collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1536282 times)

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #11340 on: March 04, 2021, 09:28:24 AM »
This 10 man struggle started against West Ham at Villa Park last season if I remember rightly?

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #11341 on: March 04, 2021, 09:46:25 AM »
Yeah it did, I think we've only beaten one team when they're down to 10 men since that West Ham game, Sheff Utd at home.

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #11342 on: March 04, 2021, 09:59:07 AM »
Yeah it did, I think we've only beaten one team when they're down to 10 men since that West Ham game, Sheff Utd at home.
And West Brom

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #11343 on: March 04, 2021, 10:01:27 AM »
And Brighton.

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #11344 on: March 04, 2021, 10:22:57 AM »
I nearly said and Crystal Palace as well - but that was us!!!

Offline Ads

« Reply #11345 on: March 04, 2021, 10:23:54 AM »
That was our last excellent performance. We've done elements of the game well in patches since and totally dominated a few sides without being convincing.

But what a performance Palace was.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #11346 on: March 04, 2021, 11:18:23 AM »
I am just hoping that now we are safe that the players aren’t thinking about their summer holidays

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #11347 on: March 04, 2021, 12:03:20 PM »
We've definitely come a long way this season but my fear is that we could see this as a huge opportunity missed which results last night certainly don't help.

There is no guarantee that the upward trajectory will continue and some of our players will be attracting interest this summer.

Will they stay? Who knows but making a statement by getting into Europe would definitely do no harm in making them want to stay.

We seem to be on the verge of a major step this season and then blow it. It is encouraging of course but still frustrating.

Offline Ads

« Reply #11348 on: March 04, 2021, 12:04:57 PM »
FFP constraints are loosened now aren't they for us? I recall Ourslow saying we couldn't welly the wallet around as we like as we were constrained by year previously.

I seriously don't think there's anybody outside of Man City that has the financial muscle we do and the willingness to flex it.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #11349 on: March 04, 2021, 12:37:40 PM »
We've definitely come a long way this season but my fear is that we could see this as a huge opportunity missed which results last night certainly don't help.

There is no guarantee that the upward trajectory will continue and some of our players will be attracting interest this summer.

Will they stay? Who knows but making a statement by getting into Europe would definitely do no harm in making them want to stay.

We seem to be on the verge of a major step this season and then blow it. It is encouraging of course but still frustrating.

Kind of where I am with it really.  This season has definitely exceeded my expectations, but just feel that there is a great opportunity this season that we look like we are not going to take advantage of. 

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #11350 on: March 04, 2021, 12:41:21 PM »
Every club down to fourteenth in the table probably feels the same but none of the others went into the season hoping they'd be safe before the final day.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #11351 on: March 04, 2021, 12:42:08 PM »
We haven't looked the same to me since the Covid outbreak. Only in the first half against Burnley have we looked excellent.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #11352 on: March 04, 2021, 01:16:39 PM »
We haven't looked the same to me since the Covid outbreak. Only in the first half against Burnley have we looked excellent.

Burnley were way off the pace and left loads of space in that first half. That game should have been  over after 45 mins. Teams are getting better at nullifying us I think.

Smith needs to help the team evolve again - shape, personnel, flexibility. We are starting to find it harder to to be as creative and dynamic as we were before Xmas and this was happening before Grealish got injured.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #11353 on: March 04, 2021, 01:21:56 PM »
Burnley were way off the pace and left loads of space in that first half. That game should have been  over after 45 mins. Teams are getting better at nullifying us I think.
Smith needs to help the team evolve again - shape, personnel, flexibility. We are starting to find it harder to to be as creative and dynamic as we were before Xmas and this was happening before Grealish got injured.
When a team plays 2 obviously-wide players (Traore and AEG), it is easy to defend and less flexible during the game. Take Liverpool: they have 2 obviously-wide players in Mane and Salah, but these 2 have licence to play wherever the game demands it. All this means that they can play between the lines of defence and midfield and provide overloads where an advantage can be gained.
We've become predictable and lack the players to create a more flexible approach to games. I'm hoping that over time Sanson, Barry, Philigene-Bidace and others can provide greater flexibility in our play.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #11354 on: March 04, 2021, 01:55:49 PM »
With both wingers staying on the wrong side, every time the defenders are happy to funnel them towards more defenders.
They should swap sides to give the defense something else to think about.
It also means when they cross the odds massively  favour the defenders.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal