collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522753 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #11355 on: March 04, 2021, 04:38:47 PM »
The wide players, along with Watkins, have been swapping positions. This was particularly noticeable against Leeds when there were times where Traore was the main striker and times when El Ghazi was the main striker, along with swapping sides.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #11356 on: March 04, 2021, 05:30:01 PM »
The wide players, along with Watkins, have been swapping positions. This was particularly noticeable against Leeds when there were times where Traore was the main striker and times when El Ghazi was the main striker, along with swapping sides.
True, but last night it was back to a very predictable approach.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #11357 on: March 04, 2021, 06:01:37 PM »
Ollie is our record signing but there is no chance he will be come the end of August. I fully expect it to be in the £40m plus range.

Let’s hope we spend our £40m’s more wisely than Newcastle (Joelinton).

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #11358 on: March 04, 2021, 06:03:53 PM »
Or Wesley.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #11359 on: March 05, 2021, 09:09:13 AM »
Watkins looks a steal at what we paid for him.

We are a typical team in development, win some, lose some look fantastic then awful. Imagine when the players all develop a bit more, we're heading the right way.

I bet Smith must feel like pulling his hair out sometimes.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #11360 on: March 05, 2021, 09:14:27 AM »

We are a typical team in development, win some, lose some look fantastic then awful. Imagine when the players all develop a bit more, we're heading the right way.

A lot of it is down to him. He's massively improved the player acquisition and the defence, now he needs to work on using the squad effectively plus game management and subs. Our record after falling behind in games is pathetic, you might as well blow the final whistle when we concede first.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #11361 on: March 05, 2021, 09:23:46 AM »

Totally agree mate

Offline Luke8

« Reply #11362 on: March 05, 2021, 09:52:05 AM »

A lot of it is down to him. He's massively improved the player acquisition and the defence, now he needs to work on using the squad effectively plus game management and subs. Our record after falling behind in games is pathetic, you might as well blow the final whistle when we concede first.

Our record is not good, and I’m not disputing it’s an area for improvement, but we have been behind in games less than anyone except Man City, Chelsea and Tottenham. Plus, it is quite a hard thing to do - more than half the teams in the league have either never won or only won once from a losing position.

Also, while our recent performances have been a bit limp once we have conceded but I’d argue we were pretty unfortunate to get nothing from the West Ham (home), Brighton and Man United games that we went behind in.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #11363 on: March 05, 2021, 12:37:17 PM »
That Covid break has definitely affected us more than normal. 

If you’re going to be really harsh next season you’re going to be looking for an upgrade on McGinn.  You’re going to need to sign someone like Tammy.  Possibly getting rid of Trez and moving Watkins to the wing.  And then another decent attacking midfielder unless Sanson Amour is the one.  Plus a decent cover for Targett at left back assuming Guilbert comes back as cover for Cash.  if not we need Tango.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:45:12 PM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #11364 on: March 05, 2021, 01:05:57 PM »
As disappointing as the SU result was I'm a big believer in you learn far more from your defeats than you do from your victories. This game encapsulated where we need improvement. This is not about the next few games it’s more to do with recruitment this Summer and where we are lacking.

We need better more consistent players in key areas and far more to change games from the bench. We have the nucleus of 6/7 players in the first XI to play in a top 4 side, the rest just don’t quite cut it. Tonight showed all this to both management and owners.

I think the next stage of growth is one of the hardest. We'll have some tough, brutal decisions to make about some extremely popular players who have played a huge role in our recovery over the last half decade. I guess this process has already started with the likes of Hourihane and others have been relegated to bit part players ahead of a likely departure next season. But it'll be the likes of McGinn next if we want to kick on and that's tough.

Don't think SJM is in danger of losing his place anytime soon.

With regards the summer I think we'll be looking at AEM and Taylor out of contract, Engels and Gullibert moving on, Hourihane going to Swansea or somewhere else for 5-6m and Davis going.

I actually think we'll sell one of Trez/AEG aswell unless we make europa. Both will have two years left on their deal and given the good season we've had and they've played their parts in that so their value will be as high if not higher than what we paid for them.

Nakamba probably also comes into that category. Played well recently but two years left and we're well stocked in midfield area currently.

20-25m coming in from sales is important for FFP and we just don't rely on owners pumping in 60-70m every summer as in the Lerner era when we could barely sell a squad player for anything. Eventually that sort of strategy has its limits.

Not sure we'll hit 40m signing range just yet but will be more in the 20-30m bracket. Would look at getting a really good right sided wide player in, another striker to give us something better off the bench for games like Wednesday and another RB. Will also need more back up at CB and LB aswell.

Offline garyellis

« Reply #11365 on: March 05, 2021, 01:08:04 PM »
We need someone who can be a real game changer as well as Jack. We did enough to win the other night and that team was good enough to have got a result against Sheffield United but not against a top 6 side.
The summer ins and outs are going to be really interesting because to improve on this season will be a big ask when you take account of expectations.
I do not think there is any chance of Dean moving Ollie from his current role and why would he? His first season in the Premier League has been a success and Watkins wants to play in the centre forward position not on the wing. I am all for flexibility and fluidity during the game but Watkins is and will remain our number 9 regardless of what number is on his shirt!

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #11366 on: March 05, 2021, 02:30:52 PM »
David Brooks was linked in the last window. That wouldn't surprise me. Ticks a number of boxes that other players have and is similar in style to Jack but mainly plays on the right, cutting in.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #11367 on: March 05, 2021, 02:43:59 PM »
David Brooks was linked in the last window. That wouldn't surprise me. Ticks a number of boxes that other players have and is similar in style to Jack but mainly plays on the right, cutting in.

Hasn't he been struggling to make it into Bournemouth's starting XI?

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #11368 on: March 05, 2021, 02:44:39 PM »

Hasn't he been struggling to make it into Bournemouth's starting XI?

So was Tyrone.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #11369 on: March 05, 2021, 02:53:18 PM »
True, but last night it was back to a very predictable approach.
exactly

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal