collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

MOTD by VillaTim
[Today at 11:05:25 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:01:05 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Champions League Contention by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 10:39:43 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by Ian.
[Today at 10:37:56 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:17:13 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1547723 times)

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #8400 on: June 30, 2020, 12:47:50 PM »
I suspect the "harder to beat" comment comes from conceding only four goals in four games, instead of the more than two per game we were shipping before lockdown. We're also conceding fewer chances per game. Only the top three in the league average less than a goal a game conceded - so he does have a point, but clearly this has all come at a cost of making us a MUCH less potent attacking threat.

And I suspect our goals conceded per game since the lockdown will look a little different after Sunday...

Even when we were dire earlier in the season, I always thought we could score a goal or two. It just always seemed like we'd concede more than that.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #8401 on: June 30, 2020, 01:43:18 PM »
Let's dispell the idea that changing manager for a promoted team is so successful. Another fallacy like the 40pts thing.

Since the premier league went to a 20 team league back in 95 there have been 71 promotions

And 19 out of 71 promoted club got rid of their promotion wimning manager in a effort to stay up but only 6 times did a new manager keep the club up .

So really it did makes sense to stay with Dean Smith. And the reality in changing manager hoping for change of fortune isn't so great actually.

Hmmmm, I'll take that with a pinch of salt, but could you answer the following:

How many teams who didn't change their manager stayed up?
How many teams in the bottom three with 8 games to go have avoided the drop?

That boy certainly has some time on his hands.  That is some set of stats.  I reckon he is Michael Burry in disguise.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #8402 on: June 30, 2020, 03:26:18 PM »
let's not footy, His managerial skill set this season could've been written across a gnat's bollock with room to spare for War and Peace.

Its sad to realise that no gnat is ever likely to ponder upon this view.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #8403 on: June 30, 2020, 03:46:55 PM »
I guess Dean biggest difficulty has been sorting out the defence because he always been an attack minded coach
Perhaps so much concentration has had to go in to rearranging Smith football philosophy it's detrimental to coaching ? Maybe ?

What we can say is it's interesting to see how well Brentford are doing.
I believe Thomas Frank who's now head coach would learn a lot from Dean Smith no? Brentford under Thomas Franks has strengthen in the defence, which working wonders, but still having an attack minded set up.

Getting the balance at villa this season has been a big difficulty. I see it as 2nd problem to the 1st being gelling a team together. Don't forget he's been served a salmagundi for a main course meal.

I'm convinced if Smith had a settled team/squad and a premier league season then we see a fair reflection of up tempo rather than tepid displays.

Offline 260475

« Reply #8404 on: June 30, 2020, 03:55:49 PM »
Struggling with that concept. 'Up tempo and settled' comes from how the team is managed.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #8405 on: June 30, 2020, 05:12:15 PM »
Let's dispell the idea that changing manager for a promoted team is so successful. Another fallacy like the 40pts thing.

Since the premier league went to a 20 team league back in 95 there have been 71 promotions

And 19 out of 71 promoted club got rid of their promotion wimning manager in a effort to stay up but only 6 times did a new manager keep the club up .

So really it did makes sense to stay with Dean Smith. And the reality in changing manager hoping for change of fortune isn't so great actually.

Hmmmm, I'll take that with a pinch of salt, but could you answer the following:

How many teams who didn't change their manager stayed up?
How many teams in the bottom three with 8 games to go have avoided the drop?

I don't have those figures at this stage .
I can tell you Sam Allardyce shared his survival blueprint via sky sports and I may be able to come up with some of his stats for the current bottom clubs and see where we are say before the weekend and after all games are equal again or maybe after the villa game ??

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #8406 on: June 30, 2020, 05:43:34 PM »
In 2017 via sky sports Sam Allardyce shared his survival blueprint-
1.Keep clean sheets
2. Don't lose possession in your own half
3.Play the first pass forward
4.Win Knock downs and Transitions
5.Prioritise set pieces - both offensively and defensively . (Score from them and don't concede from them)
6.Exploit oppositions weaknesses
7.Have quality in the final third- take your goalscoring chances.
Well, that list certainly explains why we are where we are; we're doing none of these!

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #8407 on: June 30, 2020, 05:49:16 PM »
I would like to see Smith get the full season, but I imagine that'll end in relegation.
My issue with Smith at the moment is the basics are toss.
If the coaches could improve the players basic skills of movement, passing to each other and concentrating then we could have a chance.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #8408 on: June 30, 2020, 06:00:35 PM »
The thing that puts me off Dyche is not that he's lacking as a manager (he isn't) it's that it's fits our depressingly predictable rebound approach to reruitment where we lurch from supposedly forward thinking/expansive football guy to supposedly safe pair of hands, meaning at any one time half the squad is unsuited to the way we're trying to play.

I don't think smith is the answer but someone that is better at the kind of football he tried to get us playing is.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8409 on: June 30, 2020, 06:10:09 PM »
The thing that puts me off Dyche is not that he's lacking as a manager (he isn't) it's that it's fits our depressingly predictable rebound approach to reruitment where we lurch from supposedly forward thinking/expansive football guy to supposedly safe pair of hands, meaning at any one time half the squad is unsuited to the way we're trying to play.

I don't think smith is the answer but someone that is better at the kind of football he tried to get us playing is.

Yes please.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #8410 on: June 30, 2020, 06:12:26 PM »
Smith was the right appointment at the time. Same as MON was, similar to BFR and Brian Little.
Things just don't work out sometimes...

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #8411 on: June 30, 2020, 06:37:55 PM »
Smith was the right appointment at the time. Same as MON was, similar to BFR and Brian Little.
Things just don't work out sometimes...

I agree with this. He was the perfect guy for the short term job of getting some bounce back into us and deserves lots of credit for what he did.

He deserved a run to Christmas but at that point he should have been allowed to walk away a hero forever, the club would have been the bad guys but soon forgotten if we’d got he recruitment right.

For whatever reason he wasn’t and it didn’t do him any favours in the end. If we go down and it’s worse than 50/50 then he’s undone his good work in the eyes of a lot of fans. And we’re probably recruiting from a position of weakness AgAiN.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8412 on: June 30, 2020, 06:59:17 PM »

I don't think it matters who we get in post-Smith to be honest, as a new manager will always want his own players anyway.  Smith might well want to play a quick, attacking, passing game, which makes it a shame that none of the players he has bought or had bought for him are quick or good at passing.

Offline wince

« Reply #8413 on: June 30, 2020, 07:30:06 PM »
It’s the depressing merrygoround names we end up wanting. Dyche yes, has no money and done ok at Burnley. Yet he would spunk his wad at having money to spend, like Bruce did and still serve up the depressing style of football that would see us one year in the top half of the table and another circling with the turds at the bottom. People want fat Sam, another dinosaur that only works short term for many clubs. Moyes was bandied about a few years ago, again dire turgid football. Smith may come good, probably not yet but we need proven coaching staff who aren’t stuck in the past couples with players of a quality to work to a game plan and a game plan that doesn’t consist of hoofing the ball up the field and hoping someone gets it or inviting our star player to get mauled so we can win a free kick (then usually spoon the kick).

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #8414 on: June 30, 2020, 07:34:43 PM »
It’s the depressing merrygoround names we end up wanting. Dyche yes, has no money and done ok at Burnley. Yet he would spunk his wad at having money to spend, like Bruce did and still serve up the depressing style of football that would see us one year in the top half of the table and another circling with the turds at the bottom. People want fat Sam, another dinosaur that only works short term for many clubs. Moyes was bandied about a few years ago, again dire turgid football. Smith may come good, probably not yet but we need proven coaching staff who aren’t stuck in the past couples with players of a quality to work to a game plan and a game plan that doesn’t consist of hoofing the ball up the field and hoping someone gets it or inviting our star player to get mauled so we can win a free kick (then usually spoon the kick).

Absolutely spot on post. Not sure it will go down too well on this thread though!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal