a block of games where he could have a similar set-up and shape where everyone knew their jobs. It worked well in 2 of them and I can understand him keeping it the same for the third. If he had changed things and it hadn't worked, everyone would have been asking why he changed things. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #14672 on: October 06, 2021, 12:27:48 PM »
I'm not a fan of three centre backs either. It only worked against Everton when Bailey came on and provided some width, but you're not going to play him as a wing back for 90 minutes every week. It worked against Man U because all three defenders played well and we nicked a goal at the end, despite Ings and Bailey not really having any chances. It most certainly didn't work yesterday. I want to see a proper 4-3-3 please, along the lines of:

Martinez
Cash Konsa Mings Targett
McGinn Ramsey Luiz
Traore or Buendia Watkins Bailey

Ings and Watkins isn't working and I don't believe in shoehorning players in just because.
This is exactly where I'm at.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #14673 on: October 10, 2021, 07:30:59 AM »
Playing Watkins and Ings together is just not working, resulting in both of them under-performing so far.

Time for a tactical re-think?

Offline ez

« Reply #14674 on: October 10, 2021, 03:13:27 PM »
Ings is back up for Watkins not a strike partner. Smith should not be scared to play just one of them.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #14675 on: October 10, 2021, 03:41:11 PM »
Ings is back up for Watkins not a strike partner. Smith should not be scared to play just one of them.

Do we know what Ings was told in negotiations?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #14676 on: October 10, 2021, 04:01:25 PM »

Do we know what Ings was told in negotiations?

The Villa want you. Sign and be grateful.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14677 on: October 11, 2021, 03:17:09 AM »
This is good:

Offline sid1964

« Reply #14678 on: October 11, 2021, 06:35:39 AM »
On a recent Villa podcast, the presenters said that Dean will be signing a new contract in the next few weeks

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #14679 on: October 11, 2021, 11:57:21 AM »
This is good:

Thanks - a good watch / listen.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #14680 on: October 11, 2021, 01:34:36 PM »
Playing Watkins and Ings together is just not working, resulting in both of them under-performing so far.

Time for a tactical re-think?

Guess that's what international breaks are for. Would have been better for us if Watkins hadn't been picked this time, his form hardly warranted it either.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #14681 on: October 11, 2021, 02:13:11 PM »
Thought that was excellent. What a top bloke Dean Smith is

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #14682 on: October 11, 2021, 04:44:13 PM »

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #14683 on: October 12, 2021, 04:45:14 PM »
This is good:

It really is. If he can blend the summer signings into a team that’s greater than the sum of its parts, and play the sort of football that raises comparisons with 76/7 that we played pre-Christmas (where it looked like the team were playing for the sheer joy of it) he can become a legend.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #14684 on: October 13, 2021, 11:05:38 AM »
It looks like he has gone with the new 3 5 2 to shoehorn Tunzabe and Ings.
I think this is a mistake.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal