collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523438 times)

Offline mcgrath_85

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #9180 on: July 10, 2020, 06:06:14 PM »
What a massively depressing thread.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #9181 on: July 10, 2020, 06:14:15 PM »
This team would piss the championship with a decent manager
we could obviously lose a couple out of the list but we would also have good money to replace them

HEATON
GILBERT
ENGELS
MINGS
TARGET
NAKAMBA
MCGINN
LUIZ
EL GHAZI
WESLEY
SAMATA

apologies to those who think I’m being to negative because we’re not down yet but I’m just trying to cheer myself up
I would place decent money that we will not field that team next season, maybe 6 will stay.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #9182 on: July 10, 2020, 06:36:23 PM »
why? Newcastle didn't sell everyone when they went down. Why do we need to? We're not skint. They are all under contract. New players joined a newly promoted side so they all knew what they were getting into. Unless they have clauses we can hold on to everyone unless the right offer comes in. There is a very good chance we will keep most of them. And frankly why would a new manager join if the first they will do is sell everyone? We will want to give ourselves the very best chance of getting back up.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #9183 on: July 10, 2020, 06:39:28 PM »
It isn’t just Smiths fault but he has failed in one of the most important aspects of his job.
He has been useless at game management, just a few more points from winning positions and we would be close to safety.

This for me is where any defence of smith falls down. The players might not have been good enough or the squad correctly balanced, but they were good to get us into winning positions against good teams so you can’t have it both ways.

The rest as you say is in game tactics.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #9184 on: July 10, 2020, 06:42:42 PM »
Another small positive is that last season Norwich were better than us and got automatically promoted. This year we overtook them, and will have weaker teams to compete with than last time.

Get a decent manager and we should do very well at that level.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #9185 on: July 10, 2020, 06:52:07 PM »
why? Newcastle didn't sell everyone when they went down. Why do we need to? We're not skint. They are all under contract. New players joined a newly promoted side so they all knew what they were getting into. Unless they have clauses we can hold on to everyone unless the right offer comes in. There is a very good chance we will keep most of them. And frankly why would a new manager join if the first they will do is sell everyone? We will want to give ourselves the very best chance of getting back up.
I think the ones who want to go will go. We see it time and again: a player makes his intention clear and we're all 'let him rot in the reserves etc etc' but it never happens.  Relations between the club and the player sour to the point where there's no point playing or even keeping them and they leave, under a cloud.  But you're right that even in such situations we won't get ripped off.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #9186 on: July 10, 2020, 07:02:16 PM »
Even if we do end up in Division 2 again, we're still going to be by far the biggest club down there, and with filthy rich owners to boot.

We'll be back, and it won't take as long as last time.

We're Aston fucking Villa ffs.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #9187 on: July 10, 2020, 07:24:41 PM »
The players never seem to take their share of the blame for not trying as appeared to be the case last night.  If only they all had clauses inserted forcing them to stay at least another year of their contracts if the club is relegated. 

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #9188 on: July 10, 2020, 07:25:47 PM »
Like Emile fucking Heskey ffs.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9189 on: July 10, 2020, 07:31:26 PM »

I don't know where I got this from (so there's a good chance I made it up) but I was under the impression that relegation clauses in player contracts were balanced by release clauses? Which isn't to say that any club in their right minds would come close to bidding whatever the figure would be for most of that shower.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9190 on: July 10, 2020, 07:36:20 PM »
The thing in our favour (or any clubs that go down) is that this will be a very short summer window. The season starts 12/09 so once all the european and cup games are done we're looking at a 5-6 week window. Teams and agents aren't going to be able to fuck about as long as normal. That makes it more of a sellers market than normal, and with clubs still likely to be nervous about finances I can see a fair few players than we might think would want out will end up sticking out until January and seeing how things are going.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9191 on: July 10, 2020, 07:36:46 PM »
Even if we do end up in Division 2 again, we're still going to be by far the biggest club down there, and with filthy rich owners to boot.

We'll be back, and it won't take as long as last time.

Well said mate 👏👏👏👏

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #9192 on: July 10, 2020, 07:37:21 PM »
Another small positive is that last season Norwich were better than us and got automatically promoted. This year we overtook them, and will have weaker teams to compete with than last time.

We spent £120 million. Norwich spent fuck all.

Being above them is the very, very least we could have expected.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #9193 on: July 10, 2020, 07:42:09 PM »
Is Dean Smith the man to get us up next season? and if yes and he does, then I wonder if he's learnt enough to make a better go of it next time round?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #9194 on: July 10, 2020, 07:42:12 PM »

Norwich deserve to be relegated for failing to attempt to stay up. They pretty much planned for relegation by not investing. They've a large shed full of moolah. It will be interesting to see what they do with it this window.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal