collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Pete3206
[Today at 01:38:56 AM]

Re: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Rory
[Today at 01:30:04 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1538048 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #6900 on: February 25, 2020, 09:28:03 AM »
I think we should be moving back to 433 but with two of the 3 sitting in front of the defence. You'll still have 4 attacking players available and cover for the full backs.

The issue is for me not just individual errors at the back, but the ease with which pressure is placed on the defence with such a porous midfield.
I guess the question is who are the 2 to hold?

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #6901 on: February 25, 2020, 09:47:42 AM »
I think we should be moving back to 433 but with two of the 3 sitting in front of the defence. You'll still have 4 attacking players available and cover for the full backs.

The issue is for me not just individual errors at the back, but the ease with which pressure is placed on the defence with such a porous midfield.

I dint think nakamba and luiz works. For me it would be nakamba and conor. Luiz needs to be dropped for his recent poor displays.

When mcginns back him conor and nakamba. Luiz as cover

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #6902 on: February 25, 2020, 10:14:20 AM »

I dint think nakamba and luiz works. For me it would be nakamba and conor. Luiz needs to be dropped for his recent poor displays.

Hourihane has zero impact when we do not have the ball - he is not the answer to the holding / defensive midfield.
If he plays, he has to be further up the field, safe in the knowledge that we have holding MF sorted.
Which we don't; so, should he play?!

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #6903 on: February 25, 2020, 10:25:30 AM »
If we had some pace up front Hourihane and Luiz both have a pass on them to expose the defence.

Our problem has been that we've no outlet and nobody to chase those opportunities.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6904 on: February 25, 2020, 11:21:25 AM »
Our problem is not scoring goals, it's conceding them.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #6905 on: February 25, 2020, 02:11:46 PM »
It might take years and years to get over Smith at this rate.

Blimey, that's a tad over the top to be honest.

And, having just about got over Bruce and not quite having got over Lambert.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #6906 on: February 25, 2020, 02:31:22 PM »

Hourihane has zero impact when we do not have the ball - he is not the answer to the holding / defensive midfield.
If he plays, he has to be further up the field, safe in the knowledge that we have holding MF sorted.
Which we don't; so, should he play?!

But what he does offer is a tgreat at set pieces and has a tasty shot on him.

What does luiz do? Lose the ball and make mistakes. His age and inexperience is showing. I like him though as i think he has massive potential.

I think conor is better up top as you say but he can do a job in cm. He certainly doesnt make that many bad passes or msitakes like luiz has been

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6907 on: February 25, 2020, 02:35:52 PM »

I think if he relegates us, you'll see it'll have quite a deleterious effect.  You once thought I was mental saying that we'd be close to administration if our owner couldn't support us any more, and yet under Xia we came very close to doing just that.  That wouldn't be the case under the new owners, but we would have to lose Jack, and almost certainly Mings, Heaton and McGinn as well, and then rebuild from scratch.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #6908 on: February 25, 2020, 02:41:52 PM »
"years and years"
How many would that be exactly only I need to build that into my planning?

Offline sid1964

« Reply #6909 on: February 25, 2020, 02:46:12 PM »
I would have thought if we get relegated, then there would be quite a few who would not want to stick around to have the weekly battle in the Championship.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #6910 on: February 25, 2020, 02:48:36 PM »
Luiz needs to be played further forward or not at all, he is not a DM. I wish we had got Delph instead of him !

Offline Drummond

« Reply #6911 on: February 25, 2020, 02:59:52 PM »

I think if he relegates us, you'll see it'll have quite a deleterious effect.  You once thought I was mental saying that we'd be close to administration if our owner couldn't support us any more, and yet under Xia we came very close to doing just that.  That wouldn't be the case under the new owners, but we would have to lose Jack, and almost certainly Mings, Heaton and McGinn as well, and then rebuild from scratch.

Except we'd have a squad of players who are on long contracts and still improving. With a handful of new signings I think we'd be fine.

I think the clamour for Jack would be too much and I don't think we should stand in his way. I'm not so sure about the rest.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6912 on: February 25, 2020, 03:02:10 PM »

Except we'd have a squad of players who are on long contracts and still improving. With a handful of new signings I think we'd be fine.

I think the clamour for Jack would be too much and I don't think we should stand in his way. I'm not so sure about the rest.

Mings who's just broken into the Englamd team, think he'd stick around for the Championship?  Likewise McGinn, no way he's going to turn down a move to a bigger club.  In any case, we'd have to sell even if we didn't want to, being back in the Championship would crucify us for FFP otherwise.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #6913 on: February 25, 2020, 03:05:36 PM »

Mings who's just broken into the Englamd team, think he'd stick around for the Championship?  Likewise McGinn, no way he's going to turn down a move to a bigger club.  In any case, we'd have to sell even if we didn't want to, being back in the Championship would crucify us for FFP otherwise.

If we sold Grealish, allied with the parachute payments, we'd be fine for a season I'd have thought.

With the others having a decent amount of time left on their contracts, we'd get a good fee if they were to go, which could be reinvested. We could loan them to a club in the Premier League for a decent fee.....

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6914 on: February 25, 2020, 03:07:30 PM »
We could loan them to a club in the Premier League for a decent fee.....

That's actually a very good idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal