collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522533 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #8700 on: July 05, 2020, 09:12:16 PM »
The blokes who took us over when we were hours from administration, got us promoted when relegation was looking more likely and have stuck in hundreds of millions of pounds? Those shit owners?

What is the expression about a fool and his money?  They don't strike me as fools Dave, but you have to admit, they seem a little slow to act on what appears to be a steady and certain decline towards the Championship?  Maybe they have faith that Dean will pull it out for the bag and will wait to the bitter end to see if that happens but it is looking more and more likely.

They're certainly not fools and they'll more than likely be looking at bigger pictures, blue sky thinking and all sorts of corporate bollocks, but the day to day running of the club is down to Purslow. Looking at where we are now and where we were the day they arrived, you can;t say they've been bad owners.

What is your inkling Dave, Smith to stay, or go?

If you're asking if I know anything, I haven't got a clue. If you're asking my opinion, it hasn't really changed since last week. Let's see how he approaches the rest of the season first.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #8701 on: July 05, 2020, 09:51:38 PM »
Even as results fail to improve, I've found myself more sympathetic to Smith's position since lockdown. I just feel more and more that the quality isn't there, the only quality attacking player we have is Jack. Any trio of Davis, Samatta, Wesley, Baston, AEG, Trez, Jota, AEM you pick in front of him, SJM and Luiz just is nowhere near Prem quality.

However, as I'm resigned to relegation the question is can DS get us straight back via top 2. On one hand I think he knows the problems we would need to rectify and add pace and power in the summer, on the other I can't shake the feeling we'd go on long, crap runs like the 2 wins in 13 we did last season. The powers that be need to make sure they are getting all the info from those on the ground on his coaching, players motivation and respect for DS and his team before making a huge decision next month.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #8702 on: July 05, 2020, 09:58:49 PM »
Dave a couple of games ago you said if we go down the key thing is whether we go down with a fight. Out of interest, what do you think the last couple of games, including today, say on that front? (Not a loaded question).

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #8703 on: July 05, 2020, 10:04:54 PM »
Dave a couple of games ago you said if we go down the key thing is whether we go down with a fight. Out of interest, what do you think the last couple of games, including today, say on that front? (Not a loaded question).

One was poor, today was more organised and we probably did as well as we could.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #8704 on: July 05, 2020, 10:30:51 PM »
Thanks, probably where I am.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #8705 on: July 05, 2020, 10:35:23 PM »
A large number of these players will still be with Villa if, or rather when, we start the Championship season. Dean Smith doesn't seem to be getting anything other than participation out of them, so to me it seem illogical to assume he would turn that around after a relegation.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #8706 on: July 05, 2020, 10:38:31 PM »
The blokes who took us over when we were hours from administration, got us promoted when relegation was looking more likely and have stuck in hundreds of millions of pounds? Those shit owners?

What is the expression about a fool and his money?  They don't strike me as fools Dave, but you have to admit, they seem a little slow to act on what appears to be a steady and certain decline towards the Championship?  Maybe they have faith that Dean will pull it out for the bag and will wait to the bitter end to see if that happens but it is looking more and more likely.

They're certainly not fools and they'll more than likely be looking at bigger pictures, blue sky thinking and all sorts of corporate bollocks, but the day to day running of the club is down to Purslow. Looking at where we are now and where we were the day they arrived, you can;t say they've been bad owners.
Edens does not come across as  an  advocate of corporate speak, Purslow certainly does.
When you look at our owners business acumen, they are certainly not fools and will not tolerate piss poor performance for long. But they will see the season out
and review when the season has finally played out. This is all on Purslows head he has the responsibility and the authority.
Very unlikely that both he and Smith will survive relegation.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #8707 on: July 05, 2020, 10:43:39 PM »
I think they’ll both survive relegation but Smith will need to be top 4 at the very minimum by October.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #8708 on: July 05, 2020, 10:56:04 PM »

I think the frustrating thing is that if we'd have been as organised since January as we were today, and in truth have been for most of the restart, we'd be a couple of points better off and a lot more hopeful.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #8709 on: July 05, 2020, 10:56:22 PM »
I think they’ll both survive relegation but Smith will need to be top 4 at the very minimum by October.

The problem with that is that we have yet more churn as the new manager will want his own players.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #8710 on: July 05, 2020, 10:59:06 PM »

I think the frustrating thing is that if we'd have been as organised since January as we were today, and in truth have been for most of the restart, we'd be a couple of points better off and a lot more hopeful.

Absolutely. Smith's biggest failing this year is leaving us so open in those first 11-12 games. We should have ground out 2-3 draws more in that time and, as you say, since January.

3-4 extra points and we'd be almost safe.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #8711 on: July 05, 2020, 11:00:50 PM »

The problem with that is that we have yet more churn as the new manager will want his own players.
I expect Eden’s to do a drains up on the season.
Him and Sawaris will then decide.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #8712 on: July 05, 2020, 11:01:50 PM »

The CEO / Sporting Director / Manager structure is supposed to prevent that isn't it? 

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8713 on: July 05, 2020, 11:08:01 PM »
I can't be bothered checking but does anyone know if Lambert had a run as bad as this, i.e. 10 without a win? I set him as the lowest of low bars. Leaving 15/16 aside of course which was just all sorts of record breakingly shit.

12 without a win saw the end of Lambert. The following season we went 19 without a win!😳

Thanks for replying. The Lambert years seemed to produce a lot of horrific runs but I hadn't realised it had got as bad as 12 without a win. I despised him by the end and was jubilant when he got sacked. Not there at all with Deano, still love him for last season but this run is depressing as hell and as always in these circumstances you just can't see when it's going to end.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #8714 on: July 05, 2020, 11:21:14 PM »
To be honest, he has shown that he's not good enough and should be replaced come the summer wherever we are. He could argue that if we stay up, he would have shown that; for me, though, it just looks like he's not building anything and never has, but rather just muddles from one game to the next, obviously out of his depth, just hoping for the best.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 11:44:53 PM by Monty »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal