collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 01:03:39 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522059 times)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #10740 on: November 13, 2020, 08:44:57 AM »
only it didn't.
It did but it was disallowed quite controversially.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #10741 on: November 13, 2020, 08:44:59 AM »
Great post RCF.

Rudy can't fail.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #10742 on: November 13, 2020, 11:24:08 AM »
only it didn't.

I wasn't happy with the decision in the heat of the moment, as I'm sure many of us weren't, but ref's can't start deciding what a goalkeeper can save or not save. This one was clear cut but it sets a dangerous precedent and you only need to start having ones where it's contentious and it will cause problems.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #10743 on: November 13, 2020, 12:41:25 PM »
I've lost count of the times I've seen goals given where I thought if I'd been referee or linesman, I'd have disallowed the goal because the attacker had impeded the goalkeepers vision.  The whole scrutiny of the minutiae is becoming so over the top that they might as well dispense with the referee and have a robot like one of those robotic lawn mower things buzzing around the pitch.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #10744 on: November 13, 2020, 02:28:44 PM »
Yet again Dave W you have got it spectacularly wrong - my comment  earlier was nothing to do with an emotion state and everything to do with fact.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10745 on: November 13, 2020, 02:49:20 PM »
Yet again Dave W you have got it spectacularly wrong - my comment  earlier was nothing to do with an emotion state and everything to do with fact.

Awww, did the nasty man upset you?

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #10746 on: November 13, 2020, 02:54:57 PM »

Awww, did the nasty man upset you?
Wow, there are some tetchy people on here this week. Is it due to the International break ? Remember Villa are 3pts off the top with a game in hand people......it's all good.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #10747 on: November 13, 2020, 05:20:03 PM »

How is it a fact? It led to a goal, that the goal was disallowed doesn't mean the tactic didn't work, it just means it didn't result in the goal it very easily could've. Does a player not count as having given away a penalty if it gets missed?

Offline jcsutv

« Reply #10748 on: November 13, 2020, 05:34:10 PM »

How is it a fact? It led to a goal, that the goal was disallowed doesn't mean the tactic didn't work, it just means it didn't result in the goal it very easily could've. Does a player not count as having given away a penalty if it gets missed?

I’m not convinced it is a great tactic but it did work this week.

Offline charlatan

« Reply #10749 on: November 13, 2020, 05:35:45 PM »
only it didn't.

I wasn't happy with the decision in the heat of the moment, as I'm sure many of us weren't, but ref's can't start deciding what a goalkeeper can save or not save. This one was clear cut but it sets a dangerous precedent and you only need to start having ones where it's contentious and it will cause problems.

Why not? They seem to have to decide whether a covering defender is within range to stop a clear goalscoring opportunity or indeed whether the striker woukld have reached a through ball before an onrushing goalkeeper and more often whether someone's head was near enough to possibly have been wellied by a high boot. Similarly, for penalty tries in rugby, the ref has to decide whether or not a covering player could have tackled the likely scorer.

Offline charlatan

« Reply #10750 on: November 13, 2020, 05:48:59 PM »
I've lost count of the times I've seen goals given where I thought if I'd been referee or linesman, I'd have disallowed the goal because the attacker had impeded the goalkeepers vision.  The whole scrutiny of the minutiae is becoming so over the top that they might as well dispense with the referee and have a robot like one of those robotic lawn mower things buzzing around the pitch.

From experience as the linesman looking from side on it's impossible to tell whether the player is offside, and then it's likely the ref doesn't have a clear picture of the incident in his head, so after a chat he has a guess.....seems an appropriate situation for VAR to disallow if interference is clear and obvious.

The question is what constitutes interfering with play. I can think of numerous interpretations:

1) Goalkeeper wouldn't have stopped it, so player in offside position couldn't have materially interfered with play
2) Goalkeeper probably wouldn't have stopped it, so insufficient evidence that the player in an offside position interfered to overturn with VAR
3) Goalkeeper might have stopped it, so clear evidence that play has been interfered with
4) Goalkeeper missed opportunity to make completely inconsequential movement in the direction of the ball, so clear evidence play interfered with
5) (Very old school quote from Stourbridge centre half John Horne (and no doubt thousands of others)) 'If he's not interfering with play, what the **** is he doing on the ******* pitch ref?'

I realise 5 is no longer in vogue, but I'm unclear which of the others is correct. (I haven't reffed for 17 years.)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #10751 on: November 13, 2020, 05:50:48 PM »

I’m not convinced it is a great tactic but it did work this week.

I'm not sure, I quite like the idea of testing the fullbacks early, either by getting them into a race with our winger or just running at them. Most fullbacks in the league are better going forward than defending, making them realise they're in for a tough day early is well worth doing. If we did it all the time (like under Bruce with goal kicks) then I'd be more bothered by it.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #10752 on: November 13, 2020, 05:52:09 PM »
If anybody had offered me 5 wins from the first 7 games this year I would have, not only, bitten their hands off but possibly have gnawed mightily on their calves and nibbled lightly around their ears.  Dean has brought a breath of fresh air to this club that has been missing since the Brian Little revolution.  Long may he reign.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10753 on: November 13, 2020, 05:53:06 PM »
If anybody had offered me 5 wins from the first 7 games this year I would have, not only, bitten their hands off but possibly have gnawed mightily on their calves and nibbled lightly around their ears.  Dean has brought a breath of fresh air to this club that has been missing since the Brian Little revolution.  Long may he reign.

Yes.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #10754 on: November 13, 2020, 05:54:20 PM »

Yes.

Uh-huh.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal