collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:54:17 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:51:38 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:50:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 10:47:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523377 times)

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #7530 on: May 23, 2020, 10:30:17 AM »
We have more chance of winning 9 out of the next ten games, the project he’s hinting at is  quite likely Nufc imo.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7531 on: May 23, 2020, 05:26:44 PM »
We have more chance of winning 9 out of the next ten games, the project he’s hinting at is  quite likely Nufc imo.
Well, that is rumoured in the UK press.
Why not Villa, if he wants a project?

Offline tony scott

« Reply #7532 on: May 23, 2020, 09:54:24 PM »
I just don’t think we’re ambitious enough. I love the club, but to attract him you have to offer him the future resources he would expect I just don’t see us doing it , without the big negative of the position we’re in, I would love to be wrong.

Offline ez

« Reply #7533 on: May 23, 2020, 10:10:40 PM »
I just don’t think we’re ambitious enough. I love the club, but to attract him you have to offer him the future resources he would expect I just don’t see us doing it , without the big negative of the position we’re in, I would love to be wrong.

I agree.  The owners have made noises about how ambitious they are and the desire for champions league football but its worn thin on me. Would any other club with champions league ambitions leave Dean Smith in place and give him a new contract.

Offline nigel

« Reply #7534 on: May 23, 2020, 10:21:45 PM »

I think our owners are in a position to offer anything he wants.
You are right, though, our league position is a downside

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #7535 on: May 23, 2020, 10:54:22 PM »
With £200m at stake they certainly seem to have a lot of faith in Dean. I'm not sure I'd be as patient but I do admire their loyalty.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #7536 on: May 24, 2020, 12:05:46 AM »
I think it's interests of fairness and sporting chance for Dean Smith to have longer and definitely remain whenever season takes off again.
He's the coach who has taken us up to the premier league it's only a year ago .
Maybe , which is understood , during these times people forget that and just remember recent history . Like the 4-0 trouncing at Leicester. But let's not forget the league cup final And also Smith signed an extended contract.

Think he's not only capable but very determined to see Villa stay up and us progress.
I rather have him for now and see if he can get us over the line.
Every other avenues are a risk especially given this extended break.
And if Villa do go down Smith is proven in the championship and can certainly take us back up with a squad that will have grown with experience.
I imagine Dean Smith has got some great ideas on how Villa can win matches and would be looking to implement his footballing strategies again in these small group training sessions.
Smith all about learning , teaching and coaching good football philosophy .
Key to us staying up is Deano getting his message understood. I don't see him making same mistakes now with team and tactics he made before lockdown.

Offline tony scott

« Reply #7537 on: May 24, 2020, 04:18:37 AM »
Good post, just out of interest if Pochettino became available to us, would you not want us approach him ?

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #7538 on: May 24, 2020, 10:26:58 AM »
Good post, just out of interest if Pochettino became available to us, would you not want us approach him ?

If we had the Pochettino who was the vibrant coach as at Southampton then yes. Perfect.
Development of academy players and good attacking competitive football.

Bu I think this way of him has gone and spurs job changed him.
He was a coach who could get unexpected results with Southampton.
Then he just became a coach who got expected results for a consistent period with spurs and never had the edge to go to next level.

I don't have much impression he would be any measure significantly better than Deano or some other coaches who could win a match more than villa expect too.

With Spurs they hardly showed up away from home against the big clubs - he's a coach who lost the ability he had in the premier league to win unexpectedly.
The away record in his time at spurs against big 6 was shocking for a competing club.
What he did go because of both the squad of players and his tactical set up was get the players to win games.

Spurs reached their peak though with him as a manager . Poch ran out if ideas and then went spectacularly stale.
They displayed that shocking form and performances in many away matches after a while and not just in the big six fixtures..
Pochettino coaching actually went from being the best performing Premier League away team to the worst and was a major reason and indication to Poch being sacked.

I think that gave an indication of Pochettino.
Maybe circumstances of having his head turned by PSG , Real Madrid , Man Utd was distracting.
But to be a really good and skilled coach in his position with his resources at Spurs he would have won a trophy.
He be a manager outside of cup competition and one off cup matches to win when not expected .
Heck that performance by Spurs in the European champions League final was embrassing. For all the good they did to get there.

In our circumstances he could bring something of course. But has he got some ambitious nature above his station ?
Like he thinks now he should be somewhere or wants to be some where with a very decent chance of a trophy. Or is he holding out for the financial aspect like Newcastle for a job security and big resources?

Is he really good enough for Real Madrid . PSG -probably where he's best suited ,and having played for them too is a fit. A position where he has great resources would allow him to give him reputation of being a success in at least winning domestic titles. However I don't know if they totally trust he could deliver the European trophy.

I'm not any more confident of that man in charge of villa than with Deano in charge during this time.
I just think Pochettino experience is actually a hindrances to how he now coaches. And that he doesn't have the loyalty  that Dean Smith undoubtedly does

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7539 on: May 24, 2020, 03:10:20 PM »
If we had the Pochettino who was the vibrant coach as at Southampton then yes. Perfect.
Development of academy players and good attacking competitive football.
But I think this way of him has gone and spurs job changed him.
He was a coach who could get unexpected results with Southampton.
Then he just became a coach who got expected results for a consistent period with spurs and never had the edge to go to next level.
I'm not any more confident of that man in charge of villa than with Deano in charge during this time.
I just think Pochettino experience is actually a hindrances to how he now coaches. And that he doesn't have the loyalty  that Dean Smith undoubtedly does
So, at Spurs he finished third, second, third and fourth in seasons two to five of his tenure; and got them to the EuroChump Final, losing to Liverpool (widely regarded as one of the best teams in the world at the moment).
He worked within the constraints placed upon him by Levy and obviously became very frustrated at the lack of comparable investment last summer that would have enabled the team to continue competing at the top of the table.

If our owners could persuade him to take on the Villa project, we'd be crazy not to bring him in ... and, his appointment would give the club a little more prestige in the goldfish bowl that is top-quality professional football.

For someone who clearly reads alot around football, Footy, your blindspots* are interesting to note.

* we all have them, in different measure.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #7540 on: May 24, 2020, 03:25:08 PM »
I'd jump at the chance to get him in.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7541 on: May 24, 2020, 03:35:17 PM »
When you look at his transfer budget at Spurs compared to other top teams, he did a great job in my view. We would be nuts not to get him if it was feasible.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #7542 on: May 24, 2020, 03:37:10 PM »
I'd jump at the chance to get him in.

Ditto.  I'd do it today.  There is generally no loyalty in football and Villa hanging on to Dean, as grateful as we are to him for getting us up, is likely to mean we go straight back down and lose our best players.  Dean has shown he's limited and needs longer lower down the pyramid.  One day, he might come back and be brilliant. 

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #7543 on: May 24, 2020, 04:24:15 PM »
Can't think of a better possible candidate for the job.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #7544 on: May 24, 2020, 06:04:00 PM »
Supposes he does come.
And how long would expect him to stay if he did manage to work his Southampton type magic and some early spurs form and get us competing beyond expectations .

Some other club will come in.
And he would just go and not hang around.
Whereas Dean wouldn't walk out on us

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal