collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522223 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #9105 on: July 10, 2020, 05:00:57 AM »
I think he's just utterly bereft of ideas now so he's going with what he's got and hoping for something to happen.
I don’t think he has had much of a clue for sometime, you can tell by the body language and the look on the faces of anyone that happens to have that lion on their chest.
They know everything is in hope and not expectation.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #9106 on: July 10, 2020, 07:49:16 AM »
That second half last night was so meek.  The half time team talk should have been about being spurred on because of the injustice of the penalty.  Instead, it was about not conceding a hatful of goals and damage limitation.  We sulked our way through the game.  It was a terrible penalty but we HAVE to fight a damn sight harder than we are doing at the moment.  2 points from the last 10 games is almost like death by a thousand cuts.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #9107 on: July 10, 2020, 07:56:48 AM »
And with the penalty we just seemed to meekly accept it, there was hardly a murmur from anyone.  We should have been haranguing the Ref after that, show you're furious so we might get something evened up or at least send a message that they're fucked off with the injustice. Matic whinged on and on after a free kick wasn't given to him so it was no surprise they get a soft one handed to them on a plate 20 mins later.

We just seem to collectively shrug our shoulders.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 08:00:31 AM by OzVilla »

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #9108 on: July 10, 2020, 07:58:35 AM »
That second half last night was so meek.  The half time team talk should have been about being spurred on because of the injustice of the penalty.  Instead, it was about not conceding a hatful of goals and damage limitation.  We sulked our way through the game.  It was a terrible penalty but we HAVE to fight a damn sight harder than we are doing at the moment.  2 points from the last 10 games is almost like death by a thousand cuts.

Agree. I’m more pissed off and angry with the second half ‘performance’ than I am the diabolical VAR. The travesty of justice should have been used to spur on a response. We are the weakest, most fragile minded group in the league by a mile. Where does this mindset come from? Surely top down? Look at Bournemouth, they came out second half v United and had them rattled in the first 10 minutes of the second half at the weekend. Have it a proper go.
We sulk, winge and when going gets tough just roll over and let our belly’s get tickled.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #9109 on: July 10, 2020, 08:01:29 AM »
You know what, if smith is sacked he will be the scapegoat. The entire recruitment and coaching staff need to go as it’s a collective clusterfuck

Total over reaction. 

It was a massive task to rebuild the squad to premiership standard with the money allowed.

Yes there have been mistakes but I don’t see major unexpected errors.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #9110 on: July 10, 2020, 08:02:23 AM »
And with the penalty we just seemed to meekly accept it, there was hardly a murmur from anyone.  We should have been haranguing the Ref after that, show you're furious so we might get something evened up or at least send a message that they're fucked off with the injustice. Matic whinged on and on after a free kick wasn't given to him so it was no surprise they get a soft one handed to them on a plate 20 mins later.

We just seem to collectively our shrug shoulders.
This is what has been bugging me for some time, we don’t complain we seem to be in some Edwardian time warp, I say old chap if you think it’s a penalty then good for you, yes Sir referee, absolutely fine for those good fellows to keep kicking our best player but of course we should be punished for even the tiniest transgressions.
Would you like to pop round later and roger my wife ?, no JT I was talking to Sir .

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #9111 on: July 10, 2020, 08:02:43 AM »

Most other managers would have been all over the ref at half time. Smith seems such a nice bloke, it is as if we are playing as the Corinthian Casuals.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #9112 on: July 10, 2020, 08:19:47 AM »
The seeds of our destruction last night lie on the whole approach to the 10-game mini-league, at the start of which Smith said he felt the squad was fitter and more aware of its previous shortfalls and had learned from them. He then sent the teams against SheffU and Newcastle particularly (but Chelsea and Dogheads as well) with a 'let's not lose' approach. Totally wrong mindset.
If we'd won against SheffU and Newcastle, we'd be in a different place and our approach  to last night's game would have been entirely different.
Poor decision-making and poor management.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #9113 on: July 10, 2020, 08:49:24 AM »
You know what, if smith is sacked he will be the scapegoat. The entire recruitment and coaching staff need to go as it’s a collective clusterfuck

Total over reaction. 

It was a massive task to rebuild the squad to premiership standard with the money allowed.

Yes there have been mistakes but I don’t see major unexpected errors.

I disagree.  Look at the players we have recruited, what we paid and the performances they have served up.  I firmly believe that a lot of these duds (which they clearly are) have been brought to the club by a man who has no idea of what it takes to survive in the English top tier.  It's also my opinion that Smith has had to integrate these players into a team that's not his preferred choice, but he's tried to make it go because he loves this club and it's the job of his dreams.

People are talking about Smith wanting Maupay, Benrahma, Webster and instead getting Trezeguet, Samatta and Engels. This may be true, it may not but I know who I'd rather have in the team.  Our recruitment has, on the whole, been absolutely woeful - and this is borne out by the abject performances we are having to endure.  Start the inquest.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #9114 on: July 10, 2020, 08:56:33 AM »
It isn’t just Smiths fault but he has failed in one of the most important aspects of his job.
He has been useless at game management, just a few more points from winning positions and we would be close to safety.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #9115 on: July 10, 2020, 09:06:57 AM »
JT and Smith will go after this - regardless of what happens next four matches

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #9116 on: July 10, 2020, 09:09:44 AM »
how on earth are we going to shift this shite? In 2016 we at least had a few  players people actually wanted to buy. Other than Jack, Mings, McGinn and possibly Heaton, we're stuck with the rest.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #9117 on: July 10, 2020, 09:13:22 AM »
JT and Smith will go after this - regardless of what happens next four matches

I think you're right.

Offline AlwaysVilla

« Reply #9118 on: July 10, 2020, 09:17:20 AM »
Every manager is judged on two primary things. His ability with game management and tactics,  and the other, the quality of players he signs to play the system he wants. No doubt he has been found wanting with the former, particular continuing with the same team and poor subs. However, I feel he has not been helped by the poor quality of our purchases.

We spent a lot of money, we had too, but even that much doesn't buy guaranteed Prem quality.  We know he wanted Phillips, Maupay and Benrahma but that would have cost 65 million minimum for Championship players and we needed at least 10 players, so we ended up with poor quality imports. The cost of Targett and Konza tells us how much Prem players would have cost.  The owners set a budget and we needed yo spread it thinly. I'm not convinced Smith got his choice of players at all.

This doesn't excuse him being tactically inept at times, but what has changing managers done in the past but cause further turmoil. Maybe he deserves sacking but I do wonder if anyone else would have fared better when the club was not ready for the Prem.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #9119 on: July 10, 2020, 09:22:17 AM »
Exactly right Always Villa.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal