collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522239 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #11070 on: January 24, 2021, 11:40:58 AM »
Actually thought he showed a bit of a steely side yesterday , which we haven't really seen too often.  You could tell he wasn't too happy about elements of the 2nd half performance and made the decision to sub both Barkley and Grealish, much to their obvious ire. 

Offline Villan82

« Reply #11071 on: January 24, 2021, 12:01:08 PM »
15-20 years ago I played a lot of football manager. Rather than buy the star players I would buy up the good young players and after a couple of seasons I would have a great team challenging for the title.

I feel like Dean Smith has done the real life equivalent of this!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #11072 on: January 24, 2021, 12:30:20 PM »
How long before he gets the Ingerlund job...
No. Totally unsuitable for England job.
If he gets us to where I think he might, he will be a shoe-in I reckon.
No Never. Even if he wins the Champions League  with us he will not be good enough to manage England. I am afraid we will have to live with that.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #11073 on: January 24, 2021, 12:43:26 PM »
He’s a good manager with what looks to be a very good backroom staff. A way to go though to match Saunders. Have said it before the acid test would be any prolonged period without jack

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #11074 on: January 24, 2021, 01:01:03 PM »
Sooner or later this season Dean will have to lance that Jack boil. Jack will miss a match or two through suspension/injury and we have to go out and win those matches.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #11075 on: January 24, 2021, 01:16:13 PM »

The biggest slice of luck we ever had wasn’t the goal line technology No goal but the new owners  that wobbled into Villa Park a couple Of seasons ago

In hindsight, the playoff final defeat to Fulham was the best thing that has happened to us this century. If we'd have won that and got promoted, Tony Xia wouldn't have been forced to sell up and we'd never have been lucky enough to catch the attention of our current owners.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #11076 on: January 24, 2021, 01:32:49 PM »
I think there is something about starting management lower down the league.  It gives you an insight into hard times and issues that players may have which are far from those at the upper part of the league.

It has always been said that top players do not make top managers, particularly in modern day football.  As a player, if you have had a pampered playing career, it can be very difficult as a manager to see the issues outside of the game that may affect a player and when there is a shortage of money in a club.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #11077 on: January 24, 2021, 01:41:32 PM »
15-20 years ago I played a lot of football manager. Rather than buy the star players I would buy up the good young players and after a couple of seasons I would have a great team challenging for the title.

"Taking Woking from the Conference to the Champions League doesn't go unnoticed, Neil".

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #11078 on: January 25, 2021, 10:08:13 AM »
Taxi for Mr Lampard.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #11079 on: January 25, 2021, 12:10:55 PM »
Yep, Lampard sacked. Thomas Tuchel expected to take over.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #11080 on: January 25, 2021, 12:40:45 PM »

I wonder if he rates Tammy?

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #11081 on: January 25, 2021, 12:48:22 PM »
[/quote

I wonder if he rates Tammy?

I don’t think we will go for or need Tammy at this stage of our development

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #11082 on: January 25, 2021, 01:10:04 PM »

Ha, I'd do the same.  Get by with my current players and a handful of free transfers / transfer list bargain buys for the first season or so, whilst hoovering up every half-decent 17/18/19 year old.  Loan them out as much as possible until they hit 21.  After a couple of seasons, you've built yourself a production line of young talent.  You can then sell your weaker 1st team players at a massive profit, and replace them with your best 21 year olds.  Sell anyone who's 22 and not good enough to be in/around the first team.  Reinvest all profits in 17/18/19 year olds.

Weirdly, that seems to be our actual plan right now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 01:12:56 PM by algy »

Offline Villan82

« Reply #11083 on: January 25, 2021, 01:25:56 PM »

Ha, I'd do the same.  Get by with my current players and a handful of free transfers / transfer list bargain buys for the first season or so, whilst hoovering up every half-decent 17/18/19 year old.  Loan them out as much as possible until they hit 21.  After a couple of seasons, you've built yourself a production line of young talent.  You can then sell your weaker 1st team players at a massive profit, and replace them with your best 21 year olds.  Sell anyone who's 22 and not good enough to be in/around the first team.  Reinvest all profits in 17/18/19 year olds.

Weirdly, that seems to be our actual plan right now.

Ha! Great minds think alike! Yeah, it was a sure fire way of success in the old days of football manager. It got a bit too complicated for me about 10-11 years ago so I haven't been buying the new ones.

It just hit me last week that Dean Smith has basically done this with us. A lot of the players bought in 2019 have really pushed on, developed and looking like good players. We have leap-frogged a lot of club by buying players who are improving. Long may it last.

Offline cdward

« Reply #11084 on: January 25, 2021, 01:40:40 PM »
I hope he tells england to do one. He can achieve fergie/Wenger status if he stays with Villa
No surprise that the 2 most successful managers in the last 20 years, have also been the longest serving. I know it goes without saying that you wouldn't change your manager if he is successful, but allowing the manager to develop the team, squad and playing ethos, backed by understanding owners is the recipe for sustained success. I would love a Dean Smith era at VP.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal