collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by oldtimernow
[Today at 09:47:59 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Dante Lavelli
[Today at 09:45:57 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 09:42:19 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523248 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #7560 on: May 26, 2020, 10:28:36 AM »
I wish that we had binned Smith off when we had chance before this lockdown issue. It is probably too late now and we will have to see if he can get a tune out of his squad to save us. We can't possibly be any worse than we were before lockdown, as we were nailed on for relegation before Corona Virus saved us.

Smith is likeable but I would have zero confidence in him getting us back up is a team sans Grealish, and not much confidence in us improving if we stay up. He has had us playing awful football and some of the most gutless team performances I have ever witnessed. He has spent a lot of money on a squad that lacks any balance and blew a fortune on a truly terrible centre forward.

If we could attract pochettino then we should do so without hesitation.
Some of what you say is true, but I really don't think it's fair blaming him for the transfer business.  Suso has to take that one.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #7561 on: May 26, 2020, 11:04:08 AM »
I wish that we had binned Smith off when we had chance before this lockdown issue. It is probably too late now and we will have to see if he can get a tune out of his squad to save us. We can't possibly be any worse than we were before lockdown, as we were nailed on for relegation before Corona Virus saved us.

Smith is likeable but I would have zero confidence in him getting us back up is a team sans Grealish, and not much confidence in us improving if we stay up. He has had us playing awful football and some of the most gutless team performances I have ever witnessed. He has spent a lot of money on a squad that lacks any balance and blew a fortune on a truly terrible centre forward.

If we could attract pochettino then we should do so without hesitation.
Some of what you say is true, but I really don't think it's fair blaming him for the transfer business.  Suso has to take that one.

All clubs make mistakes on transfers.  I think the blame should be pointed at the amount of players that needed to be brought in over such a short space of time.  It would have been nice to say that the Club spent the last 3 months of the season looking at possible additions but, in reality, we were so far back that the focus was getting promotion, not what we would do if we got promotion.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #7562 on: May 26, 2020, 11:36:09 AM »
re the earlier discussion regarding Poch.  In princial I'd definitely take him.  But I never thought we would be in the running for him even if we were talking about a normal end to the season.  It would be incredibly dificult for any manager to take over a team and finish off this car crash of a season, so I don't really think it's feasible to make a change in the current circumstances even if the Board wanted to.

If Poch was available in the summer I'd definitely take him.  But if we do finish well and survive, assuming Poch isn't available I wouldn't be in a rush to replace Deano unless an outstanding candidate became available.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #7563 on: May 26, 2020, 11:40:28 AM »
If we went down I think they’ll keep Smith for the campaign to get back up. However if we stay up I can see them looking to upgrade. Funny old world isn’t it.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #7564 on: May 26, 2020, 11:46:09 AM »
If we went down I think they’ll keep Smith for the campaign to get back up. However if we stay up I can see them looking to upgrade. Funny old world isn’t it.

I'd go with that as well.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #7565 on: May 26, 2020, 12:06:10 PM »
I think that’s how I see it.
If the mission is completed then Villa may well look elsewhere regarding a manager.
Drop down to the Championship and it’s still Smith in charge for me.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7566 on: May 26, 2020, 01:03:16 PM »

Probably likely but he'd surely be sacked if we lost 7-8 of our last 10 and went down with a real whimper. It was looking a big possibility before the break considering we hadn't picked up a point since January 21st and it's not like the fixtures were even that tough, will be plenty of tougher games when it restarts so we need to show real physical and mental improvements in the team.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #7567 on: May 26, 2020, 02:36:58 PM »
If we go down, he has to go. You can't relegate a club of our stature and stay on, we aren't some pointless Albion-type team.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #7568 on: May 26, 2020, 04:37:15 PM »
If we go down, he has to go. You can't relegate a club of our stature and stay on, we aren't some pointless Albion-type team.

I think you always have to look at it objectively and ask yourself the question, can the manager take you to the next level?  If the answer is yes, he stay, if no, he goes.  Sacking of a manager should not be punishment for relegation.  Surviving by a point compared with being relegated by a point could be just down to luck/bad luck in one game, should not be the difference between being retained or sacked.

The above is a simplified view as there are many factors that have to be considered but you should always be looking to the future, not the past.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #7569 on: May 26, 2020, 05:59:56 PM »
We all "saw something" in Jack Grealish long before Smith rocked up.  Legion was the first poster to flag up Jack's ability six years ago on this forum.

Sorry I meaning that Smith saw something in him, Jack,  to be a captain. Previous managers never made him this so thought quite insight by Dean

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #7570 on: May 26, 2020, 07:35:53 PM »
We all "saw something" in Jack Grealish long before Smith rocked up.  Legion was the first poster to flag up Jack's ability six years ago on this forum.

Sorry I meaning that Smith saw something in him, Jack,  to be a captain. Previous managers never made him this so thought quite insight by Dean

He made a Villa fan Captain, yes, but perhaps to keep him calm because he's known for being a wide-boy, which is why he broke lockdown and you wanted him hung at that time.  Don't worry about the double standards, I don't think anyone noticed!

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #7571 on: May 26, 2020, 07:40:29 PM »

I think you always have to look at it objectively and ask yourself the question, can the manager take you to the next level?  If the answer is yes, he stay, if no, he goes.  Sacking of a manager should not be punishment for relegation.  Surviving by a point compared with being relegated by a point could be just down to luck/bad luck in one game, should not be the difference between being retained or sacked.

The above is a simplified view as there are many factors that have to be considered but you should always be looking to the future, not the past.

Ordinarily, I'd agree, but the fact that we have got worse as the season has gone on, I think Dean is out of his depth and clearly is not getting the best out of the players. We haven't been relegated yet but Smith smacks of Graham Turner to me.  I agree with others, if he takes us down, ditch him.  Others who are saying that Suso should go too, fair enough, but I doubt Suso acted alone during the signings of Jota, Konsa and Drinkwater.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 07:48:05 PM by Newby »

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #7572 on: May 26, 2020, 07:53:17 PM »

Is the right answer.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #7573 on: May 26, 2020, 10:02:18 PM »
Mad report doing the rounds that Savo Milosevic will be coming in to manage us at the end of the season.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #7574 on: May 26, 2020, 10:05:43 PM »
Is it April the first?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal