collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by Baldy
[Today at 08:02:49 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by KNVillan
[Today at 07:58:57 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Nev
[Today at 07:50:45 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Mister E
[Today at 07:49:10 AM]

Liverpool by johnc
[Today at 07:48:11 AM]

MOTD by ChicagoLion
[Today at 07:34:31 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:52:31 AM]

Kaine Kesler Hayden by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:49:43 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1539876 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #13560 on: June 04, 2021, 01:18:25 PM »
“We have now got the youngest average age group on the longest-term contracts in the Premier League." That stood out to me.

Good. But in 2009 we had Milner with three years left on his deal and he was about 23 I think, Young still had 3 years left and 24, had just signed Downing who was 25 on a four year deal and Gabby was still decent in those times and think he was still only 22 at start of that season despite being around for a fair while at that point.

As we know they were all off like a shot once they felt we weren't progressing.

We've got a very good base to build from now so this is where the pressure ramps up as likes of Jack, Emi now he's Argentina number one and Luiz who plays every game for Brazil now won't hang around for next 5 years finishing 10th or 11th.

Feels like next season we need to be finishing at least 8th I think which won't be easy (I think as it stands we have a good chance of finishing above Spurs but that becomes very very difficult again if they get in Conte and convince Kane to stay for one more season).

7th should be ambitious target for next season I think, some will turn their noses up at it but I think with some of the talented youngsters we have emerging then europa conference league will be terrific experience for some of them and a good chance to win a european trophy so we can mix and match until we get to the knock outs.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13561 on: June 04, 2021, 01:32:12 PM »
I don't think 7th would be enough to keep Jack or Emi. That said, if they go it will be for huge money so we may just have to live with it and reinvest wisely. Spurs lost plenty of vital players  (Berbatov, Bale, Modric etc) in the decade that took them into the 'Big Six'(vomit) and they've largely stayed in and around the the correct end of the league.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #13562 on: June 04, 2021, 01:35:16 PM »
Anywhere in the top ten and the bloody FA Cup would more than suffice.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #13563 on: June 04, 2021, 02:03:11 PM »
I don't think 7th would be enough to keep Jack or Emi. That said, if they go it will be for huge money so we may just have to live with it and reinvest wisely. Spurs lost plenty of vital players  (Berbatov, Bale, Modric etc) in the decade that took them into the 'Big Six'(vomit) and they've largely stayed in and around the the correct end of the league.

I think next step that will keep Jack sweet is playing in european competition of some description. And then winning something. That's more realistic than playing CL football anytime soon which becomes a big issue if he's only got two years left on his deal.

We lost all the players mentioned above (and Barry) for that reason.

Pretty much everything would have to go right for serious challenge for top 4 next season e.g. basically all our key players never getting injured and just too much for us currently.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #13564 on: June 04, 2021, 02:04:06 PM »
I do want to see us have a proper go at both cup competitions next season.  Still think we got stitched up last season over the Liverpool tie in the FA Cup.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #13565 on: June 04, 2021, 02:31:20 PM »
I do want to see us have a proper go at both cup competitions next season.  Still think we got stitched up last season over the Liverpool tie in the FA Cup.

Absolutely, we did the honourable thing, rather than bitch and moan and get the game called off but it's soon forgotten and Leicester's name is on the Cup.
Rather like shithousing during games, we need to stop being nice and get everyone to hate us 'cos we're winning.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #13566 on: June 04, 2021, 02:47:20 PM »
It's noteworthy that Pep has still taken the League Cup seriously. I appreciate it's not a like-for-like comparison because of how deep their squad is but he's also not throwing unproven kids in for experience. We need to get a balance between squad rotation and taking competitions seriously. If you look at the side we played against Stoke, the likes of Nakamba and El-Ghazi were looked down upon by us but they've gone on to prove themselves as worthy squad players which I think will help in those competitions.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #13567 on: June 04, 2021, 05:06:51 PM »
I agree.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #13568 on: June 04, 2021, 10:30:19 PM »
Leicester is better example.

Spurs in last decade have signed likes of Van Der Vaart, Christen Eriksen, Son, Lucas Moura and Ndombele as various replacements for players who've left so that's the next step for us, going out and signing established players from CL clubs as most of those were at the time.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #13569 on: June 06, 2021, 10:21:32 PM »
We'll be aiming for top 6 next season, ideally with a trophy.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #13570 on: June 06, 2021, 10:23:58 PM »
Top 6 and a trophy; Deano gets a new contract, Jack stays at the club, we get even better players next summer

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #13571 on: June 07, 2021, 06:47:27 AM »
Long way to go before I start making any predictions of top 6. Lets get a squad in this summer that can cope with a few injuries first, and then see what the teams above us do in the transfer market. 10 points more would have got us 6th on last season so that's gettable. Of the team above us.

Leeds - You'd think they may drop back a bit after being last season's surprise package but you never know with Biesla. Probably won't be on a spending spree
West Ham - gotta be the one team we should overhaul. Won't be spending big
Everton - they have the money, have they the manager?
Tottenham/Arsenal - both of them seem in a long drawn out decline. if they decide to back their managers they could block our progress. You'd think the penny would drop that they're in danger of being overtaken but with their owners who knows.
Leicester- should stay above us with a fit first team but vardy's nearly finished, a few injures or big transfers out who knows. Rumoured to be after Tammy which would pose a problem.

Offline nigel

« Reply #13572 on: June 07, 2021, 08:52:24 AM »
Long way to go before I start making any predictions of top 6. Lets get a squad in this summer that can cope with a few injuries first, and then see what the teams above us do in the transfer market. 10 points more would have got us 6th on last season so that's gettable. Of the team above us.

Leeds - You'd think they may drop back a bit after being last season's surprise package but you never know with Biesla. Probably won't be on a spending spree
Tottenham/Arsenal - both of them seem in a long drawn out decline. if they decide to back their managers they could block our progress. You'd think the penny would drop that they're in danger of being overtaken but with their owners who knows.
Leicester- should stay above us with a fit first team but vardy's nearly finished, a few injures or big transfers out who knows. Rumoured to be after Tammy which would pose a problem.

Agree
We should be looking to overtake 2, or 3, of those to maintain progress.
Finishing 11th last season has given us an achievable target for this season.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #13573 on: June 07, 2021, 09:01:22 AM »

Agree
We should be looking to overtake 2, or 3, of those to maintain progress.
Finishing 11th last season has given us an achievable target for this season.

Without knowing what transfers are happening it's hard to make predictions but I'll be disappointed if we're below everton, leeds and west ham next season, I see nothing to suggest we can't overtake that lot. Tottenham and Arsenal are tougher because it depends on what signings they make and who they lose but I'd expect us to compete with them regardless.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #13574 on: June 07, 2021, 09:39:58 AM »
Even allowing for the notion that we’re supposedly a season ahead in the 5 year plan, with the season we had last, the players we look like landing and keeping Grealish, top 6 has to be the target surely? FA cup would be a huge bonus and cushion the blow somewhat if we finished between 11th - 7th. That’s the level of my expectation now after this season. Deano’s got a big back room team to support him. I’d take finishing above Spurs if we finished top half but can’t crack top 6 as progress.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal