collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522956 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #12555 on: April 28, 2021, 04:29:17 PM »
Hope DanLanza still has holiday-makers to clean pools for.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12556 on: April 28, 2021, 10:40:10 PM »
Thoughtcrime

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #12557 on: April 28, 2021, 10:41:49 PM »
I just went into Room 101 and could see ChicagoLion's posting history.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12558 on: April 30, 2021, 07:09:55 AM »
I just went into Room 101 and could see ChicagoLion's posting history.

Bingo

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12559 on: May 04, 2021, 06:39:00 PM »
quote from Boozey 186
I think Dean bought himself another 12 months with our form up until New Year. It's easy to forget now, but we were really good up until that point. Obviously, that was largely down to Jack's form, but I can't remember too many matches at all in which we were outplayed up until that point. Leeds at home is the only one that jumps out.

It's frustrating to see it all fizzle out, and there are a few worrying signs - not least the very basic errors that we continue to make. But the biggest worry is the fact he seems hell-bent on the same formation *no matter what*.

I think his greatest achievement as Villa manager so far is keeping us up after the Covid break. He went away and did something that most managers seem incapable of doing - he went against is natural instincts and changed the way we set up. Making us harder to beat is what got us those points in the last four matches, and it was all down to him. He made that happen. by learning from his mistakes.

That's what makes the last couple of months so frustrating. Keinan has made a difference on a few occasions now (let's not forget the penalty he could have had in the last seconds against Man U, which never got looked at), but Dean still seems reluctant to change the system to incorporate him, often opting for Barkley instead. Ramsey, I understand, but Barkley? Is he just being stubborn? I can't work out the logic.

The only thing that matters at this point is next season, in my opinion. I want to see Dean building for that. Whether that means trying out a few kids to give them experience, or trying out a few new systems - I want evidence that we are planning for something different. I want to know that Dean can adapt again, for when Jack gets injured again (and he will), or for when Plan A isn't working - players like Wes and Davis are perfect for that, because they offer something different to Ollie. The last few games this season are such a rare opportunity to build for next year - I really hope we don't waste it.

I do think that it is a good thing that we've had Barkley this season, because the couple of times that he's made an impact (I'm struggling to think of any genuinely good performances, but he has made an impact on a few games) it's highlighted how good we can be with someone doing that job. Just imagine if we had someone doing that week in, week out. That has to be a priority for the summer, alongside upgrading the wingers.

I'm very optimistic about next season, with Dean in charge. He'll get backed again in the summer, and he always performs better after a long break - but in the summer, we need as much work as we needed last year, and then we need an even bigger improvement. If we're not challenging for the European spots by Christmas, i think we might need to look elsewhere, but by improving year on year, Dean has more than earned the right to have go to take us to the next level - he hasn't failed yet.

I agree with this, it’s how I feel about Deano.

(And sorry in advance. I’ve quoted the original post more than 3 times and it hasn’t appeared so I thought I would just copy and paste. Boozey, I salute you!)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 06:45:16 PM by Louzie0 »

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #12560 on: May 05, 2021, 02:28:32 AM »
Good post, Lou.

I've been a critic of Dean, though recently my dearest wife pointed out that he also lost his dad to covid, yet kept us up against all odds.

I won't be criticising him any more. Put in my place once again.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #12561 on: May 05, 2021, 07:03:49 AM »
I would imagine that Dean will be signing a new contract at the end of this season

Offline Villan82

« Reply #12562 on: May 05, 2021, 09:22:11 AM »
Dean Smith has improved as a manager, it's great to see. The Fulham game showed something that we didn't see much of last season and the final ten games of last season showed something that we hadn't seen from him before then.

I wanted him to make us harder to beat and he did. It's been our best season in over ten years. Well done Dean.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #12563 on: May 05, 2021, 09:46:10 AM »
quote from Boozey 186
The only thing that matters at this point is next season, in my opinion. I want to see Dean building for that. Whether that means trying out a few kids to give them experience, or trying out a few new systems - I want evidence that we are planning for something different. I want to know that Dean can adapt again, for when Jack gets injured again (and he will), or for when Plan A isn't working - players like Wes and Davis are perfect for that, because they offer something different to Ollie. The last few games this season are such a rare opportunity to build for next year - I really hope we don't waste it.
Thx, Lou.
This is the paragraph that resonates most with my thinking - I posted 2-3 weeks' ago that with c.40 points on the board we should be using the remaining games to try different players and systems out: this is an ideal time because the fans are not in the ground to 'judge' and we have 3 or 4 options either coming back from injury or from the youth system.
Clearly, we're not going to be doing this.
Smith obviously gets to go again; why wouldn't you?! But, the stakes get bigger, and he - like most managers - are on a tightrope, results-wise.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #12564 on: May 05, 2021, 10:04:10 AM »
quote from Boozey 186
Thx, Lou.
This is the paragraph that resonates most with my thinking - I posted 2-3 weeks' ago that with c.40 points on the board we should be using the remaining games to try different players and systems out: this is an ideal time because the fans are not in the ground to 'judge' and we have 3 or 4 options either coming back from injury or from the youth system.
Clearly, we're not going to be doing this.
Smith obviously gets to go again; why wouldn't you?! But, the stakes get bigger, and he - like most managers - are on a tightrope, results-wise.

I'd agree with this, Chuk, Kesler and JPB should all be making their first team debuts before the summer, all 3 have been around the senior squad a lot this year and all have been on the bench and not been given a run out. It's the one thing that Smith has disappointed me with this season, especially given how vocal Purslow has been about building around our youth prospects.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #12565 on: May 05, 2021, 10:28:29 AM »
It would be lovely to see some of the kids play.  But looking from Smiths point of view, before the Everton game his team had won 4 games in 20 and we were pretty much in relegation form since Boxing Day.  I can see why he may have felt the need to try and get some positive results before the end of the season was more pressing than blooding youngsters, for job security reasons if nothing else. 

Hopefully the Everton result will give him confidence he has the breathing space he needs.  But even so with the fixtures we have and our desire to finish as high as possible, I wouldn't be surprised if those three don't make an appearance this season.  I feel if he was going to play Kesler then the Cash suspension was the time to do it.   

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12566 on: May 05, 2021, 11:26:27 AM »
It would be lovely to see some of the kids play.  But looking from Smiths point of view, before the Everton game his team had won 4 games in 20 and we were pretty much in relegation form since Boxing Day.  I can see why he may have felt the need to try and get some positive results before the end of the season was more pressing than blooding youngsters, for job security reasons if nothing else. 

Hopefully the Everton result will give him confidence he has the breathing space he needs.  But even so with the fixtures we have and our desire to finish as high as possible, I wouldn't be surprised if those three don't make an appearance this season.  I feel if he was going to play Kesler then the Cash suspension was the time to do it.
I think we know that Smith is not a risk taker.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #12567 on: May 05, 2021, 11:36:20 AM »

It's also easier to throw kids in when the team's playing well.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #12568 on: May 05, 2021, 11:47:26 AM »

It's also easier to throw kids in when the team's playing well.

Of course it is, but a third of a seasonwith nothing much to play for is the sort of opportunity to give the youth gametime that you rarely get. I think we all know that these kids will all play in the league cup but that might well be the only chance they get before christmas and if they believe they're ready to step up that won't really be enough.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #12569 on: May 05, 2021, 12:08:03 PM »
Can't see him changing the team whilst we still have a remote chance of qualifying for europe. If no chance of qualiying after next two or three games he might give one or two youngsters a chance.

Time will tell but would love to end up above Arse and Leeds. Would, just love it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal